Fixed-length rounds

A place to record your ideas for the game.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Fixed-length rounds

Post by rockpecker » #78665

In the interest of encouraging engineers and medical to actually fix shit rather than "oh no call the shuttle", and giving other departments like botany and genetics time to make some progress before getting reset, I propose that every round be one hour of game time. No more, no less. At one hour the crew transfer shuttle arrives.
Remove the AI.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Fixed-length rounds

Post by Saegrimr » #78667

Sounds great until singulo gets loose at roundstart and you have a server full of ghosts and like three dudes huddled in a pod for 45 minutes.
Or revs dunk the heads 10 minutes in.
Or cult manages to get their 10 minute narsie in because they didn't fuck around (never happens anyway).
Or nuke ops show up.
Or toxins gets their bomb on.
Or just about any situation other than changeling snorefest.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #78668

I think he means that while the Emergency Evac shuttle can be called at any point, but that by the one hour mark a Transfer Shuttle will be sent without a possibility of recall or delay.

To be frank I'm quite receptive to the idea.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #78669

If the emergency shuttle can be called at any point, what's the point of making engineers/medical fix things? (You know, the point of his post)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #78672

Steelpoint wrote:I think he means that while the Emergency Evac shuttle can be called at any point, but that by the one hour mark a Transfer Shuttle will be sent without a possibility of recall or delay.
To clarify, I am proposing that we remove the emergency shuttle.
Saegrimr wrote:Sounds great until singulo gets loose at roundstart and you have a server full of ghosts and like three dudes huddled in a pod for 45 minutes.
Don't let that happen, then.
Or revs dunk the heads 10 minutes in.
Don't let that happen, then. (Though then the revs get 50 minutes of actually running the station as a reward for their success.)
Or cult manages to get their 10 minute narsie in because they didn't fuck around (never happens anyway).
Don't let that happen, then. You get the idea.

It's not like we're going to have a truly persistent station that gets increasingly fucked up over time. It's a one-hour reset. If everyone's dead and nothing interesting is ever going to happen, then an admin could still reset the server, of course. But having a big IC reset button encourages pushing it at the first sign of trouble.
Remove the AI.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #78679

If "Don't let that happen" was the magical fix-all for these things, they would never happen. Grab your red shoes and go on a journey to meta all the antags till they can't perform so you can plant potatoes for an hour and do it again.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #78685

Mulligan Antag was designed to solve the problem your having here in some cases, but I can't code a system that will keep shitty heads from calling the shuttle ASAP without any solid reasoning.

People need to remember you call the emergency shuttle to admit you lost, not to boast you won.

Also yeah the game was not designed for fixed length rounds in the slightest.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #78689

I don't know why people are constantly pushing for longer rounds. It sounds very game-centric but seriously, once all the antags are dead, the chance of anything interesting happening in lieu of admins drops to almost null. If the Blob is dead, if the Wizard is dead, if the Malf AI is dead. Several players have probably permanently been removed from the round: Go home. Start a new round. You dealt with the threat for the round and now it's time to start over again.

While we're talking about Mulligan, can Incoming PLEASE add a check to see if Hostile Lockdown was used by a Malf AI? That should 100% prevent the round from mulliganning considering it fucks up every door on the station. I always end malf rounds for that exact reason.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #78693

What if a round lasts longer than an hour and people don't want it to end?
There's the argument that ghosts want to join in the new round, but they should just join Basil.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #78712

Scones wrote:I don't know why people are constantly pushing for longer rounds. It sounds very game-centric but seriously, once all the antags are dead, the chance of anything interesting happening in lieu of admins drops to almost null. If the Blob is dead, if the Wizard is dead, if the Malf AI is dead. Several players have probably permanently been removed from the round: Go home. Start a new round. You dealt with the threat for the round and now it's time to start over again.

While we're talking about Mulligan, can Incoming PLEASE add a check to see if Hostile Lockdown was used by a Malf AI? That should 100% prevent the round from mulliganning considering it fucks up every door on the station. I always end malf rounds for that exact reason.
Scones the whole reason admins get a prompt to end the round if they feel it should end is BECAUSE of stuff like hostile lockdown. You ARE the check!

Also the whole point of mulligans was to keep those otherwise hypershort rounds from being boring, but the system was bugged to throw extended mulligans (which ARE boring) way too often. That has been fixed for the last few days but it doesn't mean anything if people just auto call the shuttle anyways. Why is everyone always in such a rush to stop playing?

Edit: That said the system isn't finished yet and I hope to at some point soon have more options to allow for better control of mulligans. Stick with me on this one, it's coming.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!