Heavy Magnetic Boots

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Heavy Magnetic Boots

Post by Gun Hog » #78227

I have been thinking about this for a while. Actually, not just thinking, I coded them a little. A heavy version of magboots which sets your "anchored" var in addition to the normal magboot effects. The drawback here is that they would have a stronger slowdown. Setting the "anchored" var should prevent all forms of pushing, pulling, throwing, and generally things that force you to move against your will. I am not sure if it affords extra protection against singularity (with the exception of the max size one, which pulls EVERYTHING except turfs) pull, I need an Engineer player's advice here.

I would like the player base's opinion on this. What should heavy magboots do to warrant their extra slowdown and cost? How much extra slowdown should they have? Is this idea bad and am I just wasting my time? Comment below! (Please be constructive, as posts containing only "I hate it." or "It is bad" or similar statements have no value.)

My quick and rough code is as follows:

Code: Select all

------SCIENCE DESIGN------
/datum/design/heavymagboots
	name = "Heavy Magnetic Boots"
	desc = "High energy magnetic boots, for working in dangerous gravimetric environments."
	id = "heavymagboots"
	req_tech = list("materials" = 7, "magnets" = 6, "engineering" = 6)
	build_type = PROTOLATHE
	materials = list("$metal" = 7500, "$silver" = 2000, "$gold" = 2500, "$uranium" = 1250)
	build_path = /obj/item/clothing/shoes/magboots/heavy
	category = list("Equipement")

------MAGBOOT CODE ITSELF-----

/obj/item/clothing/shoes/magboots/heavy
	desc = "Powerful magnetic boots calibrated to the strongest magnitude. Significant lost of mobility is to be expected when using these."
	name = "heavy magboots"
	icon_state = "heavymag0"
	magboot_state = "heavymag"
	slowdown_active = 3

/obj/item/clothing/shoes/magboots/attack_self(mob/user)
	..(user)
	user.anchored = magpulse
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Heavy Magnetic Boots

Post by MisterPerson » #78296

tbh I was thinking it might be best to just buff magboots in general and give them no downsides at all. Or at least nothing major enough to justify toggling them on and off.

Still magboots do need a buff. If nothing else, they should stop weaker airflow and singulo pulling.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #78298

Wait they don't stop singulo pulling? What's the point of them then? Not even airflow?

Yeah just add these to the magboots and fix those two above problems. There's no need to have two separate items for it, magboots are balanced by their rarity and their slowdown already.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #78312

They do stop singularity pull and being pushed by space wind, or at least it seems that way. I just do not play Engineer enough to say that with absolute confidence. I walked out into the field wearing magboots and a suit, and from that I was unaffected by the singularity except for the EMP blasts.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #78323

They don't affect space wind; you'll still be dragged towards a breach (and then into space), even while they're active.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #78349

Oh, I just tested it. They DO block singulo movement.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #78403

Magboots are limited enough to not really need heavy downsides. You've got the CE's and then like what, 4 more in EVA?
The slowdown is enough of a detrimental factor to not powergame with them all over the station for what, blocking the miniscule space wind you encounter during rounds?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #78498

I really want to suggest that heavy magboots should let you curbstomp dudes on the floor for bigger unarmed damage, but that's probably a wholly pointless addition.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #78855

Balut wrote:I really want to suggest that heavy magboots should let you curbstomp dudes on the floor for bigger unarmed damage, but that's probably a wholly pointless addition.
Bay has this (or had a PR for it)
I seem to recall not liking the implementation (and I don't think they did either)
私は完璧