Remove roundstart asssitant

A place to record your ideas for the game.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Remove roundstart asssitant

Post by callanrockslol » #79367

Just remove it outright, make it so you can't just set it to yes at all, see what happens, could be gud.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Remove roundstart asssitant

Post by Incomptinence » #79372

Do we even have enough job slots to house a pop cap worth of players?

Do you think someone who gets a role they hate going brain dead or just basically acting like an assistant anyway is preferable?
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #79377

Make assistant open up when everything else is full then
Incomptinence wrote:Do you think someone who gets a role they hate going brain dead or just basically acting like an assistant anyway is preferable?
We do have a rather large amount of preferences and the HoP is usually available for job changes.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #79383

If you're going to cut down the grey shirt antics then you're shit out of luck. The grey shirt isn't some uniform you wear or a shitty ID with no access. The grey shirt is in your heart. It's that voice that tells you to slip the captain, take all his shit, and leave him buck naked in the halls. The voice that tells you to wet every single time in front of the brig, and the voice that tells you to scream that shitcurity is beating you to death for no reason
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79393

Jacough wrote:If you're going to cut down the grey shirt antics then you're shit out of luck. The grey shirt isn't some uniform you wear or a shitty ID with no access. The grey shirt is in your heart. It's that voice that tells you to slip the captain, take all his shit, and leave him buck naked in the halls. The voice that tells you to wet every single time in front of the brig, and the voice that tells you to scream that shitcurity is beating you to death for no reason
And then get banned.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #79400

MisterPerson wrote:
Jacough wrote:If you're going to cut down the grey shirt antics then you're shit out of luck. The grey shirt isn't some uniform you wear or a shitty ID with no access. The grey shirt is in your heart. It's that voice that tells you to slip the captain, take all his shit, and leave him buck naked in the halls. The voice that tells you to wet every single time in front of the brig, and the voice that tells you to scream that shitcurity is beating you to death for no reason
And then get banned.
And then they look down at you and whisper...

its an IC issue nerd

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #79401

Incomptinence wrote:Do we even have enough job slots to house a pop cap worth of players?
Roundstart provides 51 slots provided everyone can be placed with one of their preferences (that is unlikely though)
callanrockslol wrote:Make assistant open up when everything else is full then
This already happens

Honestly the asscap is at something obscenely low right now (5?), you can always get shunted to assistant at roundstart, but at least on sybil if you didn't get in during that first wave you're not getting into assistantry until everything else files.

The job system needs a shunt job to function properly, without it things get STUPID.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!โ„ข
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #79415

You could always make people who choose to be assistants round start start off with clumsiness and maximum brain damage.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #79420

Remove callan
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79421

Jacough wrote:You could always make people who choose to be assistants round start start off with clumsiness and maximum brain damage.
I think we'd be better served by simply uncapping the max number of clowns.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #79514

I'm pretty sure that assistant cap scales with sec officer pop now.
So yeah, you can't GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE (who even disabled rainbow jumpsuits?!) unless security has a bunch of bored officers waiting around for you to start shit
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #80281

The whole point of assistant was to give a job for newcomers so they could learn the ropes of the game. SS13 doesn't need to get even more obtuse to newcomers, this role is absolutely necessary for people who have never played the game not to get thrown into jobs like geneticist, or engineer.

Honestly assistant should always be available to play. If someone wants to just hang out in the bar all shift, they shouldn't be forced to take a scientist slot or a roboticist slot when someone else would want to do those jobs.

A barebones job is sort of necessary. Unless the admin team plans on making it to ignore doing your job (which is fucking stupid), there's no reason for this.

If anything, this game needs more jobs added, not fewer. In all my time playing, I've yet to see a single role added to the game.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #80284

Poorman wrote:The whole point of assistant was to give a job for newcomers so they could learn the ropes of the game. SS13 doesn't need to get even more obtuse to newcomers, this role is absolutely necessary for people who have never played the game not to get thrown into jobs like geneticist, or engineer.

Honestly assistant should always be available to play. If someone wants to just hang out in the bar all shift, they shouldn't be forced to take a scientist slot or a roboticist slot when someone else would want to do those jobs.

A barebones job is sort of necessary. Unless the admin team plans on making it to ignore doing your job (which is fucking stupid), there's no reason for this.

If anything, this game needs more jobs added, not fewer. In all my time playing, I've yet to see a single role added to the game.
There's a few problems with all of that, though. First of all, /tg/station isn't listed on the Byond hub by choice. The first result for a Google search is the Byond hub, and /tg/station is nowhere in the first page. The amount of totally new players probably isn't that high. Second of all, there really isn't anything wrong with people playing as assistant when they don't want to contribute to the round. The problems come when either said assistants think they actually deserve something when they've done fuck all at best, or when those people doing nothing make up a significant enough portion of the station crew that the game starts to suffer all around just because of all the people doing nothing to help anyone. And third of all, I'm pretty sure we're starting to run into issues with there just being too many people crammed into too small of a map, and unfortunately, there's far too many people who have their boner shoved so far into Box that they don't even entertain the idea of a new map or see any of the flaws with Box.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #80307

I'd like to see less jobs with more stuff to do actually. However removing assistant isn't good for anything, if someone doesn't want any obligations on stuff to do just let them be an assistant. Let security deal with them if they cross the line so their shift also doesn't become boring.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #80337

Assistant is also critical for new players- they need a job where nothing bad happens if they are totally incompetent.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #80364

We've had roundstart assistant for ages and it's never been that big of a deal, plus it gives new players something to do. There are a few issues with it but there is not nearly enough reasoning for it to be outright removed. Now that there's a cap on roundstart assistants, there's actually even less reason for it to be removed.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #80383

Anyone with half a brain picks signing up as station engineer for free gloves and tools, then proceeds to act like an assistant.
I play Boris Pepper.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #80388

Assistants were never the problem here, the fucking players were.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #80483

I feel like the only one who skipped the "Observe and play Assistant" phase and jumped right into Roboticist.

It's a great job for beginners. Though I was tasked with building a Cyborg my first round and just as I got the brain out, a Singularity began to eat the lab while the brain screamed mean words at me for not being fast.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #80517

I thought Bartender and Janitor were better jobs for beginners.

Although as Janitor you are likely to be lynched for slipping.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #80519

Lovecraft wrote:I feel like the only one who skipped the "Observe and play Assistant" phase and jumped right into Roboticist.

It's a great job for beginners. Though I was tasked with building a Cyborg my first round and just as I got the brain out, a Singularity began to eat the lab while the brain screamed mean words at me for not being fast.
I played assistant once, and then I was armbladed by a ling in my maintenance nest. That's the only time I've ever been an assistant.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #80609

Sometimes I want to play as a job with quite a small number of slots, and if I can't get that then I'd rather not be anything else.

"If job unavailable, be assistant" lets me do that. AI is quite hard to get sometimes, and I should be allowed to enter for only that if that's all I feel like playing.

This is also true if you just want to play a cyborg that round. Most of the time you won't get to start as one, so if you're a normal job you'll be taking away resources from other players. Much better to be an assistant and go to the roboticist as the first thing you do.

I agree that a "if job unavailable, go back to lobby screen" option would be preferable but in the meantime having assistant as an option is vastly preferable to the alternative of getting a random job I don't enjoy, care about, or know how to do.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #80621

Seriously, if you want to get borged/ai'd, just tell the HOP to reopen your slot and give him your ID before heading off to robotics.

Nobody loses anything, especially if you drop your kit in your workplace before fucking off.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•