An increase in traitor TC

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Increase traitor TC?

Increase to 22
6%
Increase to 24
22%
Increase to More than 24
50%
keep it the same
22%

Total votes: 36

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

An increase in traitor TC

Post by CPTANT » #96748

This thread is for discussing the possibility of increasing the standard amount of telecrystals a traitor gets in his uplink.

There have been several nerfs to traitor items over time, such as the sleepy pen, e-bow and c-4. These changes have balanced the items but also left traitors weaker. In the mean time changes such helmet cams have made security harder to kill.

You can of course shout "git gud" to traitors, but the overall trend is that traitors have become less aggressive.
It is of course possible for traitors to operate without even using TC at all, but my experience is that the majority of the server population can't really pull this off.
It is especially the low population rounds that suffer from this lack of traitor aggressiveness, as they rely on a select group of traitors to make every round interesting.

To increase traitor aggressiveness somewhat again I propose a moderate increase of traitor TC to 22 or 24. With my personal preference being 24.

Of course everything is open to debate and I would love to hear your opinions on the matter.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: An increase in traitor TC

Post by Steelpoint » #96750

I did recently attempt to double the amount of starting TC's. Nice discussion on that PR but it got cut off, also Github's poor for communication.

Anyway it will be good to get more discussion on this.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #97134

Another aspect that severly hurt traitors is that since antag rolls before job the security numbers have practically doubled.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #97154

There is balance in the world.
Security is over balanced.
No one has nerfed security in a while.
Everyone has nerfed traitors.

Increase the TC count, you have my vote.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #97169

Okay, if you're a coder who is currently masturbating furiously and shaking your head saying "NO! PR CLOSED! NO MERGES FOR YOU! MWEHEHE!" then please read this.

How about we increase TC and instead of making things like bombs cost at least 51% of your TC we simply add a limit to how many of certain items you can buy? That way bombs can be a bit cheaper and still leave room for other traitor items instead of instantly making you have no TC, AND they can't be spammed. (Also limit the amount of soaps you can buy to like 5 if people are into that, although I personally believe soap should have no limit and cost 0 TC.)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97170

i'd support that. as it is if you don't spawn with high access you basically have to get a crypto, and then if you want to defend yourself even in a minor way you need a stech or sword, and then your only real choice is overt hand to hand combat against whoever you're supposed to kill. i think a certain set of TCs that can only go to nasty stuff like beacons, syndibombs or sneaky stuff like chameleons and other infil equipment might be neat. there was a post somewhere around here that went into syndicate factions with specific amounts of TC and recosted things to 'specialize' traitors into certain areas. might be cool to tie that in with this.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #97172

Cik wrote:as it is if you don't spawn with high access you basically have to get a crypto
A screwdriver, multitool and crowbar won't have you executed for possessing, leave much less evidence, and work quite well too.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97174

TheNightingale wrote:
Cik wrote:as it is if you don't spawn with high access you basically have to get a crypto
A screwdriver, multitool and crowbar won't have you executed for possessing, leave much less evidence, and work quite well too.
and i frequently use them, but they aren't a real substitute if you're in a time-sensitive position, if security is behind you playing around with door wires will just get you slapped with a taser, and once you buy one traitor item you might as well go all-in by buying an emag so you can move faster over obstacles, furthermore you can emag borgs which are fantastically helpful.

i frequently steal low-attention items like spacesuits with tools before buying anything but it's not a real option if you're going to be in a hurry.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #101020

It seems the vast majority of 81% is for increasing it and most want even more tc. It would be a shame if nothing was to be done with this.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #101032

Increase TC and add my augmentations idea.

I don't know if we could somehow balance augmentations with having them also printable in medbay if Research has done its job and then medaby does the surgery
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #101099

Make all uplinks draw from the same pool of items.

Make said pool populated based on cost of items. Higher cost = less items.

Could be amazing or utterly terrible.
Mime: Depresso
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #101119

That would just create a race among traitors to get their items as soon as possible, and put late round antags at a disadvantage. Part of the skills of a good traitor is to save your TC until the right moment.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #101121

Ricotez wrote:That would just create a race among traitors to get their items as soon as possible, and put late round antags at a disadvantage. Part of the skills of a good traitor is to save your TC until the right moment.
Which makes for a more interesting round for everyone else: conserving your TC until the "right" (lowest risk) moment, or saying "fuck it" and buying two power sinks and a bomb?
Remove the AI.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #101127

I think the better approach would be buffing antag weapons, as opposed to letting people have more of them.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #101133

rockpecker wrote:
Ricotez wrote:That would just create a race among traitors to get their items as soon as possible, and put late round antags at a disadvantage. Part of the skills of a good traitor is to save your TC until the right moment.
Which makes for a more interesting round for everyone else: conserving your TC until the "right" (lowest risk) moment, or saying "fuck it" and buying two power sinks and a bomb?
Did you mean: Buying five surplus crates?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #101227

Buying five surplus crates at roundstart with the whole traitor pool seems like a good way to get rule-zeroed, (And also could be hilarious)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #101242

Every time this comes up "hehe make all the weapons cost even more!" gets dumped in too.

Like not even saying they should be nerfed instead just plopping it in like it isn't even a nerf.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #101604

TC scaling based on current round pop.

Never drops below 20.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #101609

Incomptinence wrote:Every time this comes up "hehe make all the weapons cost even more!" gets dumped in too.
That's because the idea is to keep people from having enough TC to literally ebow/esword/thermals, you're gonna have to skip out on SOMETHING.

Everything was doubled when the TC was doubled to 20, this way the coders could do things like reduce barely used things like AI detectors and soap to 1TC, since reducing that to a non-integer 0.5 TC was not possible and kind of stupid anyway. Things that used to be cost 2TC (1/5th of your total crystals) are now 3TC (~1/6th of total), you get the idea..

Now you can ebow/esword AND be able to afford a couple of supplementary tools that you would have otherwise had to give up, or would snub your nose at because while it was still 1tc before, that was still a large investment that could have been made somewhere slightly better.

Raise the TC to 50 starting out, sure. It'd give more wiggle room for pricing utility items but you better believe the high-end gear is also going to get bumped up too so nobody is running around with 5 eswords.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.