Give Cult a leader

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Give Cult a leader

Post by Tunder » #92966

Cult need a Dark Priest or Head Acolyte, because the current format of everyone fucking off with no oversight makes Cult terrible.

We need a lead figure whose orders acolytes are bound to follow, so we can weed the dissenting morons out of the starting lineup.

If you keep making high-skillcap antag types, you cannot continue to stick those of us who know what they are doing with those who cannot manage to tie their own ingame shoelaces at shift start. They can learn the ropes via late game conversion, not by trial and error that ruins round after round inside ten minutes of start.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: Give Cult a leader

Post by Falamazeer » #92968

I don't see this being effective honestly.
Does the nuke team leader seem to be working out all that well to you?

Cult needs a lot of things, Not sure this is one of them.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #92980

Falamazeer wrote:I don't see this being effective honestly.

When the admins don't cry 'IC issue' every time some retard forcefully dissents, sure.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #93000

I've been meaning to do this for ages honestly

One of the main issues with cult is that it's hard as fuck to get anyone to listen, and that's because there is no game-assigned leader. Everyone is just [TEAMANTAG].

This would be a step in the right direction, for sure.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93007

Problem: What if designated CUtl Leader has no experience in cult?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #93009

Falamazeer wrote:I don't see this being effective honestly.

Cult needs a lot of things, Not sure this is one of them.
The nuke Team leader has nothing to distinguish them from the rest of the team just access to hit the button and use the main computer

Scones

Post by Scones » #93010

Bombadil wrote:Problem: What if designated CUtl Leader has no experience in cult?
Solution: Nuclear Leader and Cult Leader both have a very large client age restriction
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93011

Scones wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Problem: What if designated CUtl Leader has no experience in cult?
Solution: Nuclear Leader and Cult Leader both have a very large client age restriction

This, oh God please this. Half of all Ops leaders step down and create a vaccuum.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #93019

Also give the ops leaders a distinctive suit and special coloring in comms or something. Same with nar'sie leader. Perhaps a little Nar'sie icon and larger text.

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #93050

I like all of this.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93057

Bombadil wrote:Also give the ops leaders a distinctive suit and special coloring in comms or something. Same with nar'sie leader. Perhaps a little Nar'sie icon and larger text.

An modified leader suit or some sort of visual indicator for nuke ops would be very nice. I'd even be on board with editing their objectives to include listening to their leader.

As far as cult goes I agree with a leader with a different icon and the like. Maybe they could start with an additional randomized word. Or ability to rally cultists to a rune instead of begging over cult chat.
Scones

Post by Scones » #93058

A rally ability is easily doable.

I can look into a special nuke suit for the bossman.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93062

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Also give the ops leaders a distinctive suit and special coloring in comms or something. Same with nar'sie leader. Perhaps a little Nar'sie icon and larger text.

An modified leader suit or some sort of visual indicator for nuke ops would be very nice. I'd even be on board with editing their objectives to include listening to their leader.

As far as cult goes I agree with a leader with a different icon and the like. Maybe they could start with an additional randomized word. Or ability to rally cultists to a rune instead of begging over cult chat.
I had an idea to do this a while ago, with Nien's different nuke suit he drew (the one with the white cape)
but I cba with a 1 item PR, especially a clothing item since they have a confusing var naming scheme so you have to test literally everything for one suit.
私は完璧
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93091

Good thing the Summer Thing is up, then!

I seem to remember NT gave the commander a black hardsuit?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93096

If we're going to implement a leader for cultists, make cults having to obey cultist chain of command stricter policy-wise as well. As it stands, you can create an artificer or something, tell it to not move and print shells, and it can fuck off and ignore you without penalty. If we have cult leaders and the cultist chain of command is still this lenient, then we will guaranteed have people outright ignoring the leader.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #93147

Make cult leader be decided by a rune/ritual to keep the inexperienced away from something too complex for them. Can only be one leader at a time, give them rally ability, special coloured cult messages and chain of command authority as a reward.

Something we ain't using like join join join or something should do.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #93195

The cult doesn't so much need a leader as it does a limited AI-type entity capable of assisting acolytes and mindfucking everyone else.
Mime: Depresso
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93212

invisty wrote:The cult doesn't so much need a leader as it does a limited AI-type entity capable of assisting acolytes and mindfucking everyone else.
There's an idea. But how would you balance giving cult it's own cult-AI?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #93232

Pretty sure they was an abandoned god mode along those lines.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93262

Hand of God, by Neerti on Ntstation. It was damn near working, too, but then Neerti vanished and NTstation died.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
invisty

Post by invisty » #93273

PKPenguin321 wrote:
invisty wrote:The cult doesn't so much need a leader as it does a limited AI-type entity capable of assisting acolytes and mindfucking everyone else.
There's an idea. But how would you balance giving cult it's own cult-AI?
Make it so that the cultists and the cult god are empowered by cultist rituals. The cult god starts off weak and possessing some subversive abilities, but as it gets more followers it becomes empowered to do perform aggressive/obvious things and also empower its followers.

Still suffers from the "single point of failure" like malf AI does.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #93278

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Hand of God, by Neerti on Ntstation. It was damn near working, too, but then Neerti vanished and NTstation died.
YES, PLEASE, THIS. We can turn cult into this! Have Nar-Sie be an actual player who supports and leads the cultists. The Nar-Sie player could do things such as activate one-person runes, and count as a person when activating multi-person ones (with the obvious exception of the summon rune). Like HoG, more cultists = more power, with constructs contributing less towards that total. Of course, if the cult has the Summon objective, the Nar-Sie player gets to materialize and muderbone!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #93283

Falamazeer wrote:Does the nuke team leader seem to be working out all that well to you?
From what I seen, Spec Op leaders always had big say in tactics and gear used. I think you underestimate how many people are willing to follow orders, if they are given by someone competent.

At worst the incompetence will result in leader relinquishing command and saying "let's do what you want to do", and Cult round will unfold just like it used to.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #95969

The biggest problem I see with this is the previously mentioned "What if the boss is shit?" and this applies to other things aswell aside from just cult; xenos and nuke ops. Account age thing will not fix this, it might alleviate it slightly but it is not a fix as I can personally say I have no fucking idea how to Cult and I have been playing for quite some while. I've suggested months ago that xenos should have Progenitor antag toggle, same could be done for cults and nuke ops. It would be an additional button in the game preferences where you toggle if you feel ready to play just a cult grunt and/or cult leader, nuke op grunt or/and the leader, latepopper larva or the progenitor larva/queen. That way people can join in the team antagging and learn without having to worry about being leader who ruined the round for the rest.
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #96096

Marflow wrote:The biggest problem I see with this is the previously mentioned "What if the boss is shit?" and this applies to other things aswell aside from just cult; xenos and nuke ops. Account age thing will not fix this, it might alleviate it slightly but it is not a fix as I can personally say I have no fucking idea how to Cult and I have been playing for quite some while. I've suggested months ago that xenos should have Progenitor antag toggle, same could be done for cults and nuke ops. It would be an additional button in the game preferences where you toggle if you feel ready to play just a cult grunt and/or cult leader, nuke op grunt or/and the leader, latepopper larva or the progenitor larva/queen. That way people can join in the team antagging and learn without having to worry about being leader who ruined the round for the rest.

The problem with most people who are bad at the game, is that they are playing for themselves, they don't really give a shit about being competent or making the round fun for as many people as possible, which is the true goal of an antag. They will sign up for every single antag role to get antag more often, regardless of whether they are competent or not, because they know if they are shit, or go against objectives or the will of their team, they can justly or falsely claim lack of understanding and the admins will not ban them from any antag roles.

The only viable option is to timegate the leader role, same as what should have been done with Nuke Ops Team leader.

New players in a team antag role need a competent, experienced player in charge, or else they will learn little and ruin the round, every round.

Is it a foolproof idea? No, but it is far, far superior to having a potential leader be random.

I have yet to see a point in time where there wasn't at least one regular, long term player on, even at the lowest population levels in which team antag rounds aren't normally available.

There are always regulars on both servers, so the idea of no one being around to lead ops or cult at any given time, which is the only argument against this that wasn't ad hominem I've heard, doesn't hold weight.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #96104

If it's even possible, rather then a timegate (which doesn't in itself imply cult/nuke op/whatever experience), what if it could track the number of time you had been that type of antag?

So after you've been round start cult/nuke X times, you'd be available for the leader position. Or if no one in the team has the experience it could just choose the person with the most.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96139

Make antag leaders as I said perform a routine task to claim the position.

That way training wheels Tommy doesn't turn the whole thing into a joke purely by RNG, added bonus of preventing the negative experience of BEING that shit boss.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96183

Maybe just make leader roles antagbannable if you're shit at them, to fuck up the unskilled morons who haven't even played the regular version of that antag before.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #96223

Cult/Nuke Leaders would be a cool addition.

To start out, every player has a 1% chance to spawn as the leader of a cult/nuke round.
Every round you play as a normal cultist/operative, increases the odds of leader by 1%
Everyone caps out at 30%
If 2 or more players are at 30%, it refers to the RNG.

Nuke Ops leaders spawn with a Black on grey hardsuit, the lights on their visor are also a neon blue.
The suit comes with a built in radio, of which relays they're words over syndicomm in a deeper red colored text.

Cult Leaders spawn with a red cult symbol above their head, and have a red auroa around them.
They can spawn in a heavier, more bulky version of the cult armor.
They also spawn with a tome in their backpack.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96225

>black on grey with blue

That's the NT colour scheme, almost deathsquid to a T.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #96245

Gg, didn't even notice.

It would look badass on a hardsuit though, think about it.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #96410

A great objective/thingo if hand of god ever got finished, would be having a specific target that you can need to capture for a ritual, to allow your master to possess them, letting them interact directly.
invisty

Post by invisty » #96435

lumipharon wrote:A great objective/thingo if hand of god ever got finished, would be having a specific target that you can need to capture for a ritual, to allow your master to possess them, letting them interact directly.
Oh man. What if the avatar/god was capable of temporarily possessing any cultist or dead body as it's main form of communicating with the world? That would be some seriously cultist shit.