Heretic as a Solo Conversion Antag?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
enginseer-42
Byond Username: Enginseer-42

Heretic as a Solo Conversion Antag?

Post by enginseer-42 » #687195

Currently the two main conversion Antags, Cult and Rev, are also team antags. And the thought occurred to me of how it would look to have a conversion antag that keeps it's solo antag nature, and by process of doing it's thing, creates other solo antagonists that are actually rivals.

Cue my thoughts turning to heretic. Currently, heretics sacrifice people, they go to the Mansus room and play dodgeball for a bit with evil hands, if they succeed they come back with a crippling phobia of heresy. What if instead, they came back as heretics? Full antag heretics. If they succeed in the dodgeball minigame they come back 'sane', healed, and with some starter research points. If they fail, they just die as normal and their body gets dumped in a random spot on the station with no heresy.

The catch is, that as more of the crew become heretics, collect influences, and ascend, the veil gets weaker and weaker until eventually it breaks, and the entire station slips beyond the veil and into the mansus, never to be heard from again, which would basically be a nuke style game over putting an absolute limit on the number of heresy going on, I'm not sure what percentage of the crew would have to be sacrificed (Or really, with this maybe call it offered?) to cause a game over, but it would have to be a lot. With Ascension being the 'big chunk' of the heresy limit with maybe 2-3 Ascended heretics being all the station can take at one time. Add in the ability for heretics to sacrifice each other to steal points, and an 'escape alive' objective and you get a recipe for heretics fighting to stop each other, or sacrifice each other, as well as their targets among the normal crew even as them sacrificing the crew creates yet more heretics to create more heretics to etc... until the station implodes from all the dark magic, unless they can cull the swarms of them.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Re: Heretic as a Solo Conversion Antag?

Post by vect0r » #687199

Nah. It's already a conversion antag if you go flesh. Heretic has options for solo or team.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
enginseer-42
Byond Username: Enginseer-42

Post by enginseer-42 » #687206

True but flesh heretics creations are on the flesh heretics team. TBH while I like the idea of heretics like this, I'm more interested in the general concept of a Solo Conversion Antag. Where the Antag wants to do X to advance/greentext. But in the process of doing so they create new antags like themselves, but who are NOT team antags.

They all want the same things in a more or less mutually exclusive way and while they might cooperate like traitors sometimes cooperate, they are just as likely to come into conflict with each other. The other thought I had aside from Heretic was something like Vampire. Vampire wants blood, bites people, bitten people become vampires when they die, new vampires bite people, etc. But the more people who are vampires the less blood is available for the original plus the more chances for someone to get caught and the crew to be on guard.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #687491

I’m not too big on this idea, it would essentially turn heretic into a free antagonist generator. Not the best idea.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #687748

heretics are disruptive enough, giving people "free" antag seems really hectic and unenjoyable.

We need to remind ourselves that with dynamic, disruptive antags negatively impact the other antags, and all these antag combinations have to be contested by the crew.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current