Migrants

A place to record your ideas for the game.

How should this be implemented?

It shouldn't be
17%
As a minor thing in the current mining asteroid
17%
As a full new Z level/away mission style thing
31%
As a full new Z level/away mission style thing combined with mining/explorer job
36%

Total votes: 36

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Migrants

Post by Steelpoint » #87044

Bottom post of the previous page:

We already ban for crap like that, I should know since the guy/s that have done that/tried to do that to me all got banned.

Imo I think a toxic forest/swamp is a good singular choice simply because I think we can make a swamp more interesting and atmospheric than a empty desert.

I think a combination of procedural generation and prebuilt structures will be effective, mainly in making the ship and the surrounding area pre made. Of course the problem with procedural generation is that you cannot guarantee the quality, but I think we have to do procedural generation to avoid a situation where you can memorise the perfect way to get all the equipment needed.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #87145

Miauw wrote:>get killed
>respawn as migrant
>die 500 times
>make it back onto the station
>kill the person who killed you
Would be fairly obvious. You can already do the same as a golem, positronic brain, pAI, or drone (or just tell your metafriend on skype).
lumipharon wrote:Why not a variety of deadly locations?

Noxious swamp, arid desert, the insides of a giant space worm, who knows which you'll be going into!
Suggested that in the OP. Skeletons in the desert, lizards in the toxic jungle, golems in the asteroid belt, plasmamen ???

Skeletons would feed something to their tombs/lazarus pits to make more of them, lizards would have nests/hatcheries, golems would build each other or some shit, plasmamen would feed plasma to their mad science tubes.

And yes I think a mix of procedural (for the desert itself) with prebuilt station structures/migrant bases, ancient tombs etc would be best.

Hell maybe we could allow you to launch escape pods early and have them fall in the desert for desperate traitors to escape security, or the bored clown to go explore.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87154

I can support nests due to lizard ERP.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #87156

DemonFiren wrote:I can support nests due to lizard ERP.
They'd be structures with a bunch of large egg sprites and you'd feed it monster meat you sick bastard no ERP
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87179

;-;

Kor, you are literally breaking my heart.
Also, how the hell do those things grow so quickly. It's almost like they genetically modified themselves to reproduce faster.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #87198

DemonFiren wrote:;-;

Kor, you are literally breaking my heart.
Also, how the hell do those things grow so quickly. It's almost like they genetically modified themselves to reproduce faster.
Space magic I ain't gotta explain shit.

Also I added a poll please vote everyone
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87217

Make exile implants actually useful by exiling all the captured traitorous scum/other undesirables to try survive with the locals in whatever hell holl the gateway rolled today.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #87260

lumipharon wrote:Make exile implants actually useful by exiling all the captured traitorous scum/other undesirables to try survive with the locals in whatever hell holl the gateway rolled today.
Of course! If the new thing is linked by the shuttle instead of a gateway I'd make the shuttle not take off with implanted people on board or something instead.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #87279

If we force asteroid station down everyone's throats this idea would be even better.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #89525

If we made a whole new game based around survival on a colorful, psychedelic, and dangerous alien planet I think that would be even cooler

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
EmGee
Byond Username: EmGee

Post by EmGee » #89557

all of my yes
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Post by Tunder » #91273

The Mining Asteroid is criminally underused as it stands; I ask admins to spawn people over there as xenos or other mobs all the time but nothing comes of it.

No need for an additional Z level, when so much work has already been done, and the Asteroid has a direct link to the station.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91288

I guess nothing comes of it because you ask admins all the time.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #94611

Moved to more current thread, didn't mean to post it here
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #94613

Fun, fun. Probably should try to stay away from outright encouraging ATTACK ON STATION, though.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #94614

man thank god nearly every maintainer has expressed dislike for this. have fun with your pipe dream until it gets denied for strong autism :^)
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #94620

I love the idea Kor, particularly whatever lore you might cook up and the "hard-mode" style of survival and gameplay.

I've got concerns as to how this will integrate with the rest of the game though, particularly the ever-present issue of shuttle-calling/round end putting it's dick in everyone's fun.
Mime: Depresso
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #94627

I think theory crafting has gone out of control here a bit.

Sticking to the bare basic mechanics, how do we solve problems like migrants jumping off their planet and into space?

One good thing about this idea is you can freely make the planet as deadly and unforgiving as you want but how do we do that? New mobs and environmental hazards (muh lava)?

Lifeweb has ground up survival mechanics. We don't. How are you going to get from asteroid dirt, to various tools, to advanced technology? Maybe something on the colony ship that processes materials into useful stuff?

Should migrants be forced a random name?

Are plasmamen really the most suitable candidate for migrant race?

Let's steer away from this jungle, magical whole new game discussion and think about the first iteration of this idea: An expanded asteroid with ruins, a crashed colony ship and a choice to survive there or attempt to make it to the station.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #94660

Migrants getting onto the station would basically be an intrusion by another species. A way to dissuade it is to make plasma men valid on sight. They are already a more antithetical mob to human life than xenomorphs I can't think of an occasion where admins have put them in a round and it hasn't ended in an inferno.

Also the planet could have plasma nitrogen mix to encourage them to stay there. Starting them without default suits in this plasma land would also help. Think less migrants more natives.

Also the EVA job could have the sub mission to hunt plasma men the mostest dangerouser game.