Engineering rewards for high power, structures that need it

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Engineering rewards for high power, structures that need it

Post by Man_Shroom » #77832

Engineering should have incentives and rewards for increasing the power in the grid. Perhaps various structures and items could do things depending on how much power is in the grid.

The gateway could activate if the power is over a certain number
Special gloves that do more damage if there is more power, perhaps 5 damage extra for every million watts.
Meteors get buffed so that they hit a wall, drill forward a bit, and explode, and you can get meteor shields that block them for, guess what, power in the grid.

As is, the only reason to have power in the grid is so you can brag about high numbers and to maybe fry whatever assistant is too dumb to know how to hack a door properly. Engineering is the job you pick if you have to leave, but still want to help the station. Set up the singulo then kill yourself because hey, you have completed your job. Please add features to it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Engineering rewards for high power, structures that need

Post by lumipharon » #77836

The reward is if some power generation goes down, the station isn't fucked.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #77840

The reward is shocking asshat assistants to death when they fuck with things.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #77847

It's pretty funny when it's malf, and people get 1 hit crit from shocked doors, after the AI used lockdown because everything is wired into the grid.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #77866

It would be nice if both box and metastation had setups ready for all types of engines. The supermatter engine and TEG could see some use.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #77877

Tokiko2 wrote:It would be nice if both box and metastation had setups ready for all types of engines. The supermatter engine and TEG could see some use.
I like this idea. The CE gets to choose between several power sources, each with their own benefits and ways of fucking over the station. Just to clarify, how do the supermatter and TEG engines work?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #77883

They don't have their own benefits though. They just provide power. Unless the engines are changed to have such advantages/disadvantages, it wouldn't be a terribly interesting change.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #77889

There is literally zero effort in maximizing power output, why should it be rewarded?
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #77890

Scott wrote:There is literally zero effort in maximizing power output, why should it be rewarded?
Building a second engine does take quite a bit of effort though, which is what could be required to get the rewards. I do agree that simply maximizing the existing engine power output should not give rewards.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #77892

I think this'd be nice, of course the station's power demands should be seriously changed first.

Make it so machines like autolathes and exosuit fabs have their construction speed dictated largely by the power setting on them, making them drain a significant amount of their APC if they're on very high power but being much faster. Having emitters shoot more frequently, to make it easier to fight blobs etc.

This however only benefits the crew, not the engineers. Ironically engineers don't actually use machines, fabrication, or power much more than anyone. I can't think of too many things that DEMAND power in this game like that.
Apparently I was an director or something.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #77895

WJohnston wrote:I think this'd be nice, of course the station's power demands should be seriously changed first.

Make it so machines like autolathes and exosuit fabs have their construction speed dictated largely by the power setting on them, making them drain a significant amount of their APC if they're on very high power but being much faster. Having emitters shoot more frequently, to make it easier to fight blobs etc.

This however only benefits the crew, not the engineers. Ironically engineers don't actually use machines, fabrication, or power much more than anyone. I can't think of too many things that DEMAND power in this game like that.
So power settings and parts? Could work.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #77905

how about

how about nanotrasen powersinks. They're not actually powersinks that fuck up the station but they're powersinks that absorb a lotta electricity, which can then be shipped back to centcom via cargo for points. The nanotrasen powersinks absorb a lot of power, I'm talking like a singulo wired into the grid for fifteen, maybe even twenty minutes to be fully charge one of those NT sinks, which might encourage more adventurous engineering teams to build extra power sources.

And obviously, the NT sinks should get cargo a lot of points, say around a 100, maybe more. Or maybe the NT sinks can be redeemed somehow via a machine in the same way mining redeem their ores nowadays. Engineering could get their own version of mining points while still benefiting cargo. Engineering points could be used to buy engineering jetpacks, magboots, solar pack crates, more emergency shield generators etc.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #77927

imblyings wrote:how about

how about nanotrasen powersinks. They're not actually powersinks that fuck up the station but they're powersinks that absorb a lotta electricity, which can then be shipped back to centcom via cargo for points. The nanotrasen powersinks absorb a lot of power, I'm talking like a singulo wired into the grid for fifteen, maybe even twenty minutes to be fully charge one of those NT sinks, which might encourage more adventurous engineering teams to build extra power sources.

And obviously, the NT sinks should get cargo a lot of points, say around a 100, maybe more. Or maybe the NT sinks can be redeemed somehow via a machine in the same way mining redeem their ores nowadays. Engineering could get their own version of mining points while still benefiting cargo. Engineering points could be used to buy engineering jetpacks, magboots, solar pack crates, more emergency shield generators etc.
so it's a battery that you send off via cargo shuttle to get fat cargo points
:+1:
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #77960

whatever is done i do think the powergrid needs to be more complicated. ideally it should be possible to cut off power to sections from engineering via console, and the powerdraw needs to be higher and less easy to fulfill; in particular botany, R&D, and medical should probably consume more power. i do like the idea about machines working faster on more power. coders pls implement
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #78083

If you know how the cables are set up you can bypass or cut off entire parts of the station and most people won't know how to fix it.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #78093

Powernets are so simple but obsuficated its literally on or off we really do need to overhaul it at somepoint.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #78104

Jalleo wrote:Powernets are so simple but obsuficated its literally on or off we really do need to overhaul it at somepoint.
Do we really want to turn the powernet into atmos though?

I mean atmos has a very direct effect on the player, being able to breathe. The powernet works for what we have currently, unless we get some fancy new machinery or controls like electrical gates.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #78126

I would actually totally be for requiring a knot beneath a door in order to make it electric.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #78128

I would love is wiring was used more, it'd be pretty cool.
Hey.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #78153

unlike atmos piping it can be easily extended from the rest of the powergrid, so i don't see why not. honestly though, engineering gets no love mostly because it's only necessary in a disaster, the skillset is moderately involved and the player zeitgeist never really allows it to become useful. the other day we had two engiborgs and a hallway blew up. shuttle was immediately called and stayed called even after we had basically fixed it.

it's an unrewarding profession for this reason and giving it more depth would be a welcome change imo.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #78328

MisterPerson wrote:They don't have their own benefits though. They just provide power. Unless the engines are changed to have such advantages/disadvantages, it wouldn't be a terribly interesting change.
I was thinking something along the lines of this. A few I had in mind:

Singularity engine: Provides a massive amount of power, enough to single-handedly power the station. Most catastrophic failure
Nuclear: Runs on Uranium. Provides a medium-high amount of power. Station-wide EMP and large explosion on failure
Plasma: Runs on Plasma. Provides a medium-high amount of power. Massive explosion on failure.
Combustion: Runs on flammable gasses. Provides a medium-low amount of power. Solar needed for axillary power. Catches fire on failure.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #78334

Where's the S&M fit into this?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: