Default Lethal Weapons for Security

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: Default Lethal Weapons for Security

Post by Cheimon » #113528

Bottom post of the previous page:

Pistol with 12 brute damage won't be any good if it can't even kill a person with a full clip. That's useless against demons, wizards, constructs, all that (especially if, like we're suggesting, it doesn't have stamina damage).

Riot shotguns full up with slugs seems like by far the best idea so far. Buckshot is pretty crap at range unless you really want to up your friendly fire, whereas slugs actually do enough damage to be worth considering. They're slightly fiddly to use, so not as good as a revolver, and gating it behind code red will mean they're not available immediately.

Making code red more useful will make antags more interested in stealth. It's not going to be called for a few husked bodies, but it will be called if half the station's dead. That sort of thing.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #113530

Kor wrote:There are a growing number of threats to the station that a basic security officer is simply useless against. Constructs, morphs, demons, mechs, wizards, ninjas, xenomorphs, abductors, certain nuke loadouts, etc are either immune to stuns or easily able to escape them.

The handful of weapons meant to counter these things are in the armory, and are often stolen by the time thr threat is apparent, leaving the people supposedly armed to defend the station trying to beat a mauler to death with a baton.

Would a lethal sidearm for security officers be a terrible idea?
Or you could make fewer of those things stun immune. That sounds way easier to me. Of those, literally only ninjas, abductors, wizards, and MAYBE morphs have any excuse for being stun immune.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #113531

Not to mention it takes more effort to call Red Alert considering it requires two heads of staff to swipe for it, meaning you have to get enough of the command staff worried to get it called.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113536

Cheimon wrote:Pistol with 12 brute damage won't be any good if it can't even kill a person with a full clip. That's useless against demons, wizards, constructs, all that (especially if, like we're suggesting, it doesn't have stamina damage).

Riot shotguns full up with slugs seems like by far the best idea so far. Buckshot is pretty crap at range unless you really want to up your friendly fire, whereas slugs actually do enough damage to be worth considering. They're slightly fiddly to use, so not as good as a revolver, and gating it behind code red will mean they're not available immediately.

Making code red more useful will make antags more interested in stealth. It's not going to be called for a few husked bodies, but it will be called if half the station's dead. That sort of thing.
Well we already have Riot Shotguns and can order those.

This is more as a default weapon that officers spawn with I believe?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #113544

Steelpoint wrote:A Energy lethal firearm can work if its damage is buffed, but good luck getting that past coder bus. I had to fight tooth and nail just to get the Laser Gun to hold 12 rounds instead of 10.
Don't they currently still hold only 10 shots?

The laser gun is so bad that its only real use versus humans is to finish off people that already got stunned some other way.

If there is one weapon that needs a buff on the station its the laser gun. But good luck getting a PR that addresses balance to be accepted.
Last edited by CPTANT on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #113545

Honestly I don't think it would be terrible to buff the Laser Gun to deal 30-35 Damage per round simply due to the many counters to Laser Weapons antags have access to.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113548

Steelpoint wrote:Honestly I don't think it would be terrible to buff the Laser Gun to deal 30-35 Damage per round simply due to the many counters to Laser Weapons antags have access to.
For most of those antagonists aren't lasers pretty much completely ineffective anyway due to block/reflect?
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #113549

Adding default lethals would go a long way into making playing security not utterly horrible

But yeah, they have to projectile based or there is no point
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #113550

Steelpoint wrote:Honestly I don't think it would be terrible to buff the Laser Gun to deal 30-35 Damage per round simply due to the many counters to Laser Weapons antags have access to.
I would set damage to 25 and increase the shots they hold to around 14.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #113569

I'm telling you, please don't do a projectile-based STANDARD sidearm. It'd utterly fuck the balance of the game, it'd become unplayable for weeks.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #113571

How about this.

Replace the Standard Taser with a unique hybrid Taser/Pistol.

Essentially its a gun that has Disable, Stun and Bullets in a separate magazine. However the bullets can only be used in red alert so under normal circumstances officers will only have access to Stun rounds.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #113572

I am all for sec having lethals on red alert. The red alert scan would not be so bad if the possible time between card swipes was not so tiny. Maybe raise it to a minute?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #113577

Hell fuck no steelpoint

Shotgun cases still true best solution
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113580

Stickymayhem wrote:Hell fuck no steelpoint

They're unwieldy as fuck, and by the time code red happens and people get recalled at least a few officers are going to have been killed.

If they didn't have to be pumped after every shot, Maybe.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #113581

Wyzack wrote:I am all for sec having lethals on red alert. The red alert scan would not be so bad if the possible time between card swipes was not so tiny. Maybe raise it to a minute?
I think the idea behind the short timer us so you can't swipe in the caps office and run to the bridge and swipe there
bumping up the time window to like ten seconds wouldn't be bad though

shotguns aren't unwieldy at all dude use hotkeys
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113582

whodaloo wrote:
Wyzack wrote:I am all for sec having lethals on red alert. The red alert scan would not be so bad if the possible time between card swipes was not so tiny. Maybe raise it to a minute?
I think the idea behind the short timer us so you can't swipe in the caps office and run to the bridge and swipe there
bumping up the time window to like ten seconds wouldn't be bad though

shotguns aren't unwieldy at all dude use hotkeys
I do, Half the time I have to key mash for it to pick up on the hotkey. Especially the throw hotkey.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #113583

Ah, I see where you're going wrong. You're supposed to point the barrel end at someone and pull the trigger, not throw it at them.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113584

TheNightingale wrote:Ah, I see where you're going wrong. You're supposed to point the barrel end at someone and pull the trigger, not throw it at them.
Cute, I think it's a known issue though.

Some hotkeys straight up are not reliable.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #113585

I just tie a unique hotkey to the spacebar that pumps my shotgun.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #113586

Z is use item in hands with default hotkeys.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113588

Lumbermancer wrote:Z is use item in hands with default hotkeys.
I've tried rebinding it, regardless I have to mash it for it to actually take effect eventually. I don't seem to have this issue with other hotkeys.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #113636

I think it'd be cool to add the combat shotgun thing for one, shotguns are unwieldy for normal security situations so you won't see officers running around with them, just make the weapons with a loyalty pin/tracker added/alarm system locked in a case so that antags still have to breech the armory or at least take a huge, huge risk breaking into department sec for them.

Second, it'd also be cool to add one or two (very large pop rounds) of the security staff to instead spawn as a special response officer (requiring the same time on server as a HOS player) equipped with lethal weaponry and better equipment.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #113663

Amelius wrote: 2. Easily spammable down corridors, no longer can a traitor simply outrun taser shots or be safe offscreen because every officer has a gigantic 'fuck you' pistol.
Not really. You spam the shit out of a disabler or taser down a hallway people just get knocked down or slowed for a moment. Spam the shit out of a lethal gun in a hallway and people get injured or killed and now you're facing a lynching by the crew or possibly a job ban for getting innocent people killed with your stupidity
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113729

Well no. Giving all of sec access to slightly worse revolvers that nobody but them has any chance of getting access to in a million years would FUCK the balance of the game. It WILL be like macrobomb week except it'll take 5x more time to fix. I can guarantee you 100% that Ops would be almost impossible to win even without any flukes, wizards will get instantly shrekt the second they teleport in, traitors will get btfo'd instantly through a taser shot and subsequent shotgun shots gained through the free cargo access security has via department guard.

But lings. Lings would be FUCKED
Lings HAVE NO RANGED STUN and since EMP screech ONLY DISABLES ENERGY WEAPONS they would pop armblade, pop screech, get stunned, fleshmend, then get instantly shrekt by a shotgun because they literally cannot defend against ballistics. Shotguns would absolutely kill this game, even if to get them the shotguns would require red alert. Sec WILL get violent and WILL cause problems by either flat out attacking heads who don't swipe, or even just intimidating them/demoting them for not swiping. As I said before, the AI would also get absolutely fucking destroyed consistently, all borgs blown, and it carded and wiped because of it objecting to the egregious harm that is shotguns. Use of robocop would skyrocket, as would ahelps against security. Give them stetchkins or energy pistols at the very most.

If they were given stechkins, as I said earlier, many antagonists would NEED to be buffed to accomodate the increased number of ballistic weapons. Lings would need a way to deal with ballistics, wizards might need a bullet buff on their hardsuit but would otherwise be perfectly fine, traitors would need an item that protects against bullets that is relatively cheap, and Ops would also need bullet resistance buffs on their armor and an increased block chance of about 5% on their energy shield.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #113737

Cheimon wrote:Pistol with 12 brute damage won't be any good if it can't even kill a person with a full clip. That's useless against demons, wizards, constructs, all that (especially if, like we're suggesting, it doesn't have stamina damage).
the idea is that there is more than one security officer
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #113739

Zilenan91 wrote:Lings HAVE NO RANGED STUN and since EMP screech ONLY DISABLES ENERGY WEAPONS they would pop armblade, pop screech, get stunned, fleshmend, then get instantly shrekt by a shotgun because they literally cannot defend against ballistics.
It's almost as if Ligs are supposed to use subterfuge to pick fights on their own terms. And somehow removing the shotguns from this equation, which would result in death of ling's target, is balanced.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #113745

Lumbermancer wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Lings HAVE NO RANGED STUN and since EMP screech ONLY DISABLES ENERGY WEAPONS they would pop armblade, pop screech, get stunned, fleshmend, then get instantly shrekt by a shotgun because they literally cannot defend against ballistics.
It's almost as if Ligs are supposed to use subterfuge to pick fights on their own terms. And somehow removing the shotguns from this equation, which would result in death of ling's target, is balanced.
I'm... not even sure what you're saying here. Also everything the lings have is tailored around going loud, armblades, bioarmor, fleshmend, engorgeds, and whatever else for utility.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #113750

I could get behind the HoS or armory having a single lethal ballistic weapon for emergency situations.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113757

What if you can't code red though?

What if Revs control the bridge and you need the lethals?

If anything gets added it should be a sidearm that all officers spawn with rather than gated shit stored in the Armory because that's just as stupid and inconvenience as the current system.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #113764

Zilenan91 wrote:I'm... not even sure what you're saying here. Also everything the lings have is tailored around going loud, armblades, bioarmor, fleshmend, engorgeds, and whatever else for utility.
Does it matter? You are changling. Literally the Thing. Stealth first, fight is last resort. And recently there has been push for more stealth, since Changelings now transform with clothes, and have stealth and shit.
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #113767

i'd be down for like a week of all the hybrid tasers on box being replaced with m1911s or glocks or something
because i think it'd be fucking funny
i love public logs
Spoiler:

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #113808

so I spawned m1911s for sec in a previous round. They're essentially 8 shot, reloadable lasers that bypass eshields and eswords but still get rekt by tasers and still get stolen by traitors.

I might do this a few more times.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #113810

m1911's do like, 20 brute + 50 stam. They're basically detective revolvers without the stun.
They shoot the same bullet as the c20r.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #113819

We should remove the captain's egun, and give him a ballistic handgun instead.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113821

I like the idea of M1911s as a default side arm choice.

Perhaps let Security Officers at round start decide which sidearm they want. The taser or the M1911.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #113842

What goals would lethal (option?) security have? It seems like the only gain is quicker field executions, which is fine, but frankly there are better ways to do that.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113844

It would also mean secborgs could have a fuckton of fun out there arresting fellow officers.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #113860

M1911s might do too much stamina damage to be fair.

I'm also wondering if sec equipment should be tied to population or round probabilities. If lethals are implemented, maybe they should only be issued in rounds where there is a full selection of roundtypes to choose from.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #113861

Tornadium wrote:

They're unwieldy as fuck, and by the time code red happens and people get recalled at least a few officers are going to have been killed.

If they didn't have to be pumped after every shot, Maybe.
We aren't trying to prevent security officers ever being killed Jesus fucking christ.

We are throwing in OPTIONS to make the game more interesting.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113927

The issue is they are already easy pickings for a single Traitor on his own. The element of surprise in this game > everything.

My point is having this limited to code red puts Sec in an awful position where you have to have the capability to declare code red in order to actually use the weapons required to combat legitimate threats.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #113980

Tornadium wrote:The issue is they are already easy pickings for a single Traitor on his own. The element of surprise in this game > everything.

My point is having this limited to code red puts Sec in an awful position where you have to have the capability to declare code red in order to actually use the weapons required to combat legitimate threats.
Makes plenty of sense to me.

The point of security is that they are well armed, have an organized team and don't have to be subtle. The consequence is their entire team being unwieldy and adhering to what are basically arbitrary rules. This fits in with that perfectly.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113985

Stickymayhem wrote:
Tornadium wrote:The issue is they are already easy pickings for a single Traitor on his own. The element of surprise in this game > everything.

Makes plenty of sense to me.

The point of security is that they are well armed, have an organized team and don't have to be subtle. The consequence is their entire team being unwieldy and adhering to what are basically arbitrary rules. This fits in with that perfectly.
I would disagree, lets take Ops as a case study. Those lethals would be extremely helpful to security, by the time most Ops are even called out they're already attacking and going for the Captain. So not only do you have to organize the code red, you have to assemble officers and actually hand out weapons.

That is an extremely slow process and the response time makes it pretty much useless against a competent team.

How many places can you elevate to code red from? I know you can do it from Sec and from the bridge, are there any other locations? Cause if one gets bombed you're fucked.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #113986

Theres a keycard swiper in every head's office, as well as one of the bridge.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113987

Malkevin wrote:Theres a keycard swiper in every head's office, as well as one of the bridge.
That's not too bad then, However it does require two heads to swipe at the same time am I right?

Meaning for security to be even remotely effective combating any kind of threat where those weapons are needed (see: all of them) you're reliant on non-security personel.

I feel that's kinda shitty with the amount of nerfs they've already gotten and how many buffs antags have.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #113990

Yes, they need to swipe and they need to swipe at around the same time - so if comms are out, as is standard in most nuke op rounds, thats not going to happen.
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #113995

eh if you can get the cap + a head you can swipe with the cap's office + the bridge swiper pretty easily

i think the real problem is the swiping interface is awful and if you fail the swipe you have to click through it again, it's just ass to use

(also some heads are so unrobust they don't know how to swipe but that's another matter entirely)
i love public logs
Spoiler:

Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113997

whodaloo wrote:eh if you can get the cap + a head you can swipe with the cap's office + the bridge swiper pretty easily

i think the real problem is the swiping interface is awful and if you fail the swipe you have to click through it again, it's just ass to use

(also some heads are so unrobust they don't know how to swipe but that's another matter entirely)
That's assuming you can spare the manpower to secure the bridge so you can then go back to the armory.
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #114000

why would you have to pass out the weapons, the idea is that they're in each department so you don't have to cluster in the armory
i love public logs
Spoiler:

Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114001

whodaloo wrote:why would you have to pass out the weapons, the idea is that they're in each department so you don't have to cluster in the armory
Well shit they're super vulnerable.

You're practically giving revs/cultists/whatever weapons in the department Sec don't control. It will become meta as soon as code red is triggered for the medbay/science/engineering/cargo checkpoint to be broken into in a flash.

Put them in Security, maybe not Armory but god no to department sec positions.
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #114002

but you wouldn't be able to get them out unless it was a code red aaaaaaaaaaaagh
i love public logs
Spoiler:

Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114003

whodaloo wrote:but you wouldn't be able to get them out unless it was a code red aaaaaaaaaaaagh
Read what I said, As soon as Code Red gets dropped the Departments not in Security control are going to get looted.

The idea is to give Security the means to fight back, not nerf them further and give Antagonists free gear.