Cytogenetics (Cytology + Genetics)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Cytogenetics (Cytology + Genetics)

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #698617

I'm here to propose a solution for both Cytology and Genetic's problems: Cytogenetics.

Full idea breakdown: https://hackmd.io/@kNRZ9uxhShS3s2N9scOXxQ/Skb3SUxn3

Basically, the idea is that Cytology's problems (lack of content, lack of space in most maps) and Genetic's strenght (tons of content, good space on most maps) solve eachother out while Genetic's problems (too easy and too isolated from the rest of the round) can be solved by Cytology's strenghts (has a good deal of difficulty and requires interacting with the rest of the round).

The implementation of this is pretty straightforward: Essentially you can grow mutations the same way you can grow mobs out of Cytology. There are some additional mechanics for creating more of an already created mutation but that's really the core of the idea.

Thoughts?
I remade the beach away mission
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: Cytogenetics (Cytology + Genetics)

Post by Jacquerel » #698680

Isn't this basically what the dna infuser already does?
It just needs some outcomes linked to mobs you get via cytology.
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #698699

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:50 am Isn't this basically what the dna infuser already does?
It just needs some outcomes linked to mobs you get via cytology.
The Genetics minigame is just typing on a console in your room until you get the content
The Cytology minigame involves interacting with the round, cooperating with other players, etc

The idea here is to take the content from Genetics and rather than keep it on Genetics' minigame we instead put them on the much better Cytology minigame. The idea is that we have a good idea but starved forrewards feature (Cytology) and a bad idea rich with rewards (current Genetics) and so we can cut down on the bad gameplay of Genetics by effectively replacing it with Cytology
I remade the beach away mission
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #698704

The DNA infuser, not the gene console.
Genetics already has a machine which you put mobs into to get genetics rewards.
It seems odd to build a new system rather than expand on the one which is already there for this.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #698747

also if you move the cytology machine to genetics i'm not sure what you've done, other than move a science dept machine around.