Removing the Head of Personnel

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Kill the hop

Poll ended at Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 pm

yes
16%
no
84%

Total votes: 45

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Removing the Head of Personnel

Post by TheNightingale » #98061

Bottom post of the previous page:

CosmicScientist wrote:Renaming the HoP to Leftennant is... what why does that make things better?
Lieutenant. It's only pronounced 'leftenant'. It's good because then we can rename the HoS to Commander and have a proper military structure on the station, complete with saluting, press-ups and deck-scrubbing.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #98062

Wait, it's NOT pronounced Lou-tenannt?
I swear it is.

otherwise the joke in fallout (Lou Tennant, the Master's Lieutenant) makes no sense.

Awww shit I got it backwards.
The UK pronunciation is Leftenant, the US, Lou-tennant.
私は完璧
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #98077

Buddy, if you think I am playing access-secretary as captain you are in for a surprise :lol:

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #98091

CosmicScientist wrote: It apparently happened because the u was pronounced as a v which became a f.
Yeah I know when english was evolving V was a V and a U (which is why W looks like two Vs not two Us and is pronounced "Double U")
I'm also pretty sure R and L were the same letter at some point, given most Asian languages don't differentiate, there's a few more, I forget.

I'm just annoyed because I'm English so to have thought the American pronunciation was right saddens me greatly :P
私は完璧
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98201

CosmicScientist wrote:
Anyway I guess a military structure in rank could work... in an event or special round type since the station is about researching plasma (is the fluff still about that?) and you can always roleplay the HoS was in the military but due to office politics is now commanding a staff of officers who are hyperactive rejects who want to dive into a battle even though they understand nothing of death. Hell if you want a proper structure, you'd need to rename the Captain's rank because wouldn't Commander be higher? Or is Commander something you add on to a rank's title like Lieutenant Commander to indicate such as they're slightly above the norm and oh god my brain just use the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer and change Captain to Lord Solar and everyone else to Cannon Fodder.
Commanders are below Captains

Technically the Captain's rank would be Commander, as that is the typical rank of the Commanding Officer of a navy base. But due to the navy tradition, the commander of anything that floats receives the honorific of Captain.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #98226

Malkevin wrote:But due to the navy tradition, the commander of anything that floats receives the honorific of Captain.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash.

And we don't even get sodomy anymore!
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #98544

I remember how people were saying that letting heads modify IDs would make HoP useless.

I remember how people were saying that giving heads ID modification consoles would make HoP useless.

We laughed at them.

They were right.

It fucking happened.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #98608

They do the grunt work the Captain often cannot find time to do. I don't see why you should remove them - Even if they are ineffective as a head for Supply (Why the fuck isn't their Cargo console an ORDER console and not request?), they still provide a valuable median between the Captain and the crew.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #98642

I thought it was an order console?