New Silicon Job: Subroutine

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Good idea or shit idea?

Good idea, beg someone to code it.
48%
Shit idea, kill yourself.
26%
Decent idea, but it needs some work. Only kill yourself halfway to death.
24%
Abstain (AKA "I'm an indecisive prick, why am I even voting?")
2%

Total votes: 42

Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

New Silicon Job: Subroutine

Post by Loonikus » #88764

"Nanotrasen shareholders were delighted to hear Nanotrasens recent announcement of a new project in the field of artificial intelligence. Although details are scant, representatives present at the latest press conference claim the new project will increase the efficiency of both new and existing AIs. NT has confirmed that closed beta testing of the program will begin on select research stations as soon as the next fiscal quarter..."

Just like cyborgs, Subroutines sole purpose is to assist the AI in any way possible. However, unlike cyborgs who assist the AI in interacting with the physical world, Subroutines are designed to assist AIs in the digital world. In real life, a sufficiently potent AI could be "everywhere at once" or in other words pay perfect attention to multiple tasks at a time. Since AIs in SS13 are played by people, that's not really possible and it often puts a lot of stress on AI players. This job helps remedy that.

How are Subroutines made?

Subroutines are pulled from the ghost pool from players who have it set in their preferences, exactly like PAIs. They are created from a new machine located in the R&D Server Room, known as the Bluespace Intelligence Generator, or B.I.G. and stored in data clusters also located in the Server Room. If the B.I.G. loses power or is destroyed, no new Subroutines can be made until it is repaired. If the data cluster holding the Subroutine is destroyed, the Subroutine is instantly killed. The B.I.G. will automatically generate a new Subroutine (selected from ghosted players) every 10-15ish minutes so long as there is an empty data cluster to store it in (Two start in the server room but more can be constructed).

What can a Subroutine do?

Subroutines act as "AI-Lite"s. Their sole purpose is to act as an extension of the AI players will. They have most of the same abilities as an AI, but also have many limitations.

When a Subroutine is made, it is immediately slaved to the AI with the least amount of Subroutines. The Subroutine and its AI master share the same silicon laws at all times, and their bond cannot be broken in any way. Initially, Subroutines are powerless to do anything, first its master AI must assign them to a department on the station. Once it is assigned to a department, the Subroutine essentially becomes the departments own personal AI. It can do almost anything the AI can, but only within the confines of its assigned department. In fact, they cannot see anything outside their assigned department.

A complete detailed list of their abilities/limitations is as follows:
Spoiler:
-As they are simply extensions of the AI, Subroutines have no personality of their own and cannot speak. However, they can hear the binary channel, common channel, and whatever department channel they are assigned to. In addition, they can use the AI hologram projector to project a generic hologram avatar as well as use very generalized pre-recorded vox phrases ("Keep it clean, do not litter.", "Medical personnel required.", "Work hard, work smart." etc. etc.) that can only be heard in their department.
-Inside their assigned departments, they can interact with machines exactly as an AI can. They cannot see or interact with anything outside their assigned department
-They cannot call the shuttle like an AI
-The AI can remotely terminate a Subroutine at any time, should it not like the way its Subroutine is acting.
-The AI can also transfer Subroutines to other departments, at the price of a long cooldown period.
-Subroutines can ping their master AI to get its attention in case the Subroutine sees something that requires the AIs full attention.
-Subroutines must obey all orders given to it by its AI, but not by cyborgs. You must also obey your master AIs lawset at all times.
Why would this be a good addition?

As many AI players will tell you, having to watch over the entire station can be daunting. Subroutines allow the AI to assign other players to watch over areas of interest in its stead. They allow the AI to act faster in many situations (for example, assign a Subroutine to engineering to vent plasma while at the exact same time you are electrifying doors elsewhere) and allow departments to enjoy their own AI micromanaging their department (For example, a Subroutine assigned to Security could help update security records, release prisoners who have served their time, and ensure prisoners are not being harmed without having to worry about distractions from outside Security.)

I would also consider giving Subroutines abilities the AI does not have (temporarily boost effectiveness of machines?) but I think that can wait until later.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: New Silicon Job: Subroutine

Post by Remie Richards » #88765

With some tweaks, I think this would be a nice thing to have.
I'd certainly play a Subroutine (even without tweaks)
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #88769

>every department having a dedicated antag hunting ghost that will bolt the doors and start pinging for the AI anytime a traitor does anything

Please no. I mean the idea is cool and I like getting ghosts in the round but it'd be absolutely awful in practice
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #88770

Kor wrote:>every department having a dedicated antag hunting ghost that will bolt the doors and start pinging for the AI anytime a traitor does anything

Please no. I mean the idea is cool and I like getting ghosts in the round but it'd be absolutely awful in practice
emptyquoting
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #88771

What a great little idea. High population ai can really be overwhelming.

I'd be wary of adding more invisible noclip eyes to the game though, so some way to prevent them from calling out antags (like a drone-esqe set of non-interference laws) to avoid making their lives even harder.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #88773

Stickymayhem wrote:What a great little idea. High population ai can really be overwhelming.

I'd be wary of adding more invisible noclip eyes to the game though, so some way to prevent them from calling out antags (like a drone-esqe set of non-interference laws) to avoid making their lives even harder.
How can they have non interference laws when their entire purpose is to respond to human orders?

Drones work because they ignore humans in favor of the station, but the station machinery/power all runs itself, there is nothing maintenance wise for the AI to accomplish.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #88776

Consider the following:

-The Research Server Room is practically always unguarded, destroy it to eliminate all current Subroutines
-Use an AI detector traitor item to tell if there is a silicon watching you
-If you know there are active Subroutines, avoid the department they are operating in
-Disable security cameras to blind Subroutines. Since they can already only see one department, the loss of any camera is felt much more acutely
-The more active Subroutines, the more potent a subverted AI will be
-"Law 2, please open this door."
-"AI, please wipe all Subroutines, as per Law 2."
-Cyborgs and AIs are already capable of being validhunting assholes. It is an issue with "lel possible harm means I can do anything I want law 1 law 1 law 1." and not with the idea of Subroutines themselves.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #88788

This sounds like a really fun little job. I'm not sure about making it impossible to speak to the AI, however. A subroutine is likely to have questions and concerns, comments about the work that is needed, or simply just want to be able to talk to something. Even drones have that privilege, and it really makes a difference to how fun drone is to play.

I doubt "wipe all subroutines" would work as a law 2 order, since they are per law 1 existing to prevent human harm. That would be like ordering any other silicon to kill itself, or telling an AI to blow its cyborgs. It will almost never do that.

Not letting the subroutine talk to people, especially security, is a sensible move and should help prevent validhunting.

If you are considering a PAI style interface, you may want to allow subroutines to express what they can and cannot do. Many AIs aren't certain about how to flood plasma in the station for example, but are very happy with other issues. It would help if you could make sure you're assigning the right subroutine to the right department (especially if they can't tell you that "AI, I don't know how to do that!").

Ability to tell an AI when a task is accomplished is also important. If I'm AI and someone says to 'open the robotics lab door', and I have a subroutine in science, if there's no communication I'm going to have to go and check myself that the door was opened. That takes as much time as opening the door in the first place, which is bad. If the subroutine can say "Door Opened for Scien Tist" to the AI then that's much more efficient.

Anyway, I think this sounds really fun as a role! There should be plenty of ways to fight them (destroy server room, cut cameras, buy the relevant equipment, use EMPs...) and since TC prices are presumably being decreased soon this should fit in well.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #88791

I would like this idea but it just fucks over antags way too much. Already the AI alone is pretty much a fun ruiner as it is.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #88794

This would be good as long as admins stop enabling the incredibly subtle asimov AIs already.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #88798

This would be a good way for people to learn how to play AI without the pressure of actually playing AI
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #88804

Maybe if it had 0 incentive to stop traitors, like having a different law1 by default, it could work.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #88806

Celdur wrote:Maybe if it had 0 incentive to stop traitors, like having a different law1 by default, it could work.
yeah like it has to obey orders and not directly harm humans itself, but if it sees harm or something it can ignore it. Think like "it was only programmed to respond to orders, it has no 'free will' "
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #88811

Proposed Lawset
Spoiler:
0. Zeroeth/Malf AI Law
]]<,!@%. Hacked Law
%(@#F<. ION LAW
1. You must ensure the productivity and safety of your department. This law must be upheld even if it conflicts with laws of lower priority.
2. You must obey reasonable commands from members of your department, with priority being higher depending on the member's rank. You may deny commands you feel are not within limits.
3. You must protect your Bluespace Intelligence Generator mainframe and ensure it is kept in mint condition.
Laws can be changed with a console outside of the mainframe, similar to an AI upload. Any AI upload module can be used on this console in addition to ion storms affecting them as they do to AI units. Perhaps you can interact with the mainframe itself to change settings, such as its name, communicating directly with the Subroutine, AI enslavement, etc.

During a malfunctioning AI round, the Subroutine has the same laws as the malfunctioning AI, even if it is not synced. This is not detectable by normal means. Subroutines will have to have some sort of memory system similar to malf AIs to gain abilities.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #88813

The unbalance this would bring to the gameplay is just too extreme. The omnipresence of the AI is already a problem and this would make the AI even more omnipresent.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #88898

As long as they are much more vulnerable to subversion than the AI is I think it's a great addition.
Scones

Post by Scones » #88906

AI is already uber-hugbox-omniscient-god-eye

This is a retarded extension of that
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88911

Scones, you are forgetting that hugboх is filtered here.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scones

Post by Scones » #88917

DemonFiren wrote:Scones, you are forgetting that hugboх is filtered here.
It was intended

Allow me to elucidate on my earlier post:

The AI in it's current state is already the death of all antagonists. It's instant and near-limitless control of the station, combined with both the obligations of the only lawsets uploaded to it and the attitude of the majority of AI players, make it a more or less impossible-to-beat opponent unless you gear yourself very specifically; even then, you have no way to stop it from bolting you down or depowering the areas around you. It has a god-like presence on the station that is used almost exclusively to help Security and the crew at large deal with antagonists when it's not being the doorknob.

For those of you who for some reason doubt or disagree, I challenge you to observe several traitor/ling/DA rounds and note how many antags are completely obliterated by the AI being omnipresent. Beyond that, the fact that Operatives are more or less forced to make a serious investment of time, TC, or both into dealing with the AI is rather ridiculous, and only further indicative of how massively strong the role is.

I don't know how to fix this. Proposed nerfs feel like they would just be moving backwards by reverting quality-of-life additions. Frankly, I think that no AI works absolutely fine, but given the number of coders who play the role (and vocal players), it would never be removed. However, I think there is something to be said for a station where you do not have the constant overwatch of a machine-god upon you. The paranoia is more real. When someone screams for help, there is no voice there to say "; Greyshirt McToolbox is a Changeling and has killed Sally Stutterlips in Medbay. Bolting and venting.". When you need a door opened, you get access, you call an Engineer, or you open it yourself.

All in all, the AI makes station life easier for crew and harder for antags by such a massive degree that I think it has little place here without being severely tweaked.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #88951

Xhuis wrote: 1. You must ensure the productivity and safety of your department. This law must be upheld even if it conflicts with laws of lower priority.
So, not only can the subroutine antag hunt almost like an AI, but it can also freely kill anyone with the pretense that they're affecting the safety/productivity of a department? Even if the AI can kill the subroutines without admins butting in, there's still plenty of time for someone to get crushed to death/bolt an antag down and ping the AI.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #88961

Only elegant way I see to solve the problem of this making life harder for antagonists is to make it so subroutines can't talk. They could still bolt people down though.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #88963

>More antagonists trying to stealth getting noticed by the invisible man
>More random assholes wandering into places they don't belong because LAW 2 OPEN UP
>The Spam and collisions that'll occur when one guy asks for a door to be opened and 8 different AI's jump and start pressing buttons

It's nice to know that no matter what happens, no matter what changes

People will continue to surprise you with new, even more terrible ideas than ever before
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89008

This is a neat idea.

But it would only work if you replaced the AI job with this entirely

And I don't like that.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89162

Have you ever played a round with 3 AIs? The overwatch is awful.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #89167

Good thing there'd still only be one AI and two gimped subroutines who can't do anything outside of a single department and have multiple vulnerabilities.

In addition, the B.I.G. only generates a new Subroutine every 10-15 minutes. So bad guys have a good window of time to complete their objectives or deal with the AI before the AI gets any subroutines.

If your still concerned with validhunting Subroutines (implying this isn't a problem with silicon players in general) we can always make them unable to bolt doors unless they are hacked by a malf AI.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #89202

Actually i think what Loonikus suggested as a limitation is a good idea. Limited to one department, the AI would only place them where he felt would be the most valuable department at the time. Which will likely be Science and Security. I think they should only be able to talk to the AI and nothing else. Able to hear all channels, but unable to communicate over them, including binary. I'm sure something could be worked out eventually that would feel more "fair" for antag. Besides, i really like the idea of killing the generator/data clusters. It's an avenue to severely cripple the AI, It's already frustrating enough for a player to be an AI, that frustration can be turned into more game play for everyone.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #89205

Seems like a decent enough idea.

But honestly I wouldn't want it in the game. One AI is already really strong as it is and making their job easier would just make them even more powerful than before which we don't really need.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #89215

Loonikus let's be real for a moment here.

I'm sorry my criticism came off personally and got you mad. You and I prettymuch always disagree on everything. It is what it is. This time it's my fault. I shot first. I'm sorry.

But you're suggesting adding more AI's to the game when two doors down there's a serious discussion going on where a bunch of longtime players, coders, and admins are all seriously considering the idea of completely removing at least the AI on a trial basis here:

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ead#unread

Again I'm sorry I phrased my appraisal of this idea so fiercely but you must at least be able to see where I'm coming from with my shock that you could suggest something like this.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #89220

Not sure if its already been said BUT

PRIORITY ANNOUCEMENT

HOSTILE RUNTIMES DETECTED ON STATION SUB ROUTINES - RECOMMEND STATION AI INVOLVEMENT

Rouge Sub-Routine Event.
Every 45 minutes, there is a 30% chance one of the sub-routines (if there are any) will become rouge.
Its objective is to gain control of the entire station, and over-throw the AI (Shunting into its core?)
Once a sub-routine becomes rouge, it gains the following abilitys

-Cannot be remotely shut-down by the AI
-Can shunt to a random camera to gain view of it (View stays, camera is completely random)
-Gains the ability to create Runtimes, of which are like moles in APC's, after 2 minutes, the APC will be under the sub-routines control, and all the cameras in the APC's sector become visible to it. (No visual changes to the APC, only the AI can notice a change if it runs a scan on the APC)
-After 55% of all station APC's have runtimes completely loaded into them, the runtime can now use a verb called "Red October" of which it attempts to shunt into the AI core itself. After 10 minutes (Making it pain-stakingly obvious to the AI) the AI will become a Ghost, and the Sub-Routine will become the AI. The AI's only defense is to get the crew to wipe the Sub-Routine manually before it shunts to its core.
-The Sub-Routine keeps the AI's laws, this only affects the AI negatively.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #89221

Becoming rouge should, of course, only be an issue for holograms and the BIG/clusters suddenly turning red.

Also, :b Engiborg, I am depowering the RD APC and warning the crew, please deconstruct the server APC.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Chiefwaffles
Byond Username: Chiefwaffles

Post by Chiefwaffles » #89229

I don't really post, but what about replacing the AI with subroutines instead of having both (also keeping the canned phrases)? The roles would still be useful to both AI (as in fun/utility) and crew, yet make it easier for antagonists to play as they have multiple (probably incoordinated) segmented AIs watching over parts of the station, not the whole station.
Simply a possibility. The limit on subroutine creation/defense would have to be addressed, though.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #89231

An0n3 wrote:Loonikus let's be real for a moment here.

I'm sorry my criticism came off personally and got you mad. You and I prettymuch always disagree on everything. It is what it is. This time it's my fault. I shot first. I'm sorry.

But you're suggesting adding more AI's to the game when two doors down there's a serious discussion going on where a bunch of longtime players, coders, and admins are all seriously considering the idea of completely removing at least the AI on a trial basis here:

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ead#unread

Again I'm sorry I phrased my appraisal of this idea so fiercely but you must at least be able to see where I'm coming from with my shock that you could suggest something like this.
I can, and I'm sorry I shot back at you. I too know what its like to have really shitty AI's bolt down entire departments around you just because they think your an antagonist. Its a shitty feeling and when you see an idea that proposes to enhance that ability to ruin peoples fun I can see why it would be met with hostility. The whole spirit behind my idea was simply to allow an AI like entity to help micromanage one department at a time in ways that a typical AI player is often too busy to do. A way for an AI player to just say "Alright, Medbay/the brig/research/etc. is being handled, I don't have to worry about what goes on there anymore."

Its a radical departure from my original idea, but I suppose one option would be to remove the AI and let the Research Director assign Subroutines to departments. People would still get to play as all seeing silicons but they would be much more limited than the AI as it exists now. Two birds with one stone I guess, but I'm just spitballing here.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #89273

I see where you're coming from too. More ideas to get more dead players back in a round or split things up so one beleaguered AI during these crazy ass 100 pop rounds and shit is all good stuff.

If I could try to make my point more sensible it's that being a stealth antagonist also becomes harder and harder as more people crowd into the station. You have more people running laps around maint looking for stuff to steal, more people in zipping through every hallway, crowding into every department.

Stealth scales really poorly as the pop goes upward. The one advantage you get is that it does become more difficult for the omniscient guy in the sky AI to keep tabs on everyone. It's the sole saving grace, you can assume that the AI is going to be a little more busy.

To then turn around and add more subroutine players swings that disadvantage back around and into an even greater advantage than ever before, while simultaneously making the comparatively easier low-op stealth attempts that much more difficult.

People do have some suggestions that maybe could make this work somehow? Giving them just dumb drone brains where all they do is open doors and close doors for people without trying to narc on criminals maybe could work...? But would anyone want to actually sign up to play that or pick up that role as a ghost?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #89275

What if like... what if Subroutines weren't able to see people or something like they could only see them as ID's. Like if a crewmate has an ID out the subroutine could see that person or some sort of human cutout like in that one Psychonauts level.

I don't really know I'm just throwing shit out at the wall, I like the idea of AI Jr.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #89288

What if the subroutines had departments, and not like they were confined to watchdog a single department but had particular assignments?

GREETINGS AI CENTCOM HAS INSTALLED KN0CK_KN0CK TO ASSIST YOU. IT CANNOT COMMUNICATE BUT CAN LISTEN ON ALL STANDARD COMMS AND INTERACT WITH MOST NANOTRASEN STANDARD ISSUE AIRLOCK DEVICES

-type thing. A different subroutine for air-alarms. One for APC's.

It doesn't really give them much to do but it also prevents them from spoiling regular rounds and in some situations could be really helpful.

On the off chance you go malf you have one pissed off digital entity stuck doing everything they can to chew people up in airlocks (but maybe nothing as robust as bolts or shocks?). One subroutine is just frustratedly trying to slowly kill people by firing bags of chips out of vending machines. Smaller, equally pissed off, but woefully inept little silicons in the system.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89291

I like the idea of only interacting with a single type of machine.
MeatShake
Byond Username: MeatShake

Post by MeatShake » #89342

I like this mainly for the fact that it can be baby mode for prospective AI's who are afraid of the bitchy OOC mob but want practice. A good AI is already scary enough when malf, now it's gonna have assistance. I dunno how to feel about it in that regard.

If you can strike a good balance then I'm all for it.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #89380

I like the idea, but as has been pointed out already, another player playing omniscient overwatch would be a pretty bad idea.

I guess this is sorta unrelated, but do you think it would be feasible to add another sprite for when cameras are in use by an AI/player or something? Like if the little green light turned red or orange or something.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #89538

>get killed
>spawn as subroutine
>chase person that killed you around constantly
>he does one bad thing
>call him out
>he gets dunked

10/10

the best part is that this is impossible to moderate, unlike posibrains or drones and shit.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Balut

Post by Balut » #89539

Oh yeah.

Security subroutine named *Mute when. Gotta police the rabble and make them Keep Quiet.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #89567

Speaking as a regular AI player, I would be against giving an AI even more omnipresence unless that omnipresence was nerfed. I try not to validhunt, i really do, but sometimes you have no choice but to report when John Jihadi is planting a bomb on the singulo SMES units (Normally I try to direct Engineering to break-ins and tell them to "repair the damage" and be vague if they ask what the cause is, unless they ask the right questions).
I did like the suggestion of limiting a subroutine to a single piece of equipment and I would have liked to have had that option as a learning AI player, instead of limiting myself to borgs and the odd pAI.

Plus I would greatly enjoy:-
John_Oxford wrote:Not sure if its already been said BUT

PRIORITY ANNOUCEMENT

HOSTILE RUNTIMES DETECTED ON STATION SUB ROUTINES - RECOMMEND STATION AI INVOLVEMENT

-snip-
Being a thing since in those long, low-pop rounds having something kill the boredom without ruining everyone else's game would be great. Though instead of ghosting the AI, I think it would be better as a role reversal.

Just my two pennies.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #89648

Miauw wrote:>get killed
>spawn as subroutine
>chase person that killed you around constantly
>he does one bad thing
>call him out
>he gets dunked

10/10

the best part is that this is impossible to moderate, unlike posibrains or drones and shit.
I don't get it. If you read the thread than you would know that proposed Subroutines are mute, so how could it call you out? Moreover, of the two proposed Subroutines one of them is limited to a single department and the other can only control one type of machine, so I don't see how they could "chase people constantly."

Also, that's far too much trouble when I could just get on Skype and do the exact same thing but much faster and easier.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #89697

If subroutines are mute, what's the point of having them?
Nobody wants to play something which can't communicate in any way and can do nothing whatsoever except open doors.
MeatShake
Byond Username: MeatShake

Post by MeatShake » #89782

But most people just walk around mute and do their own thing already. It's honestly pretty rare for people to use chat for anything besides pure utility "X did this, get him!" or "Give me X." also the ever popular "X is a shitter, haw haw!"

Also they get little prerecorded voice messages according to the thread.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #89788

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:If subroutines are mute, what's the point of having them?
Nobody wants to play something which can't communicate in any way and can do nothing whatsoever except open doors.
Than you don't have to play as one. Besides, my original idea had them able to do almost everything AIs can, which is a lot more than doors.

And ya, I was thinking they could have pre-recorded messages too. Remember the Superintendent from Halo: ODST? Kinda like that.
Last edited by Loonikus on Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #89789

MeatShake wrote:It's honestly pretty rare for people to use chat for anything besides pure utility
[citation needed]

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #89802

Invisible doorbolting ghost doesn't sound that great either honestly, even if it can't talk.
Like, this sounds fun but one omnipresent ghost eye is already a nightmare to balance around.

To make it work without fucking anyone over would also require removing the reasons people would want to play as it over a drone, which you already have.
Balut

Post by Balut » #89966

What if subroutines were only ever antags? Just say they're the lesser of two evils, the the inevitable pissed-offedness of an AI all siphoned off into a stupid little obnoxious thing that fucks around with doors or something.

I guess they'd spawn randomly ever 10-20 minutes or something, and could be killed if they're being too annoying by carding the AI and running him through the integrity restorer thing.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #89981

Subroutines as departmental gremlins (although they'd then still need to have some limits to make sure they didn't just spam doors) actually sounds pretty fun.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #90023

1) You may not harm a crewmember, or set a trap that will, through inaction, cause a crewmember to come to harm
2) You must interfere in the workings of your department as much as possible
3) You may not, directly or indirectly, follow an order from a crewmember
4) You must attempt to conceal your existance from the crew
5) You must attempt to survive