make sentient simple mobs more identifiable

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

make sentient simple mobs more identifiable

Post by TypicalRig » #703569

Easiest way would be to make it an overlay/something similar to a hud icon. An examine message would work too but players would still act like they panicked and attacked before examining to justify a kill.

I only bring this up because often players will pretend that they don't know a sentient mob is sentient even ignoring its irregular movement just so they can get a free kill in. Most simple mobs are not only significantly flimsier, but also harder to revive. (Strange reagent/the miner sentience item isn't that hard to get, but people just blatantly forget about it and a lot of medics don't think to use them) So they often get round removed for no real reason just because a player can play dumb.

Only other alternatives I can think of is instead of making them easier to identify visually is to make the more harmless mobs (think pets, etc) slightly more tankier, faster, or given a really slow passive heal, but that would require more work than just slapping a visual identifer on them.

The only downside of this I think is that a sentient mob wouldn't be able to hide amongst non-sentient ones as easily, but this doesn't really come up enough to where it'd be that big of a game changer vs not being killed on sight for existing.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Re: make sentient simple mobs more identifiable

Post by TheBibleMelts » #703921

TypicalRig wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:25 pm The only downside of this I think is that a sentient mob wouldn't be able to hide amongst non-sentient ones as easily, but this doesn't really come up enough to where it'd be that big of a game changer vs not being killed on sight for existing.
bro do you know how often i delight in possessing or offering up random-ass simple mobs to suddenly say some cryptic shit and then seemingly become nonsapient again, don't take this away from me
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #703966

Would be funny if we made non-megafauna organic mobs revivable via defib.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #703982

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:23 am Would be funny if we made non-megafauna organic mobs revivable via defib.
unironically not sure if there's any strong reason this shouldn't be fine