Suit Storage Units

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Suit Storage Units

Post by Ricotez » #123987

Title update to reflect that this thread is now more of a general discussion about SSUs

The SSUs have always bothered me. They are snowflakey, clunky, and no other form of storage uses buttons like that (I'm not counting vending machines because they are vending machines). Space suits are the ONLY suits in the game stored like that, all other special environment suits are stored in lockers (L2, L3 or L4). It's a bit better than before, when SSUs were only found in EVA, but it still bothers me.

Two years ago I made concepts for "L1" lockers to fit into the L2, L3, L4 encoding scheme for environment suits. These concepts haven't been updated since and are not final, but here are two previews that I think I also posted back then:

I can finish these up (especially the V in EVA needs some modifying so it looks less like a U), make versions for all the different departments and suits, and modify the code and maps so all suits are stored in L1 lockers instead of SSUs. But I'm not gonna do that if I'm the only one who is bothered by them. So please tell me if you agree that space suits should be stored in lockers like all other suits, or if you prefer the SSUs now that they are found all throughout the station.
Last edited by Ricotez on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Level 1 Lockers instead of Suit Storage Units

Post by CPTANT » #123988

Nah, you can emag EVA lockers and fry people in them.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123990

CPTANT wrote:Nah, you can emag EVA lockers and fry people in them.
You only need a screwdriver for that
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #123993

Suit Storage Units are far more interesting than boring little lockers. The only thing I would change about them would be the sprite set and the ability to have an ID lock.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #123998

They add flavor.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #124037

Nah, one tactic I use as AI is to fry the space suits with the help of an engiborg or two to make syphons more dangerous.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #124046

I prefer the suit storage, but I wouldn't mind new sprites for them.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #124052

I think they're much more interesting and functional than lockers. UV frying of suits (and any bodies you can fit in there) has already been mentioned, but there are other things too, like the fact that whether or not the suit's inside is already graphically represented in game (whereas you have to open lockers to find that stuff out). The fact that you also can't drag the lockers away is a good thing for keeping suits in place, since it makes them harder to steal (they're too big to fit in your hand otherwise). Then you can have things like locking them and hacking them. I think, snowflakey as it might seem, it does provide a lot more fun than a typical locker experience.

Not that I hugely care, I mean, fuck it, it's only a space suit container. Do what you want.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124071

SSUs are better just BECAUSE they are stupid snowflakey pieces of shit. Plus its not like I can roast Stickymayhem in a locker while he blares Space Asshole.mp3 at me.

Fucking lockers EVERYWHERE.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #124078

Nobody ever checks the storage compartment if the suit's already been taken.

It's perfect for hiding things.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #124081

Or people. I've hidden in the captain's office for fucking ages without being detected.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #124144

alright so general consensus right now is to keep the SSUs, so I'll invert my idea instead

what if ALL environment suits are stored in SSUs from now on? so also radsuits (L2), biosuits (L3) and bomb suits (L4)?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #124198

Ricotez wrote:alright so general consensus right now is to keep the SSUs, so I'll invert my idea instead

what if ALL environment suits are stored in SSUs from now on? so also radsuits (L2), biosuits (L3) and bomb suits (L4)?
I am fine with that. They just need more sprites.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #124214

spraking purely personally, i kinda like the divide where Obviously Space Worthy suits get the SSUs and the more normal esque-stuff just gets lockers.

although i guess if the new rad/bio/bomb suits got new sprites that were visually distinct it'd be aight
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #124279

the SSU sprites need a serious overhaul anyway, instead of using layers there's a separate sprite for every possible combination of factors so you have a true fuckton of sprites for them

also they are SUPPOSED to be semitransparent so you can see from the outside if something is inside of them but it's practically impossible to see that in-game because the effect is so subtle, so if I redo their sprites I will probably get rid of that or make it a bit more obvious
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #124388

Ricotez wrote:alright so general consensus right now is to keep the SSUs, so I'll invert my idea instead

Only issue with this is that you can't walk through /move an ssu like an open locker. Might cause some space/remodeling issues.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #124413

So.

L1 = Space Suits.
L3 = Bio Suits
L4 = Bomb Suits

But WHAT the fuck is L2 then?
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #124414

l2 is radsuits, read the topic dummy
i love public logs
Spoiler:

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #124418

what level would firesuits be though? according to the announcements, level 5 is blob (alien lifeform?) and 7 is viral outbreak (no idea why this is not just 3), so would that make fires level 6? what does a level 5 suit even look like if it's supposed to protect you from blobs? maybe my guess on level 1 was wrong and that's actually fire?

I am starting to think there are no answers, just generations of coders who all had different ideas on how to make this classification system work
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #124419

That would make sense that firesuits be level 1, simply because the threat system seems to have some vague danger ranking. Fire is certainly less threatening than deadly virii, radiation or bombs. I think that maybe EVA suits do not even rank on this scale. I certainly never assumed they did until you brought it up in this thread
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #124421

it has been 2 years but I think my original idea was that, in space, hard vacuum is the big background danger, the secondary threat that always lurks around the corner in every other situation, and would therefore be classified as level 1
Spoiler:
whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #124424

yeah see thats why i'm a fan of EVA suit storage being special snowflakey, because the vacuum of space is the Big Bad and all the others are small potatoes, at least looking at it from the viewpoint of the station designers

if i were gonna overhaul equipment lockers what i'd do is anchor them to the ground and make it so instead of just being a normal locker you make it more like a SSU where there's a predefined slot where the head protection and the exosuit sections go.
i love public logs
Spoiler:

LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #124437

Ricotez wrote:what level would firesuits be though? according to the announcements, level 5 is blob (alien lifeform?) and 7 is viral outbreak (no idea why this is not just 3), so would that make fires level 6? what does a level 5 suit even look like if it's supposed to protect you from blobs? maybe my guess on level 1 was wrong and that's actually fire?

I am starting to think there are no answers, just generations of coders who all had different ideas on how to make this classification system work
There is no correlation between suit level and the alerts. Before radsuits were added,, there was only L3 (biosuit), which is likely some sort of reference - everything tends to be. L2 was then added when radiation suits were created. Much later L4 was added with bomb suits. I'm also not sure if the L stands for level, might just be an arbitrary classification or ID, or maybe some of the pre-tgs devs wanted to have multiple types of biosuits, but only ever added L3. Shrug.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #124516

I guess the really big advantage of not having space suits in lockers is that they aren't dragged away in the event of a hull breach, so they're still useful and possible to get to.

Not sure the others need that, though.
Ricotez

Re: Suit Storage Units

Post by Ricotez » #124524

the arguments in this thread so far have been really compelling, so I will definitely not be removing the SSUs

instead I want to do something about their clunkiness, but primarily about their sprites. SSU sprites are some of the prettiest sprites in the game, but IMO they don't really fit in with the rest of the game for that reason.

also im trying to have the suit that you store in the SSU actually show up on its sprite (using the item_state icon that the game also uses to render the suit on your body) but the SSU sprites are actually a bit too small for that so i have to figure out how to do that one
Spoiler: