Replace chemical implants with shock/stun implants

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Replace chemical implants with shock/stun implants

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #708003

Nobody uses chemical implants. They're way too easily countered because if you actually go through the effort of chemical implanting an antagonist, the very next thing they're going to do, 100% of the time, is to go to medical and pocket a bottle of multiver, and chug it if they ever actually use the implant.

We should replace them with an implant that shocks and floors people and saps all their stamina. Yeah maybe you could still counter that with ephedrine or something, but that would at LEAST require you to do some actual chemistry or something, rather than just pop in and out of medbay and pocket a bottle of multiver in 3 seconds.
Prototypemeat
Byond Username: Prototypemeat

Re: Replace chemical implants with shock/stun implants

Post by Prototypemeat » #708021

I dont think replacing them would do any good cause half the time aswell people can just get implants removed inside of medical no questions asked. Though a Shock/Stun implant would be a great addition to security's implant list, id just think it would be better to keep chemical implants as is.
Pm me for tips on how to make a spicy matter
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #708038

Prototypemeat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:26 am I dont think replacing them would do any good cause half the time aswell people can just get implants removed inside of medical no questions asked. Though a Shock/Stun implant would be a great addition to security's implant list, id just think it would be better to keep chemical implants as is.
The bit about them just being surgically removed is a skill issue on the part of security. It takes WAY longer to do that than to pop in to medbay and pocket some multiver. You should be monitoring implanted criminals and go "hmmm I wonder why the criminal engineer I implanted has spent the last 8 consecutive minutes in medbay?" and check in on them.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #708046

Thing is, chem implants aren't supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to counter or serve as a GUARANTEE or anything. They're just one measure among many measures you can take for paroled criminals.

The real issue with chem implants is the fact that they aren't pre-filled. I am willing to bet at least half of all chem implants given are empty when given, because people just don't realize you have to fill them first. They should come prefilled IMO.
Spoiler:
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #708048

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 am Thing is, chem implants aren't supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to counter or serve as a GUARANTEE or anything. They're just one measure among many measures you can take for paroled criminals.

The real issue with chem implants is the fact that they aren't pre-filled. I am willing to bet at least half of all chem implants given are empty when given, because people just don't realize you have to fill them first. They should come prefilled IMO.
I dont want something impossible to counter, just something harder than "Waltz into medbay and pocket a bottle of multiver, in and out in 3-5 seconds.".
Prototypemeat
Byond Username: Prototypemeat

Post by Prototypemeat » #708088

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:41 am The bit about them just being surgically removed is a skill issue on the part of security. It takes WAY longer to do that than to pop in to medbay and pocket some multiver. You should be monitoring implanted criminals and go "hmmm I wonder why the criminal engineer I implanted has spent the last 8 consecutive minutes in medbay?" and check in on them.
Fair enough but how would a secoff know who is in medbay and how long, I could see security officers assigned to medical being in there, but implant removal usally takes like 2 minutes anyways and the average criminal would have suit sensors offline, thwarting any attempt to get tracked, tracking implants are a good way but they are also easily removed under the same surgury, and most of the time security wouldnt be watching a criminal like a hawk unless they did something really bad. I just don't see a good reason for replacing them with Shock/stun implants.
Pm me for tips on how to make a spicy matter
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #708092

Prototypemeat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:59 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:41 am The bit about them just being surgically removed is a skill issue on the part of security. It takes WAY longer to do that than to pop in to medbay and pocket some multiver. You should be monitoring implanted criminals and go "hmmm I wonder why the criminal engineer I implanted has spent the last 8 consecutive minutes in medbay?" and check in on them.
Fair enough but how would a secoff know who is in medbay and how long, I could see security officers assigned to medical being in there, but implant removal usally takes like 2 minutes anyways and the average criminal would have suit sensors offline, thwarting any attempt to get tracked, tracking implants are a good way but they are also easily removed under the same surgury, and most of the time security wouldnt be watching a criminal like a hawk unless they did something really bad. I just don't see a good reason for replacing them with Shock/stun implants.
This thread assumes we're using implants, so, you would check their tracking implant.

The reason to swap from chem to shock implant is because chem implants are too easily countered by multiver, which is very easy to obtain at 0 effort.