More paranoid hallucinations

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Likteer
Byond Username: Likteer

More paranoid hallucinations

Post by Likteer » #726172

Currently we have such gems as:
► Show Spoiler
Then some better ones, like:
► Show Spoiler
And the best ones:
► Show Spoiler

I think we should scrap of all the obvious bait & stuns.
Reduce the points given by the Reality Dissociation Syndrome if needed.

Then, focus on stuff that you can't easily check/dismiss.
A lot of these could just be more out of reach audio: clawing/slashing + visceral, door-prying (including non-transparent doors you can actually see), magic...

As for visual, I'd play with view range:
catching a glimpse of something just as you move past
or as it skitters out of view in darkness, just as you approach.

You could also do some split or change the rate at which different stuff appears, depending on drugs, BZ, SM or the trait.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: More paranoid hallucinations

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #726253

Fake radio callouts is a fun one. Random crew saying fake common callouts like "Plasma in distro?" "Blue APC in [random area]", "Nightmare science maint" etc. I think we have some of these already but the choices are a bit lame

Fake disease symptoms for you or people around you might be funny.

If you have a HUD, fake icons on people (officer sees a [W]anted on the CMO just long enough to cause an incident, MD thinks a critted person is dead, etc)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #726591

This is a good idea BUT don't remove all of the wacky hallucinations, give hallucinations flags like

Code: Select all

var/hallucination_flags = HALLUCINATION_PARANOIA | HALLUCINATION_SILLY
Then we can have effects that draw from the paranoia pool, like for low sanity, and effects that draw from the silly pool, like hallucinogens. Best of both worlds.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Likteer
Byond Username: Likteer

Post by Likteer » #726697

mrmelbert wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm give hallucinations flags
I did already mention that. However, even the wacky hallucinations are pretty shit atm. We need more stuff like the one with your mother.
winterseasalt
Byond Username: Winterseasalt

Post by winterseasalt » #726701

i would love more hallucinations that im unable to tell if theyre real or not. for example level 5 biohazard call outs, plasma flood, often times i have to go off the reaction of people around me because otherwise i have no fucking idea if its real or not
of course downright wacky and silly hallucinations are good too, id like such a thing in both the auditory and visual category (like when randomly you will hear the 'HALLEJUAH' sound effect
i do quite wish that hallucinations felt less easy to recognize all the time and also have more effects than just stunning you lol
Imageyou will eat zunda at the end of the worldImage
► Show Spoiler
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #726704

hallucination ideas:
-fake door bolting in the rooms you are in (make them happen one by one so at a glance it seems real)
-fake door shock (we already have stuns from hallucinations just have it proc when using a door with the electrification visual)
-You feel a tiny prick! sleepy pen hallucination when people are next to you
-[name of person next to you] is removing [item on you] messages to trick people into thinking they are being looted
-fake armblade/ling armor/tentacle on people (even better if the fake tentacle launches at you for jumpscare value)
-hallucinations of common virus symptoms

i could probably brainstorm up a decent amount of these that'd add to player paranoia
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #726714

Don't we already have fake door shock?
I like the rest though
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #726728

TypicalRig wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 pm hallucination ideas:
-fake door bolting in the rooms you are in (make them happen one by one so at a glance it seems real)
-fake door shock (we already have stuns from hallucinations just have it proc when using a door with the electrification visual)
-You feel a tiny prick! sleepy pen hallucination when people are next to you
-[name of person next to you] is removing [item on you] messages to trick people into thinking they are being looted
-fake armblade/ling armor/tentacle on people (even better if the fake tentacle launches at you for jumpscare value)
-hallucinations of common virus symptoms

i could probably brainstorm up a decent amount of these that'd add to player paranoia
1. We already have
2. We already have
3. We already have
5. We already have, but we don't have tentacle launch, that would would be kind hard to accomplish
6. We already have
Likteer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am We need more stuff like the one with your mother.
Personally I don't think we need more ones like your mother

mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #726729

winterseasalt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am i would love more hallucinations that im unable to tell if theyre real or not. for example level 5 biohazard call outs, plasma flood, often times i have to go off the reaction of people around me because otherwise i have no fucking idea if its real or not
The funny thing about the plasma flood hallucination is that it's obvious because atmos never runs that fast without lagging
i do quite wish that hallucinations felt less easy to recognize all the time and also have more effects than just stunning you lol
The hard part about designing hallucinations is that people play like 6-8 rounds a day, 7 days a week, which makes almost everything easy to recognize after some time.

TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #726737

mrmelbert wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm We already have
have never seen any of these? it is always obvious callouts, traitor items, and fake announcements. weird. what's the rng chance on these rolling because i usually always see the fake plasma one.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #726759

Fortunately I made a special verb to do this automatically

This is a probability to pick any given hallucination type when a random hallucination triggers, such as for RDS

Note: Some hallucinations pick from a random pool, meaning it ends up being like - "15% chance to pick a random sound then a 10% chance to pick hacking, 10% to pick prying, etc)

TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #726813

mrmelbert wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 pm Fortunately I made a special verb to do this automatically

This is a probability to pick any given hallucination type when a random hallucination triggers, such as for RDS

Note: Some hallucinations pick from a random pool, meaning it ends up being like - "15% chance to pick a random sound then a 10% chance to pick hacking, 10% to pick prying, etc)
Ah okay, a lot of these I wasn't even aware of and would be unlikely to notice even if I knew I was hallucinating (see: stray bullet). I think the funniest one I had was a declaration of war while only understanding undercommon as cap. But the percentages on these seem like they could be ramped up a bit if nothing else? Hallucinations aren't super common as is unless you're intentionally ingesting chemicals that trigger them.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #726830

TypicalRig wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:55 pm But the percentages on these seem like they could be ramped up a bit if nothing else? Hallucinations aren't super common as is unless you're intentionally ingesting chemicals that trigger them.
The percentages add up to 100%. They can't be ramped up any.
This is the pool hallucinations draw from when a hallucination triggers.

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #726831

we should bring back your mom deleting your species
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)