Sources of infinite healing

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Re: Sources of infinite healing

Post by DaemonBomb » #125436

Bottom post of the previous page:

I played MD on a 70 player rev round on Ministation with no Chemist.
With just one sleeper, one cryotube, a cloner, and like half the chems a normal station would have, we did a pretty alright job keeping the station... vaguely alive.
This probably shouldn't be possible.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125439

MisterPerson wrote:Encouraging people to run at their attacker like that is good though. It's more fun than just "oh well you got shot, you're dead".
for once i have to agree with misterperson
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #125533

MisterPerson wrote:Encouraging people to run at their attacker like that is good though. It's more fun than just "oh well you got shot, you're dead".
It also means there's next to no risk or danger - you can be shot to pieces and 1 styptic patch will fully heal you from crit.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #125546

iamgoofball wrote:Do you honestly think that "make it more difficult just because" is a good way to go about things?
Hey, there's that absolutism! Either we never increase the difficulty or complexity of anything, or we "make it more difficult just because". Nobody has an actual reason for wanting to make changes.
Do you even fucking PLAY medical?
On other servers, it's one of my favorite jobs, because there's almost always stuff to do, and unlike most of the other jobs it heats up as the round progresses.

On this server, I try, and give up in frustration around the fifth time someone runs past me and jumps in a cryo tube. We don't HAVE medical. We have "medbay doormen", until someone inevitably breaks the door down halfway through the round.

There's a pattern that's been repeated in a bunch of areas: every time someone trips over some feature of the game mechanics and cries about it, we sand it down, until we have no mechanics left. Some people found it inconvenient that you can't get out of a cryo tube while inside, so we let you eject yourself. (Now doctors don't need to monitor people in cryo, cause they'll let themselves out.) Then it was inconvenient that the doctor can forget to turn the tube on, so we make it turn on automatically when there's someone inside. Then it's inconvenient that you need someone to close the door, so we fix that. Now you don't need the doctor at all; the self-service healing booth does it all. I'm sure at some point someone will propose that it not run out of drugs, "because sleepers don't".

What this does is leave everyone with nothing to do but (1) be antagonists, (2) fight antagonists, or (3) grief.
Remove the AI.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #125668

if people are healing themselves what I like to do is pump them full of fucking morphine until they pass out, treat them, then cuffbuckle their unconscious body, muzzle it, put a blindfold on them, and put earmuffs on them and then cart them around the station announcing to everyone there's a free ez kill
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125672

I really hope you don't actually do that when i'm online.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #125676

is ic issue :^)
Douk
Byond Username: Douk

Post by Douk » #125685

To me, it seems like a very simple fix for this problem (and by "simple," I mean not requiring a full med revamp (but that should be happening at some point too)) is to simply make sleepers and chemistry have limited resources. Make it so that every time a chemical is dispensed or drug administered, it pulls from a total resource pool for those machines. Once the resources are exhausted, no more drugs or chems until they are restocked, which can utilize refill cartridges similar to how vending machines currently are stocked. Balance on this would have to be fairly fine tuned so as to ensure that sleepers are still seen as viable despite their slightly longer time to treat damage by making them still more resource efficient than your standard medkit fare. Beyond that though, you still get your scarcity without your average crew member being held up in medbay all day because treatment takes forever. It would simply mean that medbay would have to rely more heavily on other departments like cargo (for brand-new resources) and science (perhaps for replenishing old resource cartridges using other non-renewable resources available) for continued operation throughout the round.

Ideally, this station should be internally interdependent to the point where people have vested interest in saving parts of the station that aren't the 20 tiles surrounding their workspace. Scarcity should be a looming threat for those who would waste resources or fail to protect supply/production lines, and having that scarcity effect medbay gives potentially deadly consequences to such deterioration that would otherwise simply halt work progress.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #125687

John_Oxford wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The only "healing" nerf should be making defibs CMO only.
High-level R&D too, perhaps? Endgame medical gear is a little lacking (NVMedHUD and synthflesh, really).
We had that at first, IIRC, but R&D would mass-produce defibs / assistants would break in and print them, and suddenly death held no fear

Thats generally what end-game is.

One or more of the following has happened during the course of the round, and it has entered a end-game stage:

1. All the antagonists have been killed
2. The shuttle consoles have been rendered in accessable through normal means
3. The entire crew is dead due to antagonists
4. The station has been split into a gang of roving merchant survivalists and a hive of xenomorphs
5. Power has shut off, rioting occured, space law is no longer in effect and it essentially becomes a "Your own your own, do what you need to do" scenario
6. Security goes full on hitler mode with the support of admins, becomes security vs crew
7. The round type is extended, RnD does their job, everyone carrys around pulse rifles and rides in fully equipped durands
8. The round type is extended, admins are hosting a event very late into the round, everyone adapts to all the shit thats gone on during the round
*. Have you ever seen a station with a 60 hour round time? Bullet casings everywhere, everythings ripped off the floors, theres holes in the wall, dead corpses everywhere, ect ect.
*2. Go onto the main byond hub, and scroll to the very bottom of the list, All of those russian servers havent been restarted in easily a year, join up and see what it looks like.
You forgot the one where everything goes perfectly, the antags are annihilated at instantly and the crew decks the station out in rare materials for hours before someone ignites a plasma floor.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #125697

Douk wrote:To me, it seems like a very simple fix for this problem (and by "simple," I mean not requiring a full med revamp (but that should be happening at some point too)) is to simply make sleepers and chemistry have limited resources. Make it so that every time a chemical is dispensed or drug administered, it pulls from a total resource pool for those machines.
I'm really fine with the chemical dispensers being unlimited (except plasma, because that just defies logic). We don't want to discourage chemists from experimenting and making mistakes or making too much of the "wrong" drug. The sleepers should have to get stocked with drugs from chemistry, like how cryo works.

They can start out loaded with some basic healing chems (again like cryo), and maybe they can have a central drug dispenser in the room that they're all plugged into, but they should need to be monitored and refilled manually. Like, the drug dispenser has ten ports. You can plug a bottle into a port and each sleeper will have a button that dispenses from that bottle.

I'd rather they not have refill cartridges, because this means you don't have to (and can't) make decisions about what to stock. You could instead order drug packages from cargo, which would contain bottles of the same stuff that the sleeper was stocked with.

If you still want more interdepartmental cooperation, hey, we could always move chemistry over to the science department.
Remove the AI.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125701

if medical needs any sort of nerf its to the ability to take things right out of medkits in there pack its not a big deal usualy but its a huge buff in blob to be able to juggle medical items so easily without having to drop your defib at all
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #125713

rockpecker wrote:
Douk wrote:To me, it seems like a very simple fix for this problem (and by "simple," I mean not requiring a full med revamp (but that should be happening at some point too)) is to simply make sleepers and chemistry have limited resources. Make it so that every time a chemical is dispensed or drug administered, it pulls from a total resource pool for those machines.
I'm really fine with the chemical dispensers being unlimited (except plasma, because that just defies logic). We don't want to discourage chemists from experimenting and making mistakes or making too much of the "wrong" drug. The sleepers should have to get stocked with drugs from chemistry, like how cryo works.

They can start out loaded with some basic healing chems (again like cryo), and maybe they can have a central drug dispenser in the room that they're all plugged into, but they should need to be monitored and refilled manually. Like, the drug dispenser has ten ports. You can plug a bottle into a port and each sleeper will have a button that dispenses from that bottle.

I'd rather they not have refill cartridges, because this means you don't have to (and can't) make decisions about what to stock. You could instead order drug packages from cargo, which would contain bottles of the same stuff that the sleeper was stocked with.

If you still want more interdepartmental cooperation, hey, we could always move chemistry over to the science department.
this is fucking stupid because the sleepers get new chems already from being upgraded by r&d or they WOULD if R&D ever did anything beyond making themselves mechs and bombing the station.
rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #125717

Super Aggro Crag wrote: this is fucking stupid because the sleepers get new chems already from being upgraded by r&d or they WOULD if R&D ever did anything beyond making themselves mechs and bombing the station.
Yes, they do. They shouldn't.
Remove the AI.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #125719

DaemonBomb wrote:I played MD on a 70 player rev round on Ministation with no Chemist.
With just one sleeper, one cryotube, a cloner, and like half the chems a normal station would have, we did a pretty alright job keeping the station... vaguely alive.
This probably shouldn't be possible.
One sleeper can heal infinite brute and burn and the rest of the damage types basically never happen or can be healed by sitting them in a room that contains air.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #125768

rockpecker wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote: this is fucking stupid because the sleepers get new chems already from being upgraded by r&d or they WOULD if R&D ever did anything beyond making themselves mechs and bombing the station.
Yes, they do. They shouldn't.
so remove the R&D department because you're mad chemistry doesn't get enough work to do? Do you think they'd really make chemicals to heal people when 99 percent of chemists make a glass of mannitol and then proceed to hop over to the wiki and start trying out all the retarded explosives, narcotics, and poisons goofball decided we needed because healing 1 tick of damage every 3 minutes was OP as fuck? This wouldn't result in Chemists doing their job more, it'd result in more people smashing the windows into chemistry and trying to do it themselves and people slaughtering each other over a stocked medkit. The playerbase.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125976

best be carefull mentioning goofchem misterperson might delete your post for being off topic.

On the topic at hand cryo could be made to go through chems faster but then your fucked if you lack a chemist.

Sleeper should definintly keep its ability to make its own chems.

I think its fine for medbay to be able to heal things easily the true test of the doctors skill is in the field against the blob within the medbay its a people managment job juggling 10 people needing healing in a crysis no other job is intense outside of emergencys why should medical be.

Buff spears so medbay is needed to get them out safely they should bleed more when removed not less.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #125993

Making triage more important, huh? Well, it might make people rely on their doctors more (ie. not even powergamers can be as medically robust as a fully kitted-out doctor).
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #126013

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Do you think they'd really make chemicals to heal people when 99 percent of chemists make a glass of mannitol and then proceed to hop over to the wiki and start trying out all the retarded explosives, narcotics, and poisons goofball decided we needed
I'm sorry that I gave chemists something fun to do other than make 50u DD pills for 10 minutes and then log out.

Also, considering the fact that every single time I've entered the medbay and checked out the CHEMIST-STOCKED med vendor it was full of all the medicine I'd ever need, I'd say you're pulling shit out of your ass at this point.
because healing 1 tick of damage every 3 minutes was OP as fuck?
Sorry, where the fuck did you get your numbers? I'd like some evidence.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #126030

As opposed to goof chem, where one patch of styptic + silver sulf will INSTANTLY heal a metric assload of burn and brute (toxin only being relevent 1% of the time), + a load of heal over time shit after?
Yeah, cool.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #126753

Yeah, let's cool it with the name calling.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #126853

its not name calling its people talking about healing chems in a thread about fucking healing chems.