MMI/posibrain mech QOL improvements

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

MMI/posibrain mech QOL improvements

Post by Cik » #97566

hi, i just played an extended round as a ripley for probably at least an hour and half, and while it was fun to run around as a mech fulltime it desperately needs some improvements just to general usability; they were obviously designed to be a human augment rather than a full time thing and it's evident in usability issues like

inability to use department radio
inability to use consoles; a pain in the ass by the way when you're a ripley with three ore crates who can't get back on the station because the only way you can interact with the shuttle console is drilling it
binary radio on button (you can either talk locally or talk locally and on radio! ; doesn't even work, you have to use the cumbersome mech radio on/off switch like old AI)
some other stuff

a coder added AI mech control via intellicard; does that mean the AI keeps it's door control function (like the wireless intellicard?) if so i'd request that any posibrain/MMI mech be given the same treatment. if not i'd still support some sort of 'relaxed access' requirement because as it is adding departmental access to mechs is a pain in the ass and drilling through walls to get into medbay for instance just feels far too 'tide-y for me.

likewise, it desperately needs the quick-access icons like most other things have gotten (the little icons in the topleft is what i mean) to raise/lower weapons/turn on lights etc, while the interface looks cool it is EXTREMELY SLOW

anyway mechs are fun and i really appreciate the mechwarrior 2 reference on startup but they show their age badly.

i'm posting this in the hope that somebody could add some of this stuff and that it's not too difficult. it feels like begging but i don't know it would be nice. thanks.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Re: MMI/posibrain mech QOL improvements

Post by John_Oxford » #97567

Its rare that people play for a hour and a half as a posi-brain/MMI in a mech.

Mechs are mechs, they are men't to be controlled by humans.

The way i always seen it, was that when you put a posi-brain in the mech, it essentially was just a brain jurry rigged to be able to control the throttle of the mech, and have access to its computers.

Mechs with door access, the ability to use consoles, quick access icons, ect ect, would essentially be the down fall of the station, because robotics would ONLY build mechs, disregarding cyborgs/RnD/other people.

The Ripley is a ageing design, SS13 is a ageing game, the controls are men't to represent that.

HOWEVER.

Upgrading the Odyesus, Gygax, Durand, And Maurader/Serpah would make more sense, because these are combat mechs, fresh off the line.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #97575

I don't think the Ripley should intentionally suck to control just because "it's meant to be old", that would be pretty shit
Everything else has action buttons, it would be smart if mechs did too
Cik

Post by Cik » #97578

John_Oxford wrote:Its rare that people play for a hour and a half as a posi-brain/MMI in a mech.

Mechs with door access, the ability to use consoles, quick access icons, ect ect, would essentially be the down fall of the station, because robotics would ONLY build mechs, disregarding cyborgs/RnD/other people.
i don't know about this. mechs are nice and currently they don't see much use besides the odd ripley, mostly due to average round length in my opinion, and little else.

but i've played the ripley pretty thoroughly now, and even assuming it was given door/console access it still isn't really better than a stock engiborg; it is slower, bigger, turns like a tank, doesn't have anywhere near the versatility in terms of ability to deconstruct/construct things. i guess you wouldn't see any mediborgs (not like you do anyway, they're not any good) or maybe less minerborgs (again, pretty much extinct) but the borg types you do see in huge amounts (sec, engi) would still be as useful as they are right now. the only advantage to positronic ripleys is that they are less liable to go rogue i guess but just make them emaggable and then you know, no problem :^)
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #97584

Cik wrote: a coder added AI mech control via intellicard; does that mean the AI keeps it's door control function (like the wireless intellicard?)
That coder is me! I also yoinked Positronic brains from RemieRichards! (hug her if you see her!) To answer your question, the AI does, in fact keep its normal controls. You middle-click to use the mech controls. It was originally the other way around, but a giant spider nearly bit my head off over it, so I changed it. Giving them a radio (perhaps by childing them from radio MMIs instead of normal ones) probably would help, but I absolutely will not give them binary - this would be used to call out rogue AIs, and that would be very bad. I am aware that mining SUCKS for an MMI, I am looking into a solution for that. No promises.
Cik

Post by Cik » #97599

nah binary isn't necessary, just easier to use controls, thanks amigo

edit: now that the cat is out the bag so to speak i think giving ripleys normal AI-esque door controls is perfectly fine; it doesn't really make sense that an MMI or posibrain, which don't have to go through a sophisticated process to become an AI, don't behave just like the AI does when attached to an exoskeleton. IMO there's no balance issue in just handing door controls to MMI/posibrain now that the AI has it.

the AI i assume gets all access just like a normal AI, but does it keep it's laws or not? if it does we must choose between i suppose either removing the AI's laws when attached to a mech and then taking away some of it's access, or giving posibrain/mmi mechs laws in which case they can get all access i'd guess.

i've never been an AI mech, instead opting straight for MMI --> mech instead. but i think it would be a good idea to just bring MMI/posibrain ---> mech onto par at least. the distinction doesn't really make sense.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #97614

Giving mechs wireless all-access over things like doors and apcs would have to be given with a lawsync to the ai, or at least some sort of lawset. That's what's happened to all other all-access creations.

Giving a mech partial access can be done by humans just scanning cards on the thing, no need to change stuff there.

HUD buttons would be lovely for mech stuff, last I checked it was a pain to see what was going on. Mech integrity would also be nice for a HUD.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #97618

Posibrains should have built-in radios, like radio MMIs do. Problem solved.
It's not too difficult to change a mech's access, but not being able to interact with the mining console is a big deal for Ripleys. How about ctrl-clicking a console whilst in a mech lets you use it? (It's also used for dragging, but mechs can't drag things.)
Gun Hog wrote:You middle-click to use the mech controls.
I use a laptop, what do?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #97620

Get a USB mouse.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #98273

MMIs and posibrains in mechs don't have any laws. Giving them the same access and abilities as an AI in a mech would be stupid.
Cik

Post by Cik » #98298

that was already said read the thread nigga!
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #98353

Just make posibrains/MMIs into AI's, then put the AI in the mech. All issues solved.

The only issue is you can't reuse/deconstruct empty AI cores.
Cik

Post by Cik » #98387

i guess but it's dumb and inconsistent and annoying and weird :brain:
EmGee
Byond Username: EmGee

Post by EmGee » #99991

[quote="Cheimon"
Giving a mech partial access can be done by humans just scanning cards on the thing, no need to change stuff there.
[/quote]
That doesn't work right now.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #100111

EmGee wrote:
Cheimon wrote: Giving a mech partial access can be done by humans just scanning cards on the thing, no need to change stuff there.
That doesn't work right now.
Explain in detail? I just tested it myself (as I was testing something else while reading this), and it is functioning properly. Note that you need Robotics access to interface with a mech's ID upload panel, which probably should be changed.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #100116

Used it a couple days ago, worked fine
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha