Save Game??

A place to record your ideas for the game.
ThisIsOurLifeNow
Byond Username: DownSyndronater

Save Game??

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #650297

Definitely a 100% huge undertaking and i am not expecting to see this implemented at least until next year but would be a huge bonus if it is. Basically the save game could

a)Save Changes made to the station[layout and new areas created,AI,Computers,Machines etc]
b)Items dropped by players could also get saved at that dropped location or get deleted if the player dosen't drop them
c)No player state is saved, after loading the save game all players will have to re-enter through the shuttle

Why? because the station could be made bigger by the engineering department and other players , so imagine saving these changes and loading them back in ,overtime we could create massive worlds .

Currently the only way i save the server is by either
a)Putting my computer in hibernate mode [not good for the computers overall health in the long run ]
b)Running the server in an VM[HyperV for windows] and creating VM checkpoints to mimic save games and finally saving the VM state before i shutdown[Occasionally the VM gets updates which require an restart and all progress is lost and other problems also occur just as it would with a normal hibernate]

Creating an save game file would be much more efficient than the above 2 methods. Would love to see this happen :)
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Re: Save Game??

Post by Time-Green » #650303

There’s not really any demand for this in-game. Making stuff save just means that, not only are assistants armed this round, they’ll be armed all rounds. Grief will persist, people hide gamergear for next shift (see old stealth-satchels)

There’s a few cases where this would be cool, but mostly it’ll just be a tool for extreme powergaming and multi-round griefing. It would be easier to just make the round last longer and add periodic escape shuttles for people who are done

If you really want this for personal use, you’re probably going to have to code it yourself or pay someone else to code it for you. Just saving objects is not hard at all, but saving every bit of important information of that object (and by god we have a lot of unique objects, systems, interactions, references etc) would be practically impossible

There might be a way to “pause and store” the game to continue where you left similairly to your VM safestate? Someone more knowledgeable in extools might know how possible that is
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Re: Save Game??

Post by VexingRaven » #650319

ThisIsOurLifeNow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 pm a)Putting my computer in hibernate mode [not good for the computers overall health in the long run ]
There's nothing about hibernate that's inherently bad for a computer.
ThisIsOurLifeNow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 pm b)Running the server in an VM[HyperV for windows] and creating VM checkpoints to mimic save games and finally saving the VM state before i shutdown[Occasionally the VM gets updates which require an restart and all progress is lost and other problems also occur just as it would with a normal hibernate]
You could use Linux for this and avoid the forced updates, or even Windows Server with updates completely turned off.