Gang converting sec/snowballing

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Gang converting sec/snowballing

Post by CPTANT » #122271

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ikarrus wrote:Video Game development is hard and design by committee is a shit-producing nightmare.

Development works best with a clear direction given by a benevolent dictator (A director).

But you guys whine whenever you're given a direction you disagree with. So nobody bothers.

Nobody actually ever set a series of design goals for the game.

We have only had people trying to push the game into a certain direction without ever correctly relating it to long term goals.

A lot of the controversial (read: plain nonsensical) changes such as Goofchem, the Nuke ops locked suits or macro bombs failed so hard exactly because they did not have clear goals in mind or actually worked against the stated goals.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #122273

The last time Cheridan tried to provide major direction (ruling on armor) you accused him of bring political, got in a fight with him/got banned, and then started undoing the armor changes anyways as part of other PRs after he explicitly told you no.

We don't have design by committee so much as design by sheer stubbornness.

I hope you see the irony in lamenting a lack of direction/leadership.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #122275

Kor wrote:The last time Cheridan tried to provide major direction (ruling on armor) you accused him of bring political, got in a fight with him/got banned, and then started undoing the armor changes anyways as part of other PRs after he explicitly told you no.

The only armour values I reverted AFTER our conversation on IRC was the Death Squad PR that was more for balancing to remove the Nanite Injector.

If Cheridan flatly stated that he wants the game to go in X direction, I'll piss and moan about it (if I disagree) but I won't put up dozens of revert PR's.

The problem is that he has not done that, he just rarely puts up a massive balance PR with little clear goal.

There is no preset plans, no design documents or discussions, its off the hook changes with little real pre-thought.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #122277

On the topic of stun combat, one of the main reasons I ever supported the pistol PR in the first place was because it removed most tasers. I believed and still do believe that tasers are the single worst part and offender about this games combat. They trivialize all combat encounters to clicking on a dude once and it just being over, with memes like adrenals or whatever lings use these days not exactly doing anything to fix it, but instead mitigate it and further building off of what was badly designed in the first place to make it more bearable.

The pistols, on the other hand, gave actual tension to combat. There was no walking out of maint and getting instantly GGNORE'd by somebody, you had time to react to it, and process how to stop yourself from getting downed by them or even fight back. There is no tension with tasers. You get clicked once, you get cuffed, and it's over. The pistols were great. That's why I supported them so heartily, and I truly think the only reason that the test for them failed is because of pettiness towards Steelpoint and unwillingness of the playerbase to change. They would have taken a huge step to finally getting rid of stun combat.

On the other hand, the other problem our combat system has is that it lacks depth. By depth I don't mean types of weapons you can shoot at people, or where you can shoot them at, but how little consequence there is to getting your chest riddled with bullets aside from a horrible death. A more advanced medical system would do wonders for the game, but Cheridan just doesn't seem like he wants to organize something like that. And so we stagnate.
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #122279

Kor wrote:The last time Cheridan tried to provide major direction (ruling on armor) you accused him of bring political, got in a fight with him/got banned, and then started undoing the armor changes anyways as part of other PRs after he explicitly told you no.

This was in no way related to any design goals. It was a direct response of "Weapon X is not good enough vs Y, thus nerf Y".

We have NEVER had anyone come up with design goals with a direction for the game to go.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #122280

Responding to Zil but if you want to make stuns less powerful you should look to Goon's tasers, in their game Tasers need two hits to stun and the only one-hit stuns on offer are either melee or antagonist (Magic Missile, or Ling Parasting).

If I could I would look at making Tasers a two shot stun, but I digress.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #122281

The pistols were 2 shot stuns. That's why I supported them, and it's why they were so good.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #122286

Zilenan91 wrote:The pistols were 2 shot stuns. That's why I supported them, and it's why they were so good.
However, they were bullets, which is why people hated them.

If they'd been recharging-mag energy weapons with a 2-hit stun, then they'd have been pretty much an automerge, but steelpoint insisted that they had to be projectile weapons, and therefore they weren't merged.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #122294

I could see there being energy pistols with two kinds of powerpacks, lethal charge, and nonlethal being a thing which could happen. Literally energy version of the bay pistols like there were before.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #122301

Steelpoint wrote:Responding to Zil but if you want to make stuns less powerful you should look to Goon's tasers, in their game Tasers need two hits to stun and the only one-hit stuns on offer are either melee or antagonist (Magic Missile, or Ling Parasting).

If I could I would look at making Tasers a two shot stun, but I digress.
Not a fair comparison given that their lethals do multitudes more damage than ours.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #122333

Sounds like they found a middle ground of making both quite effective but not instantly so. Instead of the abomination that was the original dissabler concept of making non lethals almost as much effort as lasering a guy down with piss lasers if not more considering cuffs.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #122334

Incomptinence wrote:Sounds like they found a middle ground of making both quite effective but not instantly so. Instead of the abomination that was the original dissabler concept of making non lethals almost as much effort as lasering a guy down with piss lasers if not more.
This just highlights how much lasers suck.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #122342

I did call them piss.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #122343

I mean, in real life, it's probably a lot easier for cops to just shoot all criminals but they don't do it because it's inhumane. The nonlethal route will be inherently harder.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #122416

Zilenan91 wrote:Then nerf slips. The reason everything else was nerfed is because stuns are uninteractive and shit. It's the slow removal of stun combat in action.
or we could un-nerf the other things so that we don't continue the reverse powercreep
if you nerf slips, people will eventually start using the next most powerful stun, and then that will get nerfed
and then they will move on to the next, which will also get nerfed
until eventually there are no stuns and death gets removed for being unbalanced and ss13 gets nerfed to not have any servers
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #122424

Except all that entire chain of events is is just the perpetuation of stun combat. The slow nerfing of all of these uninteractive elements in our combat system will eventually push lethals into a place where they will be more viable than stuns are. Irregardless, stun combat will never go unless we have a more advanced medical system, but this is a step in the right direction.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #122489

We seem to be back at the odd point where people seem to want to be killed rather than arrested. A policy decision could deliver this decisively without the endless game of hunt the thing that stopped me, just let officers kill criminals on the spot.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #122512

Incomptinence wrote:We seem to be back at the odd point where people seem to want to be killed rather than arrested. A policy decision could deliver this decisively without the endless game of hunt the thing that stopped me, just let officers kill criminals on the spot.
If someone's resisting arrest and has a weapon, murder them to death. Sec were given more leeway lately.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕