Have Kudzu grow through vents

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Have Kudzu grow through vents

Post by Bombadil » #79711

Makes sense right? I mean monkeys can fit in them and xenomorphs.

Weld vents to stop infestation. Randomly appears out of vents

Also do welded vents still release oxygen or do they just stop?

It would make kudzu a bigger threat than isolated to just one area. If it doesn't get caught the infestation could spread all over
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Have Kudzu grow through vents

Post by onleavedontatme » #79718

Bombadil wrote:Makes sense right? I mean monkeys can fit in them and xenomorphs.

It would make kudzu a bigger threat than isolated to just one area. If it doesn't get caught the infestation could spread all over
Sounds cool but glowshrooms going through vents was absolutely horrific
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79719

Kor wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Makes sense right? I mean monkeys can fit in them and xenomorphs.

Sounds cool but glowshrooms going through vents was absolutely horrific
Perhaps put a limit on how often it can go through vents? Like maybe every 5 minutes?

Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #79720

Kudzu can already be an unstoppable round wrecker if you don't catch it...

I'd say this is a solid no. Welding vents isn't really an option (there's just so MANY of them after all) so you'd just get an infested ship every time Kudzu spawned and wasn't weed whacked in the first few minutes.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #79721

Unless someone created a entirely separate z-level that acts as the ventilation system, then I would have to say this is not a good idea. Simply because that the moment some Vines hit a vent then suddenly the entire station would get overrun with them.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79731

Steelpoint wrote:Unless someone created a entirely separate z-level that acts as the ventilation system, then I would have to say this is not a good idea. Simply because that the moment some Vines hit a vent then suddenly the entire station would get overrun with them.
Have it just choose a random vent to grow from somewhere on the other side of the station every 5 minutes.

Also... vent z-level would be cool.

Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #79733

I think Kudzu being able to grow through unwelded airlocks could work.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #79735

The only real problem with vent z-level is that lings/xenos could camp up (down?) there in near absolute safety.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #79736

Incoming wrote:The only real problem with vent z-level is that lings/xenos could camp up (down?) there in near absolute safety.
I think there was a server with maint below on a separate Z level.

Sec raids into a wretched hive of scum and villainy filled with changelings and assistant dens would be pretty great.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #79737

Perhaps add the capability for someone in atom/bridge to "flush" out the vent system once every couple of minutes. It would discourage people from hiding in the vents for too long.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #79738

Kudzu is already space tumor, especially with the recent potency based buff. Shit can cover half the station easily, and the more widespread it gets, the more impossible it gets to contain.

Please no vent spreading, or airlock spreading, it can already eat walls, or GHOST THROUGH them, or grow into space, and come back in through a window.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #79748

Yeah because the changes to the weld attack (flash effect taking up the screen and preventing clicking) didn't make kudzu and vines impossible enough to fight already.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #79751

welders were shit against vines.

Hatchets and wirecutters and scythes,. man.

x3 damage to vines
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #79771

Incoming wrote:The only real problem with vent z-level is that lings/xenos could camp up (down?) there in near absolute safety.
This sounds amazing, we need this!
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79818

If it was its own z-level we could have people crawl into the vents.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #79819

Its a neat idea I agree, but its would be so annoying and akward to work in and get working that we would be far better off with just using a underground maintenance z-level.

In fact, it would be far more feasible to create a maintenance z-level underneath the station than it would be for a ventilation z-level.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79823

Steelpoint wrote:Its a neat idea I agree, but its would be so annoying and akward to work in and get working that we would be far better off with just using a underground maintenance z-level.

In fact, it would be far more feasible to create a maintenance z-level underneath the station than it would be for a ventilation z-level.
I know doing explosions through a z-level is utter hell. Perhaps instead of blowing through z-levels it'll make a hold into the maint level people could fall into... or if there is not maint underneath then open to space.

Also running atmos through z-levels is a horrid idea as well. Just let it have its own oxygen distro loop.

Man it sounds fun but implementing atmos through z-levels and shit is just such a hassle for all involved

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #79824

If we ever did a maint z-level it would most likely have its own unique power and atmo supply, simply to cut down on as much bull as possible.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79825

Steelpoint wrote:If we ever did a maint z-level it would most likely have its own unique power and atmo supply, simply to cut down on as much bull as possible.
The question is how do you make the maint purposeful other than being a place antags go to hide bodies and shit? Also a place xenos would go to as well. I mean it's dark secluded. I assume xenos could use any vent to get into the maint z-level

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #79826

RemieRichards made a Procedural Map Generator, it might be possible to set it up to randomly create a maintenance z-level of sorts. It would probley have the same consistent layout but it would appear different and ruined.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7751
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #79827

Bombadil wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Its a neat idea I agree, but its would be so annoying and akward to work in and get working that we would be far better off with just using a underground maintenance z-level.

I know doing explosions through a z-level is utter hell. Perhaps instead of blowing through z-levels it'll make a hold into the maint level people could fall into... or if there is not maint underneath then open to space.

Also running atmos through z-levels is a horrid idea as well. Just let it have its own oxygen distro loop.

Man it sounds fun but implementing atmos through z-levels and shit is just such a hassle for all involved
Explosions on Z-levels is actually pretty simple.
Check the turf beneath/above the epicentre exists (if(locate(X,Y,Z+1)), call explode() on that new turf with about 2/3 of the strength of the initial blast (so it's a sort of donut/sphere explosion, since 3D)

Atmos is more annoying yeah, perhaps just allow it to share (when the gases in the turfs equalise, Atmo code calls it sharing) with the turf above/below it if there are vents or UP/DOWN pipes.

I actually said one of my goals this year (after the other stuff I'm doing) is to make a nice framework for 3D Interactions in SS13 (sort of like that weird old tri-dimension WIP stuff)
Stuff like setting space tiles with a non space tile beneath them show up as 0 alpha with an underlay of the turf below so you can *see* 3D
私は完璧
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #79839

Bombadil wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:If we ever did a maint z-level it would most likely have its own unique power and atmo supply, simply to cut down on as much bull as possible.
The question is how do you make the maint purposeful other than being a place antags go to hide bodies and shit? Also a place xenos would go to as well. I mean it's dark secluded. I assume xenos could use any vent to get into the maint z-level
Could keep all the wires and APCs down there like we do now. Just make it a parallel Z level instead of wrapped around the station.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #79864

Kor wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Could keep all the wires and APCs down there like we do now. Just make it a parallel Z level instead of wrapped around the station.
I was thinking also having like a main fusebox room