Save Us From Experisci Hell | I Will Not Learn To Code™

A place to record your ideas for the game.
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Save Us From Experisci Hell | I Will Not Learn To Code™

Post by 8bot » #711583

This all may have been suggested before, I don't know, if it has then crush my skull with a brick I don't give a shit.

Experisci is disliked by a large quantity of the playerbase. Some because it feels half-baked, some because it is tedious, some because they feel like its very concept is flawed. In my experience it is just something that you pick the path of least resistance with in order to get it over with so you can forget it exists.

My proposal (which like I said, has probably been suggested before) is as follows: Bake the gain of research points into the other fields of science in a more direct, intuitive, and streamlined way.

How do I mean?

Replace or repurpose the Experiscanner to, instead of checking for completed experiments, consume certain items that are produced by science. For example, slime cores. Each color could be assigned its own sum of research points, and be consumed when scanned - Greys could give 50 research points as a baseline, since they can be created in such humongous quantities. People are going to do Xenobio anyways, and this will let them actually achieve something with the 10 gorillion cores they would otherwise have sit in their freezer.

Maybe Robotics can consume their built, but not currently in-use cyborgs or mechs for big huge research points as well, but somebody raised issues with the current mech destruction contributing literally nothing to the station.

I don't know how circuits or cytology or whatever works because I've never played them, but to those who have, you can probably suggest ways to fit this in.

Genetics can work like a less extreme toxins: Every discovered mutation gives a small number of points, with certain ones having bounties assigned at roundstart that vastly increases their value.

Toxins can be kept how they've always been. Big-ass huge boost and everyone goes "Nice."

The sum of this idea is to allow the department to properly contribute to R&D in a non-tedious manner that still lets them play their jobs.

>But wouldn't this make accruing research points much faster?
Yes, especially if you get a genetics god or something. That's not a problem!

>This is just scanning stuff, except it's removed.
True, except this stuff is what you'd be producing anyways. What you don't use, you can consume for extra research. Or if you need lots of research quickly, you can divert resources towards that goal.

>Why don't you code it yourself, you lazy piece of shit? Fuck you!
I am a fucking idiot, that's why.
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: Save Us From Experisci Hell | I Will Not Learn To Code™

Post by Jacquerel » #711613

Replacing the tedious experiments with even more tedious but also resource-draining "rote mass creation and destruction of what you can produce" would be worse, not better.
This is replacing the whole thing with constructing meat toilets.

At that point, why not just propose removing experiments and slightly increasing the rate of gaining points over time?
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Post by 8bot » #711625

Removing it works too!!
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711730

Literally removing it would be preferable, the stupid break 2 mechs experiment is the primary reason I don't often play roboticist.

My will to play roboticist is directly tied to how much willpower I have to do that fucking experiment for the 9999999999999999999th time.