Write a book about it.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Write a book about it.

Post by Helios » #646577

Playing Sunless Seas recently, the Seven Canto Ambition was a pretty great. It makes me question if /tg/station books could have an in game effect.
Here's what I am suggesting. After getting a certain accomplishment, the next book a player writes and autographs will cause other players who read it to get a minor benefit. I don't want assistants running to the library, printing out the same 5 books and unlocking every perk every round, so the library catalog has no game effect.
Let me give some examples of achievements, and the perks they would unlock
Gold card Member :capid: :Requires the author to save 10,000 credits: The reader is better at managing their credits, and gets paid 10% more for the rest of the round
Advanced Machinery Operator :ai: :Requires the author to construct a Mech or Artificial Intelligence. (Perk is unlocked after last weld of the mech, or screwing in the reinforced glass of the AI): Reader can use a PDA with the flashlight on as a flash against Cyborgs.
Big Game Hunter: :xeno: :Requires the author to defeat a lavaland boss: Reader's fists now do the same amount of damage to Lavaland creatures as a basic kinetic accelerator.
Heroic Bender :whiskey: :Bartender mains could probably come up with a better list for this. After an author has consumed a certain list of drinks, the bender is complete: Readers beers and drinks last 1 more sip at the bar, so they can enjoy their drink just that little bit more.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Re: Write a book about it.

Post by Helios » #649471

This could also be turned into a game mode, where authors are capitalists and communists. If you read a book being pushed at the library, expecting to learn a perk, but instead get "You gain Capitalist/Communist Sympathies". The first 3 people after gaining sympathies who achieve a perk become "successful Capitalist/Communist author". Subsequent perk unlockers will become "Followers of Capitalism/Communism"
Capitalism and communism have additional perks for each author, and every time the author learns a new perk and expands their legend. while the followers only learn from what they read. So if Marx goes to lavaland and slays a boss, his followers will Big game Hunter, he will learn that perk and gain an additional communist perk.
Capitalists perks are about exchanging credits for useful items, while communists are about communal ownership, and have backpacks that are shared between players, so players can take only what they need. Both would have their own radio channel, and reading 3 books by capitalists or communists would unlock sunglasses, which would reveal the political preferences of whoever they are looking at, whether they are capitalist, communist, or neutral.