Idea for a new Chaplain sect: Death God

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Xkallubar
Byond Username: CrazyPro

Idea for a new Chaplain sect: Death God

Post by Xkallubar » #711150

The way this sect would work is you sacrifice severed limbs for favor. (Need feedback on this)

By selecting this sect, the chaplain gets the morbid quirk, and their bible will transfer the chaplain's own HP to the person they smacked, but if they do it in combat mode, the effect is reversed and the chaplain steals hp from them.

Here are my ideas for the rites:

Twist Metal: turns 50 iron into a Metal Skeleton

Twist Gizmos: turns a multitool into a Living-Dead Remote

Bless Zombie: for a ton of favor, it can turn a restrained zombie on the altar into a High Functioning Zombie.

You put severed limbs on the Metal Skeleton, you can mix and match whatever species' limbs you'd like. You can use a wrench to take off any specific limb from the skeleton. You then need to add a brain, and organs.

Once your contraption has a chest, legs, arms, a head, a brain, and all vital organs, it will be detectable by the living dead remote, and can be activated. If it has a brain with a soul, the player who's brain you used will be in control of the contraption. If you use a soulless brain, it will look for ghost volunteers.

Once activated, all limbs will turn grey or dark green. You can only have one Frankenstein active at a time. All limbs and organs used are purely cosmetic and make no mechanical difference.

The Frankenstein (which is a simplemob) doesn't need to eat or breathe, even though they have organs, (don't question it) they are immune to space, they are highly flammable and will die easily to fire, they are magic immune, they cannot wear anything but they do have hands, but their hands are meaty and big, and cannot use melee weapons, and they can only walk. Frankenstein should have 50 or 75 hp, and can be healed only with your bible. Your Frankenstein can speak Galactic Comnon, but with the zombie accent.

Once the Frankenstein dies, all of it's limbs and organs will turn into gibs, and you'll get your Metal Skeleton back. Though you can remotely deactivate Frankenstein with the Living-Dead Remote, which will keep all the limbs and organs.

So there's my idea, hopefully a coder codes it.
Last edited by Xkallubar on Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Idea for a new Chaplain sect: Death God

Post by NoxVS » #711430

I'm not a fan of being inflicted with permadeath. It is EXTREMELY easy to die quickly, and it'd feel pretty lame to die to something that happens in moments and now you can never be brought back.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #711436

NoxVS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:24 pm I'm not a fan of being inflicted with permadeath. It is EXTREMELY easy to die quickly, and it'd feel pretty lame to die to something that happens in moments and now you can never be brought back.
Then what do you think the downside for being a necromancer should be? I couldn't think of anything else. There has to be a fairly bad downside so that people don't pick this sect every time if a coder picks up my idea.
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #711506

What if, instead of permadeath, you will be cursed upon revival, given the frail quirk, and your body will look as if it was a husked corpse, and you can no longer run, and if you die a second time, being revived will give you the brain tumor and blood deficiency quirks, and dying after that is permanent?

Going to edit the post with this instead of permadeath
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #711543

I don't really want the station crew to have a magical necromancer
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #711594

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am I don't really want the station crew to have a magical necromancer
All you get is a spell that transfers your hp to others, and makes your bible do the opposite, while letting you make a few very weak minions that will die to a few punches, at the cost of heavy penalties for being revived from death, and eventually permanent death.,

Hauntium can occasionally be a huge pain to get.

The skeletons they can make are in limited quantity and significantly weaker than golems, and aren't going to be very easy to make.

If you really wanted strong minions you'd make golems.

Would you rather they not have that single hp transfer spell? Do they need even more downsides?
What would you change to better balance this if you think it would be so overpowered?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #711611

Xkallubar wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:52 pm
Jacquerel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am I don't really want the station crew to have a magical necromancer
All you get is a spell that transfers your hp to others, and makes your bible do the opposite, while letting you make a few very weak minions that will die to a few punches, at the cost of heavy penalties for being revived from death, and eventually permanent death.
So all you get is several magical spells, which is more than I would personally want. More than 0 magical necromancers is too many for me.
It's not about whether it's overpowered it's about the vibes of the crew having necromancers. Largely speaking I think that magic should not be the domain of the crew, especially at round start.
What the Chaplain has is already about as close to the line as I would like (they can cast a somewhat useful but reasonably easily explained away spell, and have some generally ineffective rituals), the proliferation of crew-sided magical skeletons is too far.

I don't really care about the bible stuff (that can even be the medium of the HP transfer, based on if you are in combat mode), it's the "having magically created minions at all" which is a red line I would not want crossed.
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #711669

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:56 pm
All you get is a spell that transfers your hp to others, and makes your bible do the opposite, while letting you make a few very weak minions that will die to a few punches, at the cost of heavy penalties for being revived from death, and eventually permanent death.
So all you get is several magical spells, which is more than I would personally want. More than 0 magical necromancers is too many for me.
It's not about whether it's overpowered it's about the vibes of the crew having necromancers. Largely speaking I think that magic should not be the domain of the crew, especially at round start.
What the Chaplain has is already about as close to the line as I would like (they can cast a somewhat useful but reasonably easily explained away spell, and have some generally ineffective rituals), the proliferation of crew-sided magical skeletons is too far.

I don't really care about the bible stuff (that can even be the medium of the HP transfer, based on if you are in combat mode), it's the "having magically created minions at all" which is a red line I would not want crossed.
I like your idea of the bible being capable of both stealing and transferring hp based on if combat mode is on or not. I will rethink what the rituals should be and edit the post.
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #711684

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:56 pm

I have done an almost full redesign of my sect idea. What do you think about it now?
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #712648

Bump
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #712960

As Sect Andy™ I agree with this (even if I can be a do as I say not as I do kind of guy around this), Usually you want to keep blatant magic on the very down low. Things like crusader sect vows can be more plausible as a person's unwillingness to break them over magic god intervention. Chaplain has always had a pinch of supernatural so overall keep it kinda more like miracles and religious moments and less magic and spells... we have a lot of magic and spells.
I'm not against permadeath as one dynamic of a Sect but I figure that permadeath is either is a quirk or should be one, and if it is or will be then this would step on those toes. Unless we start doing quirk bans on picking a sect... which makes latejoin chaplains more complicated... that sounds like something you can figure out! If you do land on permadeath I would make the sect more around that dynamic than Necromancy. Maybe religion sect based around being very paranoid about dying and preparing against that? Just musing now but hopefully taken as inspiring and not just ideas guy
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #712965

Armhulen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:37 pm
As Sect Andy™ I agree with this (even if I can be a do as I say not as I do kind of guy around this), Usually you want to keep blatant magic on the very down low. Things like crusader sect vows can be more plausible as a person's unwillingness to break them over magic god intervention. Chaplain has always had a pinch of supernatural so overall keep it kinda more like miracles and religious moments and less magic and spells... we have a lot of magic and spells.
I'm not against permadeath as one dynamic of a Sect but I figure that permadeath is either is a quirk or should be one, and if it is or will be then this would step on those toes. Unless we start doing quirk bans on picking a sect... which makes latejoin chaplains more complicated... that sounds like something you can figure out! If you do land on permadeath I would make the sect more around that dynamic than Necromancy. Maybe religion sect based around being very paranoid about dying and preparing against that? Just musing now but hopefully taken as inspiring and not just ideas guy
Did not expect to see the one and only Sect Andy™ here. Those comments you replied to were from when my idea had a slight bit more magic pizzazz to it. As of right now it has some penalties for each death but not perma death, and is more about converting some crew to your side, letting them use bibles, which can steal or transfer hp, to help you get hauntium for favor till you can eventually get enough favor for your sect exclusive Crown of Death null rod. Feel free to read the main post if you haven't for more info on what I'm proposing.

By the way, as much as I'd love to, I can't code this, I'm not a BYOND Code Wizard™ and as of right now this is just my idea and nobody has shown interest in making this a thing yet.

Unrelated, but whatever happened to the plant based sect and dormant god sect you were working on, and when are you descending from the coder heavens to fix a handful of the boring sects?
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #713255

If you want to go away from the magic theme you could probably lean more into Frankenstein stuff. Electrical stuff, wicked looking metal contraptions, that sort of deal.

As for the actual mechanics, just listing them out rather than trying to deal with quote hell -

Hauntium for favor is doomed from the start. It's a fetch quest without any interaction with the crew that you will quickly get bored of and never use the sect again because you got tired of the foundation of it and don't want to bother doing it whenever you play chaplain.

Not really any reason for the appearance changes, everyone wants to flavor their religion their own way. If they want pale skin and purple eyes they can just choose that in customization. Same sort of deal with the "no doctors" thing later, if people want to take that direction it's their choice to enforce it.

The downside is still too much for how easy and unavoidable death can be. People will just not pick it rather than have to deal with it.

Induct acolyte doesn't really have a reason to exist. The only other sect to have a mechanic of bringing people into it is the Crusade, and here it doesn't really interact with anything else. Just gives them access to the toys you have.

You can put a photo in the autolathe for the hauntium, no need to use a ritual for it.

The whole crown of death thing feels too gimmicky? You perform a fetch quest, run off to your secret gamer cave hideout, and emerge with a monkey you can swap to (and inevitably use to mass suicide bomb the station with). There's not really a whole lot of interaction with others.

The bible and the general theme are both cool. We don't really have any sects that fill the niche of death and all that and I'd like to see one that does
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Xkallubar

Post by Xkallubar » #713314

NoxVS wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:10 am If you want to go away from the magic theme you could probably lean more into Frankenstein stuff. Electrical stuff, wicked looking metal contraptions, that sort of deal.

As for the actual mechanics, just listing them out rather than trying to deal with quote hell -

Hauntium for favor is doomed from the start. It's a fetch quest without any interaction with the crew that you will quickly get bored of and never use the sect again because you got tired of the foundation of it and don't want to bother doing it whenever you play chaplain.

Not really any reason for the appearance changes, everyone wants to flavor their religion their own way. If they want pale skin and purple eyes they can just choose that in customization. Same sort of deal with the "no doctors" thing later, if people want to take that direction it's their choice to enforce it.

The downside is still too much for how easy and unavoidable death can be. People will just not pick it rather than have to deal with it.

Induct acolyte doesn't really have a reason to exist. The only other sect to have a mechanic of bringing people into it is the Crusade, and here it doesn't really interact with anything else. Just gives them access to the toys you have.

You can put a photo in the autolathe for the hauntium, no need to use a ritual for it.

The whole crown of death thing feels too gimmicky? You perform a fetch quest, run off to your secret gamer cave hideout, and emerge with a monkey you can swap to (and inevitably use to mass suicide bomb the station with). There's not really a whole lot of interaction with others.

The bible and the general theme are both cool. We don't really have any sects that fill the niche of death and all that and I'd like to see one that does
Redid the whole idea once again, now it's focused on making your own Frankenstein. Need ideas for non-Frankenstein related rites, though.