Energy Daggers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Energy Daggers

Post by Miauw » #112314

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11202

3 TC, 15 damage, can be concealed in much the same way as a sleepypen.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Energy Daggers

Post by Zilenan91 » #112318

Ooh, they fit in PDAs, that makes them so much better than I thought they would be.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #112320

New meta, sec checks everyone's PDA for energy daggers.
But yeah, sounds awesome. Time to go to stab town on someone.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #112321

I'm sold.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #112334

So the poor man's energy sword.

Not bad at all.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #112347

Indeed, at 15 damage it's as good as almost any weapon on the station bar spears and fire axes.

Sounds cool, I'll have to be even more thorough in searching suspected traitors than before.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #112348

Maybe let it eye stab like a screwdriver? Now that would be scary.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #112375

The drill's like that and it's very effective. Only problem is if you keep adding bonuses to it eventually it'll be worth more than 3 TC.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #112417

Well it is pointy. Sneak attacking some poor bastard without eye protection is pretty skulduggeryish.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #112452

It's a neat idea, but honestly, a welding tool does 15 (I think?) burn, is also a small item, and the extended ones you can get from the vendor (or inifinte ones from R&D) will last you long enough to kill more then one person between refills, while also being free, and not making you valid salad.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #112466

I'm pretty sure scalpels are also 15 brute and won't get you sent to perma for having.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #112482

NoX had this. It did extra damage when you hit someone from behind and a lot of damage when thrown.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #112484

Wouldn't you be better off carrying a fire extinguisher? It's not getting you permabrigged and even has other uses.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #112488

Scott wrote:Wouldn't you be better off carrying a fire extinguisher? It's not getting you permabrigged and even has other uses.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:I'm pretty sure scalpels are also 15 brute and won't get you sent to perma for having.
Scalpels are 10, drills are 15, fire extinguishers are 8
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112493

Yeah but can you hide those in your PDA?

It'll be super fucking cool and stealthy until the second or third round after it goes live when sec starts pulling pens out of PDAs just in case.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #112499

Saegrimr wrote:Yeah but can you hide those in your PDA?

It'll be super fucking cool and stealthy until the second or third round after it goes live when sec starts pulling pens out of PDAs just in case.
The point is you don't NEED to hide a welder in your pda.
No one is going to bat an eyelid at anyone carrying a welding tool, and it is just as powerful, with extra utility value.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #112513

So make the pen do 20 damage instead. Maybe even 25.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #112530

Why? It's a melee weapon and it's in the right range for weapons of its type. It's not hard to kill someone with a 15 damage weapon and it's extremely stealthy if it hides in a PDA. Welders quickly run out of fuel if you've got one but aren't dragging a tank with you, and they're harder to hide. At the end of the day, this is also only 3 TC.

Making it do 25 damage means it's literally better than a fire axe (which is good enough to really mess people up). That would be bullshit at the proposed cost.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #112549

Doesn't really occupy an interesting design space. It's a melee weapon you can hide... except nobody will care about a fire extinguisher that goes missing, which does the same amount of damage.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112569

So what I'm gathering from this thread is the only reasons for not adding this as an option for antags because "well it will make you valid" and "other weapons are better."

Can somebody explain to me how that makes any sense? I don't get it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #112571

Because it is completely and utterly redundant.

It would be like being able to buy a type of handcuff for 2tc.
Useful, if it isn't for the fact you can get something that is 100% functionally identical for free without exposing yourself as a traitor.
Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112573

But by that logic why buy any gun when you could just raid the armory? Why have C4 when thermite exists?

I mean just because there's alternatives doesn't mean anything. Should we just ditch all the guns, the esword, and the explosives on the uplink because they're "redundant?"
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #112576

Stan_Studnick wrote:But by that logic why buy any gun when you could just raid the armory? Why have C4 when thermite exists?

I mean just because there's alternatives doesn't mean anything. Should we just ditch all the guns, the esword, and the explosives on the uplink because they're "redundant?"
Except those things are risky, time consuming, and not always feasible. You can literally just pull a fire extinguisher out of the wall and be at less of a risk of being perma'd.

Doesn't really matter, it's already in anyways.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #112577

Aaaaand reverted cause bugged.

I really think it should be able to eyestab and maybe cause assured bleeding or have improved throw force ala hatchet little buff things like that to make it brutish despite not being very damaging.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #112581

If you buff it's damage, the most you want to buff it to is 20, since the standard esword which costs more than twice as much TC and does 30 brute. IMO I'd buff it to 18, which would leave it at 6 hits to crit with a total of 108 damage on an unarmored target. That, or leave it's damage alone and lower it to 1 TC. This would be because a syndicate toolbox also costs 1 TC and does 15 brute, but comes with tools and gloves, while the edagger would do 15 brute minus the tools and gloves. It sounds crazy, a 1 TC weapon, but when you think about it it's not really that bad.

And also I would like to make this clear, one of you said a fire extinguisher does 15 and another said they do 8. Fire extinguishers do 10 damage, guys. Jeez.

The only weapons that can be directly compared to the edagger are the null rod and circular saws (both fit into pockets (i'm pretty sure) and do 15 brute). Both of these are kind of suspicious to carry unless you're the chaplain or a doctor.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112582

What if you just disguise it as a pen instead? Maybe give it some more utility besides "mini esword" like being able to slash open door electronics or something? Would make it a useful offensive weapon as well as an escape tool.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112589

PKPenguin321 wrote:This would be because a syndicate toolbox also costs 1 TC and does 15 brute, but comes with tools and gloves, while the edagger would do 15 brute minus the tools and gloves. It sounds crazy, a 1 TC weapon, but when you think about it it's not really that bad.
This sounds fair enough considering that the syndie toolbox isn't exactly suspicious given the number of places you can get them. Keep the damage and bring it down to 1TC sounds fair enough.
Saegrimr wrote:What if you just disguise it as a pen instead? Maybe give it some more utility besides "mini esword" like being able to slash open door electronics or something? Would make it a useful offensive weapon as well as an escape tool.
Why can't we shoot door electronics anyway? Bay has it, and it's fucking great but you need to basically use an entire egun to do it which seems more than fair. Not exactly quiet to unload on a door and then pry it open with a crowbar, but it sure as fuck would make nukeops more fun.

I'd love if you could cut through windows or regular walls with an esword or edagger too, goddamn that would be crazy cool. (obviously slowly for windows and even slower for walls for balance) Or make it so you could cut the plating with an esword or edagger like it was a welder, or perhaps function almost identically to a welder. I don't know if lowering the TC would be best if that were the case, it might be a little too powerful, but goddamn it would be cool. I wouldn't give that ability to an esword, which would be better served to have the slice-through ability instead. (be Qui-Gon Jinn, cut through Nanotrasen blast door to get at the Neimodian janitor)
Fr05tByt3
Byond Username: Fr05tByt3

Post by Fr05tByt3 » #112590

Saegrimr wrote:What if you just disguise it as a pen instead? Maybe give it some more utility besides "mini esword" like being able to slash open door electronics or something? Would make it a useful offensive weapon as well as an escape tool.
Disguise it as a pen and make it have an open/close function like the esword.
Maybe make it not announce with a message/sound effect, but make the in-hand sprite noticeable. That way, if someone had it ready to cut butts drops it and sec picks it up, they're tatorsalad.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #112592

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... s/tools.dm

Welding tool. 15 burn, readily available to every person on the station, also a small item, not a traitor weapon.

This e-pen is a neat idea, but there is literally no reason to ever use it.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #112593

Make it do bonus damage if used from behind and I'm sold
Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112600

Luke Cox wrote:Make it do bonus damage if used from behind and I'm sold
I'd be willing to give this up if they doubled as a welding tool, being able to snip through plating and use the dagger as a tool you can hide in your PDA or a clipboard would be hilariously great. I'd love if traitors could conceal items inside their person (swallowing, implanting, etc) so your awesome little e-dagger could maybe get you out of perma when you snip through the wall plating and slice up the girders.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112646

Luke Cox wrote:Make it do bonus damage if used from behind and I'm sold
What stops me instantly turning around and bashing someones brains in while they fail to backstab me?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112664

backstabbing is not really something i want to implement, because of how heading currently matters literally nowhere in spacemans and is pretty finnicky to control.
it's possible, but I doubt it would be good.

i've made a new PR with 2 TC and 18 brute, hopefully this is a bit more useful. link in a sec. https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11232
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #112767

On a vaguely related note, why is the throw command so fucking slow to respond on high ping connections ~250+?

When I try to use the throw hotkey it takes up to a full second before throw mode comes into effect. I've seen some people chain-throw a bunch of these e-daggers in little more than a second.
Mime: Depresso
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #112769

Oh why didn't you say it had boosted throwforce? 35 throw and 100% embed chance seems pretty rad.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #112781

when will coderbus implement hiding things in boots and sleeves so i can play a d7d rogue pls
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #112786

We already have hiding things in sleeves; they're called pockets. (Giving exosuits their own pocket slots would be good, though - like how Bay's labcoats or hazard vests can hold two items, and webbing can add more storage to jumpsuits.)

E: Suit storage. I knew there was something I missed.
Last edited by TheNightingale on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #112788

35 throw damage and 100% embed? Holy shit that's just throwing stars only good.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #112789

Why buy throwing stars when you can just buy 3 of these?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #112793

TheNightingale wrote:We already have hiding things in sleeves; they're called pockets. (Giving exosuits their own pocket slots would be good, though - like how Bay's labcoats or hazard vests can hold two items, and webbing can add more storage to jumpsuits.)
That already exists, it's suit storage.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #112798

Being able to hide weapons or objects in clothes would be neat, though it'd have to eb reserved for certain objects. We don't want people walking around carrying singletank bombs in their jumpsuits now do we?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #112821

No, but TTVs would be okay.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112900

Anonmare wrote:Being able to hide weapons or objects in clothes would be neat, though it'd have to eb reserved for certain objects. We don't want people walking around carrying singletank bombs in their jumpsuits now do we?
I think existing pocket code would be used anyway, it makes no sense if your suit pocket can carry something but your same-size vest pocket couldn't do the exact same thing.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #112932

Could make them into energy "scalpels" ie, twist the pen, energy blade appears. This would prevent meta if you made the weapon DNA lockable.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #112933

Fuck no. People went crazy when it was suggested Security be given locked weapons. No way traitors should get them.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112966

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Why buy throwing stars when you can just buy 3 of these?
Buff throwing stars for 100% embed.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #112967

Alex Crimson wrote:Fuck no. People went crazy when it was suggested Security be given locked weapons. No way traitors should get them.
But Security CAN have locked weapons via Loyalty Implants. Anyway, I do not agree with weapons being stealth-locked to a Traitor. Disguised utility items and armor are fine in my book, but all weapons should be at least test-able in some manner. Even now, some Traitor items can be revealed in destructive analyzer machine in Science.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112971

Gun Hog wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Fuck no. People went crazy when it was suggested Security be given locked weapons. No way traitors should get them.
But Security CAN have locked weapons via Loyalty Implants. Anyway, I do not agree with weapons being stealth-locked to a Traitor. Disguised utility items and armor are fine in my book, but all weapons should be at least test-able in some manner. Even now, some Traitor items can be revealed in destructive analyzer machine in Science.
They can have them but they are locked away behind science, they don't get made very often because reasons, they also don't start with them.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #113145

Practice Laser in sec should start loyalty pinned just for shits and giggles.