AI upload password - Barrier to 40 law change rounds

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

AI upload password - Barrier to 40 law change rounds

Post by Redrover1760 » #712059

This is just a silly idea I came up with after reading github.

The issue in question for those unfamiliar: AI laws are too easy to change. In comparison to the sorta well secured secure tech storage and the well defended ai upload chamber, printing the board out of any imprinter including engineering ones if they make an unlocked imprinter to make the board, it becomes absurdly easy to fuck with AI laws. This has issues, from constant upload wars between random crew and antags in maint with ai uploads to sort of just making uploads and laws a total meme. Its not hard to just unsubvert the ai, or upload shit laws to troll it.

My proposed solution is to add a unique password to ai upload boards. There would be an indicator when examined that states that you need to use a multitool to enter a network password if you want the upload to be able to work. The already existing board in secure tech storage and the chamber are already signed in with the password, and examining the board when it is in your hand will inform you the password. In addition, all AIs knows the password, or at least the Nanotrasen one (potential support for non NT AIs on a different network with different password?). So if you go out of your way to make an AI you can get the password that way too. Alternatively, an Emag used on an ai upload console will bypass all password requirements. Alternatively, the hacked ai law board could do this instead or in addition to the emag.

In addition, there would be a dedicated incredibly hard to destroy terminal similar to the RnD servers, which my initial vision is to actually be put in the RnD server room. This ai network server allows you to retrieve the password after a long do after. Essentially, the RD will have to contend with being the main one responsible for keeping the password under wraps, which would also probably help Science be more of a risky place indeed.

In addition, the existence of an ai network terminal or server has immense potential for antag objectives or consequences if it is destroyed. Perhaps by destroying the server, all remote uploads are blocked entirely (Presumably crew would be discouraged from doing this without good reason, cause potential for ion laws and the difficulty to unsubvert ai). Maybe you can actually make more servers, but they obviously dont come with a password. An antag objective to modify the server in some way which ends up adding an ion law after a significant delay to all AIs that are accessible, etc.

I dont really know how AIs are separated, ie stuff like golem or russian station drone ais interact with the existing system and such. As well, dont forget that worst case scenario you can still modify a AI laws by clicking the board on the core.
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Re: AI upload password - Barrier to 40 law change rounds

Post by 8bot » #712060

major pain in the ass and high potential for a 'why bother' situation cropping up; not a fan of this idea.
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Re: AI upload password - Barrier to 40 law change rounds

Post by Redrover1760 » #712061

8bot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:48 am major pain in the ass and high potential for a 'why bother' situation cropping up; not a fan of this idea.
I agree.