Names and Antag Timer

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Yelko Burger
Byond Username: Yelko Burger

Names and Antag Timer

Post by Yelko Burger » #93395

So one idea is when you mouse over a person or animal(or expand it to almost anything really) you see a transparent box with their name. This would make it easier than looking to the bottom left of the window and guessing with your mouse where they are, especially if they're running across the screen.

Another idea is that there would be a timer which tracks how long it has been since you were last antagonist. People with the longest time would take priority over recent antagonists. I can see this would create a cycle of the same antagonists playing together so you could make it so the longer your timer is the higher chance you have to be antag and what I mean is even if you have the longest time you would still have a chance to NOT get antagonist.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Names and Antag Timer

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93710

If the first idea is implemented, I'd like it to be a pref option, as I'm find with reading the bottom left and don't really want a box obstructing my screen but I see how it could be useful to some people.

As for the second option...
Is there any reason this hasn't been done? I feel like things regarding antag roll chances are usually vetoed, but for this idea in particular I can't really see why.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #93747

Some quick thoughts about the antag timer, 1) It shouldn't go by real time passed since you were last antag, it should go by rounds finished, you might have intended something like that but it's still good to make it clear, 2) It resets, or at least lowers itself by a certain amount, when you get antag, having it not reset would just make things boring because at a certain point, you could end up with a fairly sizable group of players with timers high enough that said group ends up having antag almost all the time, and 3) The weighting is done essentially lottery style, where each point you have on the timer is one "ticket" to be antag, I kind of feel that's a pretty fair way of weighting things towards people with high timers while not fucking over people with low ones
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #93763

Anything involving a deterministic antag-timer will be metagamed. "Oh, Bryce Pax was traitor last round, so he's OK this time!" and such.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Yelko Burger
Byond Username: Yelko Burger

Post by Yelko Burger » #93783

PKPenguin321 wrote:don't really want a box obstructing my screen...
What I meant was you wouldn't be able to see the box at all, I'm just assuming the nametag would have to be in a text box which you could then make invisible leaving only the letters.
bandit wrote:Anything involving a deterministic antag-timer will be metagamed. "Oh, Bryce Pax was traitor last round, so he's OK this time!" and such.
That's a good point. I'm sure there could be a good balance of antag allocation to seem random enough while still giving everyone a fair chance at being antag if they haven't been for a while. The reason I was thinking about this was that people in OOC were saying they haven't got antag in over a month!? Maybe they just don't play as much as I do and only play one round a day, but even then I would expect to get antag at least once within a month.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #95968

Yes and yes to both. The antag timer wouldn't give really any metagamey feelings if it's subtle enough. It should just increase the chance mildly, not force it.

Also having some kind of timer bonus from playing security would give incentive for players to play that more often and it'd sort of counter the "I'm not playing sec since then I can't be antag" to an extent.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96180

Marflow wrote:Yes and yes to both. The antag timer wouldn't give really any metagamey feelings if it's subtle enough. It should just increase the chance mildly, not force it.

Also having some kind of timer bonus from playing security would give incentive for players to play that more often and it'd sort of counter the "I'm not playing sec since then I can't be antag" to an extent.
That wass completely fixed by making antag rolls happen before jobs. It now redirects your job if you have Sec to high and roll antag
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #96254

People would just log in once after a hiatus to get their antag fix and then not stick around to play another round. I think the result would just be less traitors devoted to putting on a good show for the rest of the crew. Not to mention the metagaming problem bandit mentioned earlier.

Also, I would imagine any seasoned security player would not want to be coworkers with someone who took the job because they do it for antag points.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #96294

Hovering over stuff to see the name was tried once, but it turned out to be pretty shitty and laggy, so rip.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted