Try to force a captain shift-start

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Try to force a captain shift-start

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #696974

My suggestion is simple, if we are already going to force an acting captain, we may as well just do our best to get a proper captain into the position first. If we haven't gotten a captain yet, and if there is ANYONE who has put in their preferences for captain that doesn't have an antagonist role, we make them captain. Captain less shifts suck, and acting captains aren't as good as real ones.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Re: Try to force a captain shift-start

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #696975

Do we not already do this?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #696976

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:24 pm Do we not already do this?
No
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #696988

As far as I can tell from looking at the code currently it tries to ensure that there is always at least one head of any type, and an AI, but with no preference towards Captain.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #696991

Bad idea in my opinion.

Firstly, you're forcing responsibility onto people that might not want to deal with Captain stuff. If someone signed up as a Head role? Doesn't matter. But the way you wrote this implies you want this to happen even if no one signs up for any command positions whatsoever. So, let's say that I just want to bartend, or make funny chemistry factories, and then I get forced into Captain. If I turn around and say "Fuck this, I'm going to go bartend the whole shift anyway." because I signed up to be a Bartender and ignore the Captain duties that were forced on to me, will I get punished administratively?

Secondly, you're force opting people out of getting midround traitor. Acting Cappy can get midround traitor, regular Cappy cannot, and people will be upset if this happens to them a bunch because they tend to play on lowpop. Like, at least when this happens to you as Security you opted in to it.

And third.... you didn't actually explain why you think acting cap is worse than regular cap, you kind of just stated it as if we're supposed to accept the statement as a fact.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #696995

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:08 pm My suggestion is simple, if we are already going to force an acting captain, we may as well just do our best to get a proper captain into the position first. If we haven't gotten a captain yet, and if there is ANYONE who has put in their preferences for captain that doesn't have an antagonist role, we make them captain. Captain less shifts suck, and acting captains aren't as good as real ones.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 pm Bad idea in my opinion.

Firstly, you're forcing responsibility onto people that might not want to deal with Captain stuff. If someone signed up as a Head role? Doesn't matter. But the way you wrote this implies you want this to happen even if no one signs up for any command positions whatsoever. Blah blah blah (incorrect because it's only for people who opted in)

Secondly, you're force opting people out of getting midround traitor. Blah blah blah (incorrect because it's only for people who opted in)

And third.... you didn't actually explain why you think acting cap is worse than regular cap, you kind of just stated it as if we're supposed to accept the statement as a fact.
Your whole post is based on not reading the OP
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #696997

let's do this for station engineer too
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #697007

Selecting people to roll for captain could be the first thing to happen during job selection. If there are only people that have captain on low/medium, one of them will roll captain regardless if their high priority job is available or not.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #697035

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:34 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:08 pm My suggestion is simple, if we are already going to force an acting captain, we may as well just do our best to get a proper captain into the position first. If we haven't gotten a captain yet, and if there is ANYONE who has put in their preferences for captain that doesn't have an antagonist role, we make them captain. Captain less shifts suck, and acting captains aren't as good as real ones.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 pm Bad idea in my opinion.

Firstly, you're forcing responsibility onto people that might not want to deal with Captain stuff. If someone signed up as a Head role? Doesn't matter. But the way you wrote this implies you want this to happen even if no one signs up for any command positions whatsoever. Blah blah blah (incorrect because it's only for people who opted in)

Secondly, you're force opting people out of getting midround traitor. Blah blah blah (incorrect because it's only for people who opted in)

Your whole post is based on not reading the OP
Oh my bad. I did read it but I misread it.

Fair enough then!

Still no explanation why they think regular cappy is better than acting
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #697039

Regular cappy can't be an antagonist.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #697044

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:14 am Still no explanation why they think regular cappy is better than acting
Acting caps are split between two different duties which leaves them suffering at both. Also when a new cap shows up it gets awkward between the two.

The player who rolled acting captain did not choose to be acting captain, and do not require to have captain selected as a preference. They are being forced into a captainship as another role.

Acting caps being antagonists are bad for the following reasons:
The round is often trivial for the acting captain given they get all the best gear in the game, all access, and a position of respect and authority.
Acting captains are usually only selected on low pop, which allows them to easily dominate the round and do whatever the hell they want.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #697048

Well, I'll be honest, I think the change will result in a statistically insignificant increase in captain shifts. People will just turn their Captain preference off, same as how everyone turns their AI preference completely off unless they want AI every shift on lowpop.

So like, go ahead and do it, but it won't actually do anything.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #697052

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 am Well, I'll be honest, I think the change will result in a statistically insignificant increase in captain shifts. People will just turn their Captain preference off, same as how everyone turns their AI preference completely off unless they want AI every shift on lowpop.
I'll be honest I think this is probably correct.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #697446

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:38 pm
As far as I can tell from looking at the code currently it tries to ensure that there is always at least one head of any type, and an AI, but with no preference towards Captain.
Why does the code do that?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #697474

Do what?
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #697575

I personally don't think forcing a Captain is necessary. Some of the funniests shifts I've had are when mimes/clowns or other randoms get promoted to acting Captain. Also the sheer chaos that can erupt with not having a head of staff can make for interesting rounds and creates fun dynamics.
Forcing a Captain every round would completely remove such things.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #698656

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pmDo what?
Force a head of staff
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #698671

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:41 am
Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pmDo what?
Force a head of staff
Presumably so there's at least one person who can get on the bridge, pick up the spare, grab the disk, call the shuttle, and get beheaded by revs.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #698746

admins need to work on making captain role more respected before people will chose it by choice.
RandumbPhantomb
Byond Username: Randumb Phantomb

Post by RandumbPhantomb » #708741

make the would-be acting captain, the captain, regardless of antag status or not, that would be hilarious