Dynamic Staff Of Change

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Dynamic Staff Of Change

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656415

The Problem: Wizard currently clashes with dynamic. It's a juggernaut of a threat, and the items they leave around can drastically alter a round. The most round altering being the Staff Of Change. Transforming people into humanoids to other simple mobs, to very dangerous simple mobs like a headslug, statue or an ash drake! Thus the current solution has wizard items become less effective when not in use by the wizard.

Why I would like a new solution: Tapering off powerful artifacts doesn't really feel dynamic. It's like the antag has died, so lets get rid of all his stuff and leave no effect on the round. Not in dynamic I say! Let antags clash and even have great effects on the round and each other.

My Solution: The Staff Of Change becomes a tiered system. With what you can polymorph others into depending on your tier on that system.

Tier 1: All Non-Antags and Ignored Minor Antags get this when they use the staff of change. They can only polymorph people into other humanoids, Regular Cyborgs, or weak simple mobs like corgis, rats, station pets, that stuff.

Tier 2: Traitors get this tier. When they use the staff of change, they will turn people into simple syndicate cronie simplemobs with very minimal gear and weapons. Death to nanotransen!

Tier 3: Heretics and Cultists will be on this tier. Due to their heresy influencing the staff of change, they can convert people into cult constructs and heretic thralls. Be sure you don't accidentally make your enemy stronger, or you vanish before they decide to target you!

Tier 4: Changelings and Abductors (How did they get the staff of change?) will be on this tier. They can polymorph people into things that come out of those hell portals, so Mi-Gos, Netherworld Creatures, Cosmic Horrors.

Tier 5: Nukies get this tier. They can turn people into stronger Syndicate Simple Mobs like the elite nukie simple-mobs, or even turn them into syndicate borgs. If nukies and wizards are in the same round, whoever wins that fight will make it much worse off for the station because of it. It is impending doom for a reason. Good Luck.

Tier 6: Wizards get this tier. Their staff of change functionality will stay exactly the same. Might turn someone into something weak, or something uber strong like an xeno, ash drake, etc.

I hope such a change will open up the sandbox of options. Maybe even have the station weighing the risk of just destroying the artifact instead of letting an antag get their hands on it. But...if they can wrestle it out of the antags hands, they should be able to restore peace back to the station.
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Dynamic Staff Of Change

Post by san7890 » #656447

i kinda like the idea of a wizard's existence just absolutely cratering the round but there is something that i'm fond of when it comes to "people can only cast spells according to their own knowledge" that you touch upon with the "tiers" based on the person's job/antagonist datums.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Dynamic Staff Of Change

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656482

san7890 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:14 pm i kinda like the idea of a wizard's existence just absolutely cratering the round but there is something that i'm fond of when it comes to "people can only cast spells according to their own knowledge" that you touch upon with the "tiers" based on the person's job/antagonist datums.
If san likes it I like it too :mrgreen:
► Show Spoiler