Lings lose all their stings, now have these new abilities.

A place to record your ideas for the game.

What do you think?

Ling is fine as it is.
47%
Add these post-haste.
33%
Remove changeling outright
19%

Total votes: 36

Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Lings lose all their stings, now have these new abilities.

Post by Man_Shroom » #79655

Lings lose stings. They're out. Gone KEBAB REMOVED.

In place of the stings, they now have THESE!
An ability that allows them to do TOXIN damage when they punch people. Essentially they will do the normal punch damage, but in toxin instead of brute, along with increased knockdown chance. Exact numbers can be adjusted for balance later.

An ability that allows them to quickchoke, or at least choke faster than the normal human can. Would probably say they have powerful claws or something on examination. How fast can be adjusted later.

A greater form power that gives them a lot of health, like a fucking ton, the ability to resist chemical/toxin damage, regeneration, and some other combat powers, BUT will announce to the ENTIRE WORLD that they have gone into this form, and you take double fire damage, like a xeno. Basically, go loud and kill dudes as a last resort.

Also, minor tweaks to existing powers. You can now name yourself what you want in lesser form, maybe buff up last resort a bit.
Last edited by Man_Shroom on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Lings lose all their stings, now have these new abilitie

Post by PKPenguin321 » #79686

no point in removing stings, just make these new abilities
also those are all insanely good, there is literally no reason to not just get all three of those and go loud instantly

only real good ideas in this are the minor tweaks bit and the quickchoke ability and even that might be a little too powerful
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #79688

1. Just because it goes loud doesn't mean it will succeed. Traitors go loud all the time, and these abilities are not as strong as some traitor items. None of them are even ranged abilities.

2. I think it's better for something to be added when it is powerful, then nerfed into balance, as opposed to added weak and buffed to balance. These can be modified to balance, this thread is pretty much just to write down my admittedly shitty ideas and establish a groundwork that others can work on.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #79700

well okay
let's do this then
for the superpower one that tells everyone you're a ling, the downside's not very good, since if you have an armblade and someone sees it and shouts on the radio everyone will know you're a ling anyways. so what if the downside for more health was different
"Sustainable damage before crit is now 150 instead of 100 and you are more resistant to toxins, but you immediately die if you go below 155." you only have 5 HP ticks of crit in exchange for being able to remain conscious under 100 health

instead of punching faster which would probably be exploited with clickscripts or whatever just have an ability that makes punches do 2x damage + higher weaken chance or something

quickchoking as a ling ability sounds muy bien but needs some kind of downside like it makes it obvious you're a ling or something

also again no point in removing stings they're bueno

how's that
Spoiler:
Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #79704

Ah shit I meant to add to the OP that greater form takes double fire damage, like xenos. Burn that horrible monstrosity of flesh and screaming organs! Those ideas sound pretty good though, changing the OP.

Stings have to go, in my apparently retarded opinion, because:

1. They have been with ling throughout all of it's phases and variations, and it has always been shit. Coincidence? Probably, but why not try a ling that has no stings, just to give it a shot and see if it works?

2. Ling abilities have always been balanced around the stings, we add or remove stuff from it on the basis of "How well will this work alongside a ling that has mute sting?" Removing the stings might be the step we need toward a major ling change and a better gamemode.

3. Ling stings vary WILDLY in power, from the completely OP mute sting to the downright useless LSD sting. The only sting that should remain is Transform sting.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #79879

Here's the thing.

Burn damage is so utterly fucking common and easy on the station it makes no sense whatsoever to make that their weakness

Seriously the armory is full of lasers and the captain has a recharging laser.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #79881

Hallucination sting is actually pretty good, those hallucinations are annoying as FUCK and cause a ton of panic/confusion
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #79884

Perhaps burn damage would be a bit overpowered, but I couldn't think of a better weakness. If anyone comes up with a better one I'll slap it into the OP.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #79934

Remove them, no need to let them suffer any more.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #80047

Phalanx300 wrote:Remove them, no need to let them suffer any more.
le "improve by remove" remove ling meme Xd

different kind of damage from punching sounds really interesting actually, like you can toggle from smacking people to burning to toxins (and oxygen but why)
would be an interesting counterplay to armor

also your point about stings is eh, lings aren't really balanced around stings except for DNA sting kinda and the only one with a real issue is mute sting and even that's not always used by lings

since lings use points for buying abilities now we could make more powerful abilities that cost more, i'd like one that lets you ventcrawl as a human for like 4 points or something ridiculous
Spoiler:
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #80340

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Phalanx300 wrote:Remove them, no need to let them suffer any more.
le "improve by remove" remove ling meme Xd

different kind of damage from punching sounds really interesting actually, like you can toggle from smacking people to burning to toxins (and oxygen but why)
would be an interesting counterplay to armor

also your point about stings is eh, lings aren't really balanced around stings except for DNA sting kinda and the only one with a real issue is mute sting and even that's not always used by lings

since lings use points for buying abilities now we could make more powerful abilities that cost more, i'd like one that lets you ventcrawl as a human for like 4 points or something ridiculous
I used to be on the remake side, and with Shadowlings coming and a reluctance to properly improve them they are better of removed. They would be awesome if more true to the movies (and more balanced as well :roll: ) but I don't see that happening sadly.