[Nuke Ops] Option to Play Syndiborg When Purchased

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

[Nuke Ops] Option to Play Syndiborg When Purchased

Post by Sweaterkittens » #118659

Exactly what it says on the tin.

It's a shame that you have to be observing to ever have a chance to play Syndicate Cyborg. I propose simply that when you order the Syndicate Cyborg teleporter, you're given the option to inhabit the borg yourself and grab an observer to be an operative, or to simply grab an observer to fill the borg (as it is currently). This shouldn't raise any balance concerns as it doesn't functionally change what you're getting for your TC. It would just allow those who want to or are experienced with silicons to play them instead of just crossing your fingers and getting someone random from the Observers.

I'm not a coder so I don't know what the easiest way to implement this would be - whether the operative you're currently playing disappears and an entirely new one is created for a ghost to occupy, or whether your control is simply transferred from your own body to the cyborgs and a ghost inhabits your old body. Or perhaps some other method. I tried to come up with the most simple means of execution as possible, as this is merely a "quality of life" request for change rather than an actual balance or play style change to Nuke Ops.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and whether this would be simple enough to implement.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Re: [Nuke Ops] Option to Play Syndiborg When Purchased

Post by whodaloo » #118669

fucking silicon players lmao
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #118673

Turn the Syndi Borg into a heavy duty power armour that's the same thing but does not make a new Op player.

I think barring extreme high pop that one of the biggest reasons why Ops have such a high win rate from 20 to 50 players is that there's too many Op players. Being able to guy a new team mate really compounds the issue.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #118688

For best results, buy 3 syndieborgs... And hope they don't all fail
But power armor sounds cool, make it energy armor 100 and all sources 80%.. And have a HUGE slowdown.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #118690

@Steelpoint/Kevinz, that's a good idea, but outside of the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread. Game balance is a whole separate ball game, I just want a small change that allows you OR a ghost to play the syndiborg. The power armor idea sounds cool, but a balance change to the mechanic itself deserves a its own thread.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #118692

Steelpoint wrote:Turn the Syndi Borg into a heavy duty power armour that's the same thing but does not make a new Op player.
You mean a mech?
Players can and will create their own fun.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #118698

I think Sweater has a good idea in this one. It also ameliorates steelpoint's input about imbalance occurring from being able to add a team member (or two)
Last edited by Atticat on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #118704

They're supposed to be unbalanced. They're a NUCLEAR MILITARY SQUAD. 8 of them, if you buy borgs, versus the bloodthirsty, valid salad seeking crew that can be up to 70 people.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #118705

Except the balance is too out of whack.

Under 50 people and the Ops have between a 80% to a 100% victory rate, over 50 people and Ops have under a 20% win rate.

I think its somewhat to do with Sec effectiveness, but really its far more to do with the fact that Op population does not scale. Meaning you get a overabundance of Ops on low pop and very few Ops on high pop.

Generally Ops lose when they run out of ammo, they can only kill so many people before they slip up. Its just that on low pop there's not many bodies to chew through versus high pop.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #118706

How about an implant that when put in eliminates the explosive implant and when the op dies (or activates it) they gib on the spot and come out as a cyborg. Call it combat nanites as a callback.

Also why don't ops pop scale members anymore? We used to have that dammit. Bring that back or give it a higher population requirement unlike blob which we treat like a live bomb and gate off at increments of 30 ops turns more people into antags reducing the loyalist population.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #118735

No to all of these ideas.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118748

I am curious why you think ops scaling to station pop is at all a bad thing.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #118846

Scott wrote:No to all of these ideas.
My idea as a replacement would at least have the borgs coming out of the op pool instead of coexisting at the same time at the operative.

Not that we need a replacement I can understand if your like being killed I share that view.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #119051

I feel as though this may have gone a little off the rails. Again, this is merely a request to have the option to make Person A = Syndiborg and Person B = Operative instead of the normal Person A = Operative and Person B = Syndiborg. This isn't a change to balance at all, just who is playing what.

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with having nuke ops scaling, and possibly the idea of syndiborgs swapping out a team member instead of granting you a new one - but a discussion of balance is a long, arduous road that oftentimes ends in nothing happening. I'd just really like to avoid all that and keep this as a simple quality-of-life improvement for Nukeops (and silicon players).
ImageImage
Spoiler:
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124693

im not really sure why nobody ever said anything about the auctual op topic but i agree.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #124760

The idea for power armor is too good, but syndicate borgs are too essential to not take. Them killing the AI is so huge it's stupid.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #124893

Zilenan91 wrote:The idea for power armor is too good, but syndicate borgs are too essential to not take. Them killing the AI is so huge it's stupid.
Syndiborgs getting a completely uncounterable kill on the AI is completely retarded and is the main reason syndiborg is so popular.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124918

i dont even see how a team of heavily armed ops can have trouble killing the ai.

A syndieborg should be a heavy weapons platform first a way to control station systems second and a way to kill the ai 4th
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #124920

I still think the Syndi Borg should be replaced with a powered combat suit that has to be worn by a Nuke Op, essentially a heavy weapons platform onto itself that's half man/half cyborg.

It would also remove the balance issue of Ops getting another team member, also doing this would greatly discourage sending the power suit off to kill the AI simply because instead of buying a sixth team member to throw off towards the AI now you still have to commit someone, now wearing a expensive piece of equipment, to do the deed.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #124947

It's never been "hard" to kill the AI. You could always just bomb the shit out of it and be good, but that requires a ton of investment and leaves the AI a ton of room to scream Ops, whereupon the disk will immediately retreat into the HoS' rectum and never be able to be scraped out by even the highest quality of energy swords.

But yeah I don't give a shit about Ops getting a 6th member. If people removed syndicate borg but still made it so that the Ops had a good way to kill the AI, I'd be all for it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #125130

Zilenan91 wrote:It's never been "hard" to kill the AI. You could always just bomb the shit out of it and be good, but that requires a ton of investment and leaves the AI a ton of room to scream Ops, whereupon the disk will immediately retreat into the HoS' rectum and never be able to be scraped out by even the highest quality of energy swords.

But yeah I don't give a shit about Ops getting a 6th member. If people removed syndicate borg but still made it so that the Ops had a good way to kill the AI, I'd be all for it.
Syndicate borgs also get called out half the time. Just hit telecomms right before killing the ai and it will have a lot more trouble calling out in time.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125131

Or turn off the APC, maybe.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #125139

There is absolutely no reason to /not/ take the syndieborg if you want the best chance of winning. The meta is stale and boring imo. The advantages are massive. More team members, grenade launchers, emag, lasers, and a near guarenteed AI death along with control of all station doors. At this point I'd rather every nuke op team automatically start with a syndieborg

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125161

maybe just give them a 5 second delay on all interaction with station systems.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #125166

It's still balanced. We have autorifles for any threat security may find themselves against. Just another player that can't be disarmed and we want them removed? Just whip out your SMGs, already do that for any little thing, just light them up. Go ahead and spray away, you'll kill something eventually, you have plenty of ammo and space to store it. Also have nice little armor vest AND helmet that oddly enough counters against bullets specifically, which are the bread and butter of Nuke Ops, a highly trained military nuclear strike team. It's a good thing the playing field is even now, with giving such a large arsenel of weapons to what is essentially a bunch of mallcops who have gear for any fathomable situation. Did I mention a horde of toolbox-toting pawns wearing grey jumpsuits at their waist, charging at any threat without fear of dying and can take them all out with a simple disarm?

Syndiborgs, just 1 extra player, and we are upset that they can be robust and useful sometimes?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #125167

Fragnostic wrote:It's still balanced. We have autorifles for any threat security may find themselves against. Just another player that can't be disarmed and we want them removed? Just whip out your SMGs, already do that for any little thing, just light them up. Go ahead and spray away, you'll kill something eventually, you have plenty of ammo and space to store it. Also have nice little armor vest AND helmet that oddly enough counters against bullets specifically, which are the bread and butter of Nuke Ops, a highly trained military nuclear strike team. It's a good thing the playing field is even now, with giving such a large arsenel of weapons to what is essentially a bunch of mallcops who have gear for any fathomable situation. Did I mention a horde of toolbox-toting pawns wearing grey jumpsuits at their waist, charging at any threat without fear of dying and can take them all out with a simple disarm?

Syndiborgs, just 1 extra player, and we are upset that they can be robust and useful sometimes?
Armory no longer has autorifles and bulletproof armour covers a maximum of 1/3 of the body and the helmet provides only half the protection that the vest does (if that hasnt been buffed again).

Anyway the complaint about Syndiborgs is that it is a no-brainer to take one. It is just WAY better than anything else you can buy, making nuke ops playstyles boring. Would be nice to sometimes see something....you know...OTHER than ops taking a syndiborg.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125170

Fragnostic I think your a fucking retard and a moron, considering your spouting not only out of date but factually incorrect information.

Of course my hostile introduction will result in you posting a just as hostile response most likely, if at all.

Firstly the Auto Rifles were removed from the armoury, though you may have missed that due to the frothing around your mouth obscuring your vision.

Secondly the rifles deal less damage to Ops than Lasers (10 to 14) and I had removed the excess magazines from the armoury prior to their removal, meaning you only had the mag in your gun to fire before you ran out of ammo. In addition more ammo cost around 30 to 40 points from cargo AND more mags from RnD were very expensive AND you could not get compatiable ammo from a hacked auto lathe due to the ammo being of a different kind (not 9mm).

Furthermore bulletproof armour was removed as well, but is being readded, again something you may have failed to notice during your rant.

Finally Nuke Op win rates are at a solid 51% win rate on all (read all(barring the three rounds with more than 80 people) population levels around the same time my auto rifle PR was merged. While I will not state my rifle PR did that by itself I will say that Nuke Ops are neither losing nor winning too much in any capacity currently, which is better than the pre-rifle 80% win rate.

In conclusion, get your information straight before you spout shit.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125171

well stealth ops dont take them but fuck stealth ops.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125172

I should note in advance, and being off topic, that the 9mm and similar changes would come up in a subsequent change which I still do intent to push since the Rifles are still in the game but are cargo only.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125177

Steelpoint wrote: Firstly the Auto Rifles were removed from the armoury, though you may have missed that due to the frothing around your mouth obscuring your vision.
well to be fair i dident notice either because i got so sick of watching the armory being slowly ruined i stoped playing warden and following the prs.

Also jesus fuck he dident even say anything that bad whats got you so shitty
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125178

I am annoyed because he's spouting misinformation about the Rifles and I'm tired of going over the rifles over and over again on how they truly function.

I swear people intentionally try and spread misinformation about the rifles just to get more people to dislike them.

But again I'm going off topic.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125332

you really just need to accept people were against the rifles even i who liked the idea hated what they did to the armory.

But it doesent matter because the rifles are not what his post was really about.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125336

Some people were.

But here's the big shocker! Just as many people liked the rifles!

Which I proved with the in game poll that attracted over 120 votes.
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #125343

Steelpoint, you mindless fuckwit, shut the fuck up.
You really think I care about Syndiborgs at all?
God of course you would, you failed fucking abortion. Look at you, you invest so much time and effort to enhance your playing experience and others as well and it all goes in the fucking bin. And you know what I do? Faff around in the forums and OOC and talk shit about your pro-sec PRs until they get nerfed or reverted. All because of people like me making little splashes that will eventually garner enough attention and cause kneejerk changes in policy. Didn't have to learn to code, didn't have to do anything hard or complicated, just clack away on my keyboard and kick over your sandcastle. Shit is so cash. I didn't even know it was reverted until now. Thanks for the heads up, Steelshit. Glad to know you shat your plus-sized gym shorts over my work. I'll see you next time you try contributing. Funny enough, I actually sorta liked autorifles, it was sort of a buff to antags, too. But fuck hard-counters to specific antags and fuck your sec buffs and fuck you.

Syndiborgs are underpowered as they are, with a pseudo-LMG, and the same weaknesses as borgs, while lacking the self-termination option that Nuke Ops have. Why can't they blow themselves? No explosive implants? After being disabled, they become the station's weapon.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #125344

Haha god this is emotionally charged
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #125345

>syndiborgs are underpowered

The mad is blinding his eyes
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125348

look out everybody we got a badass over here
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125350

Auto Rifles were my only really reverted change, but I digress.

Also if you really think Syndi Borgs are underpowered then you really are crazy.
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #125352

Steelpoint wrote:Auto Rifles were my only really reverted change
More work, eh? Sounds like a job for Fragnostic the Vocal Minority!
Zilenan91 wrote:look out everybody we got a badass over here
nuuu I'm a good boy, I swear. He wanted a hostile response, I gave him one.
Wyzack wrote:The mad is blinding his eyes
le ebik buttrage maymay xDDD :D fugg
go shove a detectives revolver up your ass as soon as ERP is allowed, my god you love sec and detective

Section dedicated to keeping post relevant and on-topic:
Syndiborgs face the same problem Nuke Ops face with their guns. Lose them and they can be used against them. All that is cool, but a flash and/or ion rifle and hat thing is hunting ops.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125353

If you've got to a point where the crew can reliably cart a Syndi borg off to Robotics to be converted then odds are the Ops have either already set up the bomb or are all dead.

A Syndi Borg is not, and should not, be a one man army. Since a simple flash, flashbang or ion rounds will ruin its day.

Edit: Also Auto Rifles are likely my most, or second most, controversial addition to the game. The other being the HoS Laser, but at that point people realised it was still a weaker varient to the older energy guns the HoS started with.
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #125393

Steelpoint wrote:The other being the HoS Laser
Buuut boss, I'm backed up as it is! God, I'm flooded in work! Do you have any idea how much effort and risk I have to go through? A lot of resources I have to invest, y'know.

And that's implying that always happens, as far as when a Syndiborg is repurposed, that the threat is over. You're suggesting it's a given, as if it were a part of them gamemode as opposed to a possibility.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125401

Fragnostic wrote:Why can't they blow themselves?
They're cyborgs, they can't bend down like that.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125438

im pretty sure when he said syndiborgs were underpowered he meant in combat not in ai killing i dont really have enough expirence with them to coment on that i have never been in a nuke ops team with one i tend to be on the other side of the station when ops arrive and the only time i have ever been one was when i got staff of changed into one and that was at round end.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #125443

Holy shit this is some youtube comment level discourse.
Not even singulo gets this cancerous.
Fragnostic, I see what you're doing with your flippant 90s 'tude. Your whole "Well, I know I'm shitposting and I'm admitting to it so I'm not being a shitposter, I'm just being clever!" thing... It's just not as endearing as you think it is.

And don't say you aren't trying to be endearing. I know what you want.

You want to be a meme. You want to be the "Bryce Pax" of the forums. The guy who everyone loves because, despite his hostile and griffy disposition, they're too clever and funny to discount.
But you aint no Bryce, and you aint endearing.

Typing your shit like you think you're eloquent, like this is a movie, like we're in the climax and what you say is gonna break the enemy's spirit and make you win.

Even oranges can act like an adult sometimes.

EDIT: Oh, on topic, I don't see how a change like this could really be an issue, it's not like it changes mechanics or anything, and I doubt that we'd have issues with only having competent syndiborgs. People tend to overestimate their own competence.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #125450

More like demontruthbomb amirite
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #125511

DaemonBomb wrote:I didn't read the previous replies, I have no idea what you're doing, I wish Id said this before for effect and to this very moment am hoping for no reply at all
lol you're going in now because you think/fear that I'll become whatever the fuck you're going on about. Even I have no fucking clue what you're saying, maybe I have a thick goddamned skull and am genuinely retarded.But you're looking in way too deep for whatever intrinsic value you want to draw from this. You cold accomplish a "cease-fire of stupidity", if you will, with a simple "stop this shitposting Frag it's not funny". If you're claiming that I want to be a goddamned meme with buzzwords, at least don't aim to do the same thing. Fucking faggot, you thought I didn't see that #truthbomb rant format? That shit is so boiler plate, and trust me, I know. SAG and CA, all in one paragraph, if that shit doesn't mean anything to you, then miss me with a reply.

Back on topic, syndiborgs face the same nerf bulldog shotguns have. Their operative-specific pin can be extracted and replaced with a firing pin and used against the ops.
TheNightingale wrote:They're cyborgs, they can't bend down like that.
sick fuck, stop reminding them of their limitations. What does that have anything to do with blow-...Ohhhhh. Lewd.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #125567

i present to you: an image of this thread, made in ms paint by the one and only me
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125576

I'll put it up on the fridge.

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #125578

It's fucking weird that this thread is still open given how touchy the forum mods usually are.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125582

Should we just report fragnostic at this point
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: