nuclear engine pls

A place to record your ideas for the game.
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

nuclear engine pls

Post by LNGLY » #111252

Singulo is old, stale, and has probably ruined more rounds than any other thing in the game. I don't need to be a mind reader to tell that the playerbase is sick of rounds where one engineer is retarded at roundstart and as a consequence the crew gets to spend the next 20 minutes waiting on the shuttle. Every time this happens the server loses at least ten people.

Let's agree as a community that singulo needs to go and start thinking of alternatives. There's already supermatter, but it's kind of boring.

Here are engines SS13 has already had, to my knowledge:

- a plain combustion engine (big fire in a room - ye oldeste venerable engine, birthmother of dwarf bombs)

- a turbine engine (the thing we have in a maintenance hall near atmos. it is gimped now)

- solars of course

- a heat differential engine (two closed gas loops; one passes through a fire room, one passes through space, they meet and the temperature differential generates power. goon has this)

- singulo

To my knowledge there's never been a finished nuclear engine, so that's probably the best bet. It fits all the bills: it's plausible, it's cool, it's foreboding, and it feels volatile in a fundamental way. You can also have its failure mechanism be way cooler than Singulo's is, where it's a binary thing of 'has it escaped or not? if so, round is over.' A nuclear engine meltdown is a gradual process, with plenty of opportunities for a selfless hero clown to charge into the core and pour water on the fuel rods or whatever, at expense to his own genetic wellbeing.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Re: nuclear engine pls

Post by Jazaen » #111260

Don't forget about the glorious supermatter shard! It meets most of your requirements.

EDIT: Besides, I'm pretty sure pouring water over overheated rods would have explosive results.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #111272

Jazaen wrote:Don't forget about the glorious supermatter shard! It meets most of your requirements.

EDIT: Besides, I'm pretty sure pouring water over overheated rods would have explosive results.
Actually the rods are already in water
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #111277

It depends on type of the reactor. Given NT's obsession with plasma (and it's ill-defined capabilities), they would probably use it as a coolant (despite it being terrible at it's job due to high flammability. Maybe it captures more radiation that would otherwise be lost, or something?)
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #111284

Perhaps the other tested way to make something behave strange can work here... Maybe it's a BLUESPACE fission reactor! <Insert technobabble here> makes it so that if it starts to "melt" down it teleports bits of station around it's Z-level, runs wizard "Change" events, has a chance to summon Xenos and cult construct mobs, with rate of summons and changes increasing as it is nearing total "meltdown"?
I play:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111289

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #111293

inertial fusion reactors
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #111335

Doesn't bay have a thing where they use a supermatter shard for heat rather than radiation and have it drive a heat engine?

I tried making an atomic pile kinda deal once with uranium walls/doors surrounding radiation collectors but apparently it's the wrong kind of radiation so no free power for me.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #111341

AFAIK rad collectors literally only check for supermatter/singulo nearby.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #111384

DemonFiren wrote:AFAIK rad collectors literally only check for supermatter/singulo nearby.
Well that brings lazy coding to a whole new level.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #111396

Nothing would be quite more entertaining than a reactor steam explosion ala Chernobyl sending fuel rods through the station and irradiating the shit out of everything.

Maybe not. Radiation sucks balls.
Mime: Depresso
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #111405

funnymatter shard is cool and i wish it was used
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #111407

supermatter shard is never used because it's containment isn't built by default and takes an hour to set up, and everyone and their friends will rush to stop you from building an engine for it because of the supermatter shard meme

that and no one has any experience with it, experienced engineers are rarely on the engineering staff for a number of reasons, so it never gets built so no one ever gets experience.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111423

I think a nuclear engine literally nuking the station (ie destroying everyone on it, and instantly ending the round) could be very interesting. Because of course nobody would ever want to release it (apart from suicide traitors, which you could work around by making it create redtext, and maybe nuke ops). It's the ultimate reason to maintain the engine, the ultimate reason not to bomb critical systems too much. Whereas the singulo creates stupid concepts like "I will release it, hoping my target dies and I escape!".

Plus, unlike the singulo, you wouldn't get 15 minutes of evacuation. The station broke? That's it, round over, fresh start.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #111429

I think it'd be pretty awful to have the entire round wiped because nobody was paying attention to engineering, so there is that as a problem.

Sadly, nuclear reactors cannot cause thermonuclear explosions. Perhaps we could come up with some sort of absurd futuristic Nanotrasen reactor that can trigger a thermonuclear explosion under the right conditions?
Mime: Depresso
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111432

invisty wrote:Perhaps we could come up with some sort of absurd futuristic Nanotrasen reactor that can trigger a thermonuclear explosion under the right conditions?
Plasma collider
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Midaychi
Byond Username: Amidaychi

Post by Midaychi » #111447

You could just port vgstations fixed up version of rust. Pjb is even working on improving it and adding stuff I'm addition to cleaning and fixing it up. http://ss13.pomf.se/wiki/index.php/R-UST
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #111550

Saegrimr wrote:
invisty wrote:Perhaps we could come up with some sort of absurd futuristic Nanotrasen reactor that can trigger a thermonuclear explosion under the right conditions?
Plasma collider
An engine so powerful that most of it consists of a large vent to allow 99% of the energy to escape in the opposite and not blow up literally everything.

Also ITT people that don't know how nuclear reactors work.

> nuclear reactor that uses liquid plasma instead of heavy water because fuck safety regulations
> fucking superheated gas plasma powered turbines going crazy and being replaced every so often because the heat melts them
> hook it up to the distro on one end, supercooled air on the other
> half the station explodes, massively radioactive rods tear apart the rest and horribly irradiate the remains
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #111569

supermeme shard is hilarious sometimes

>shuttle called
>shuttle arrives
>board shuttle
>im a bit hurt
>go to shuttle medbay
>SM shard in medbay fnr
>dont question it
>patch myself up
>SM shard suddenly travels across the room fnr
>burn and die, SM shard irridiates everybody else to death.

i was laughing too hard to be salty.

I DO want another way to flood plasma, though. When I'm playing atmos tech I like to set up the system to better handle plasma floods because there's nothing else to do, so more ways to burn the station is a plus by me.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #111626

Bay's (or at least Urist idk what Bay has) version of the supermatter shard is best, when it reaches critical levels it fucking explodes and devours half the station.

A nuclear fission engine would be completely harmless if it failed because, as previously stated by CosmicScientist, they'll just melt through containment and probably the molten rods would be ejected far away due to the explosive decompression. (the coolant would have flashed into a gas inside the reactor core) On the other hand if you get a reactor that doesn't do that you'll have an inherently safe design like the LFTR design which is self-correcting which is why the idea is so intriguing. (our current nuclear fission reactors come from a technology line that would produce fissile material for weapons, obviously during the Cold War this was extremely attractive)
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #111687

This is a game where our current engine is a black hole in a forcefield. We don't really have to be perfectly realistic with our portrayal of engines.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #111941

LNGLY wrote:This is a game where our current engine is a black hole in a forcefield. We don't really have to be perfectly realistic with our portrayal of engines.
Except harvesting energy from a singularity makes at least a sliver of sense and is largely an ambiguous thing because we can't do it right now in any way. All of it is conjecture and guess, really, but nuclear fission is easily understood and has been a successful thing for decades. You can't really compare the two, all you want is something that's got a level of !!Fun!! to it but nuclear fission really isn't that thing. Port over Bay's supermatter shard setup because it's A: fun, and B: extremely capable of Fun.

There's been so much focus on security and antags that science, supply, engineering, and service have been neglected a lot.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #111971

I really enjoy the singularity though. I'd prefer if the CE could choose which primary power source the station would use (nuclear reactor, singularity, tesla ball collider etc.).

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #111977

[ Primary points highlighted in bold print. ]

That's what really need.

Options.

Expand engineering, make a super matter engine with no super matter shard, have the super matter shard spawn in secure-er storage. Have a PA and containment field set up on the other side of engineering, and have a thermal engine set up in the middle. Then leave blank "Construction Areas" for when one of the engineers decides its a good idea to build TWO super matter engines or TWO singularity engines.

The problem isn't with the singularity itself, its the fact that no one wants to bother to set up all the solars or set up a turbine or supermatter engine, because it takes to much time. The fact that the singularity is easy to set up if someone knows how to do it, generally means they aren't going to say "Well shoot, i might aswell go preform a even more difficult and time consuming task, instead of doing this simplistic and quick task."

The point is, instead of removing the singularity engine, you can add the option to have different kinds of engines. Instead of completely removing a game play mechanic. Experienced engineering players will want to play engineering again, because its something different, not something that got removed and replaced.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #111993

If I wasn't so ass at mapping, I'd map out Engineering for a Supermatter.

I remember we were talking to someone about adapting the holodeck code to work for the engine, making it choose a random engine on server launch.

We really do need something other than singulo though.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #112026

we could ask /vg/ for their antimatter engine, not supermatter, antimatter
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112027

AME is like their least interesting power option. I'd rather have the thermal gen back than that thing.