Sec helmet camera alternative, kinda like voice recorders

A place to record your ideas for the game.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Sec helmet camera alternative, kinda like voice recorders

Post by imblyings » #79027

Instead of a camera though, would it be possible to replace them with lapel sound recorderss or something, which log voices and actions like so this,

[Common] Grey McGrey hisses, "chelp antag killing me"
Grey McGrey hisses, "chelp antag killing me"
Antag has slashed Grey McGrey!!
Antag yells, "get rekt!!"

becomes

Unknown has slashed Unknown!!
Antag yells, "get rekt!!"

So voices are logged with their names but actions aren't logged with names. The recorder might be only able to record say fifty lines or so, maybe more lines via RnD, maybe RnD can even upgrade the recorder to record names for actions. The recorder will automatically send complete logs to a server in telecomms or maybe a second server in the brig. The recorders themselves might use a power cell or whatever so they can't be used constantly.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: Sec helmet camera alternative, kinda like voice recorder

Post by Cheimon » #79087

That's not going to help anyone much, since the meta will immediately switch to: if you're killing someone, keep silent.

Not that talking happens much in a fight anyway, but it is occasionally a thing. Or just after.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #79111

It should only recognize the voice of the officer. Thus whoever killed the officer can give a warning or an edgy message or some shit i dunno
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #79141

>Bodycams conveniently stop working when I'm HoS and traitors end up dead
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #79167

It's not meant to help much because the feedback in the sec camera seem to think antags will have it too hard in a hypothetical situation where sec cameras are widely used.

And it's also partially meant to give the detective something to play with as well. If we can get clocks other than the ones on our PDA, so that station time is easily viewable to all players, we could even start matching lapel recorder logs to time or whatever for alibis and whatever. Of course a lot of rounds go too fast or not enough people have that awareness but still.

Bodycams would be on demand, not continuously operating, otherwise it'd be filled with Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip! Grey ShitMcTail does a flip!Grey ShitMcTail does a flip!

Anyway this is just an idea, sec cameras as they are right now might stay
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #79183

Would it be possible to do a video recording sort of thing with them where a disk could be popped out of them, inserted into a console (maybe the detective's camera console?) and it'd play the last five or ten minutes of whatever was recorded before the disk was removed?