Modular Armor

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Modular armor?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Yes, but if X is added
No votes
No, but i may change if X is added
No votes
Abstain
9%

Total votes: 11

John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Modular Armor

Post by John_Oxford » #121343

Before i bother trying to sprite/explain it in depth, i'l run a poll to see if it seems like a good idea to the rest of you.

In general, there will be 3 vests that spawn in the armory (More base vests and modular upgrades can be ordered from cargo, additional experimental plates [Energy/Biohazard] can be constructed in science.)

These vests have little to no protective value, except when a plate is added.
There are 6 kinds of basic damage protection plates, and 2 advanced, research based plates, each one built to withstand brute, burn, blast, aswell as energy and biohazard, respectively of course.
1 of each of the 3 kinds of basic plates spawn in the armory, next to the vests.

Security will be able to order more advanced modules/add-ons for the armor, anything from more plates, to inbuilt station bounced radios, flashlights, smoke dispersers, grenade holders, weight distribution systems (increases speed), color add ons, ranking emblems, tag emblems, department related emblems, additional body covering armor parts (Neck guards, groin covers, hood clip ons)

All of which can be ordered from cargo, so if cargo co-operates with security (and isn't completely over run by rev's), all above things can be ordered to supplement other team antag rounds (Xeno, Gang, ect ect) Additional, more advanced add-ons can be researched and created in science (Including syndicate gear, such as cloaking and stimulant injectors.

This can also be used with syndicates, who get even fancier more expensive shit for 1 tc to 3 tc, such as a time based cloaking system, EMP deployer, automatic stimulant injector / cyanide injector, wall breacher system, CS gas deployer, ect ect, you get the point, fancy expensive illegal shit in general.
no, its not like this is to make up for how gunsmithing failed, why would it?
Last edited by John_Oxford on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Modular Armor

Post by Gun Hog » #121344

Why not cargo for the common/bulk ones, and Science for the fancier, experimental ones with some risk involved?
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #121348

Gun Hog wrote:Why not cargo for the common/bulk ones, and Science for the fancier, experimental ones with some risk involved?
Good point, Cargo could buy more vests, aswell as enhanced versions of the normal burn brute and blast plates (Heavier bulkier versions) along with the neck guards/groin pads, ect ect.

Science could make some energy resistant and bio-hazard related things, aswell as some of the super fancy shit, such as CS and Smoke deployers.

It works, i'l edit the post.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #121428

I don't think neck guards and groin pads have much purpose. Nobody aims for the groin anyway, and the neck can't be aimed for at all. There are two upgrades to armour that are worth considering, and that is covering the arms and covering the legs. For everything else, there are helmets (and you can be sure that if there's a xeno it's a riot helmet you want, not a clip on hood).

Anyway, what's the point of this? Currently we have four types of armour: basic, which provides all round protection, riot, which provides melee protection, ablative, which provides energy protection (and is getting a helmet, apparently), and bulletproof/Tac, which provides the obvious thing. The current system is functionally modular. It's just that you switch chestpieces instead of fiddly little plates.

What does this achieve? Does it fix some element of gameplay? What are the advantages of this? How do you avoid this turning into a straightforward sec buff?
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #121450

Cheimon wrote:I don't think neck guards and groin pads have much purpose. Nobody aims for the groin anyway, and the neck can't be aimed for at all. There are two upgrades to armour that are worth considering, and that is covering the arms and covering the legs. For everything else, there are helmets (and you can be sure that if there's a xeno it's a riot helmet you want, not a clip on hood).

Anyway, what's the point of this? Currently we have four types of armour: basic, which provides all round protection, riot, which provides melee protection, ablative, which provides energy protection (and is getting a helmet, apparently), and bulletproof/Tac, which provides the obvious thing. The current system is functionally modular. It's just that you switch chestpieces instead of fiddly little plates.

What does this achieve? Does it fix some element of gameplay? What are the advantages of this? How do you avoid this turning into a straightforward sec buff?
Neck Guard's apply some what moderate resistantance from damage to the head, hince you can't aim for the neck.

Yes, there are 4 basic armor vests, but there's no modification potentional for them, in realavancy to all the other shit you could add-on to the vests, Adding plates woulden't just be the end all be all. All sorts of tactical combat based items could be added, from CS/Smoke gas dispersers, to oxygen systems(code wise, the same as a hardsuit) , to EMP deployers, to bandoliers for weapons and grenades, to camoflauge of all different types.

What i'm getting at, instead of making it where you can add fancy shit to each of the 4 vest types, you have one vest, in which you pick what kind of protection you want, and then add your fancy tactical shit to it.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank: