Aim Mode

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Aim Mode

Post by TheNightingale » #132523

Any of you familiar with Baystation probably know this one already: an aim mode.

A button on the HUD toggles firing a ranged weapon between "aim" and "fire". "Fire" mode is just as it is now - point and click to shoot. Aim mode, however, is a little different: when targeting a person, clicking them displays a large, red message to the victim - "You are being targeted by {X}", along with an icon on the HUD (which, when scrolled over, tells you a little about your condition - like nograv, blind, deaf and so on). Those nearby can see that the person is being aimed at, and to the aggressor, a target icon appears over the victim (indicating that you're targeting them).

Whilst aiming at someone, your aiming hand is occupied - so if you do anything else with it, your aim cancels. Switching from "aim" to "fire" doesn't drop your aim, but actually firing with that hand does.

When targeting someone with a weapon, you can choose to enable movement, actions (including talking over comms) or both. If movement is enabled, the target can move freely. If actions are enabled, they can take actions freely - not including movement. If the target tries to do an action that isn't allowed by the targeter, the weapon automatically fires at the target, and the aim cancels.

TL;DR:

* Aim mode, used with any ranged weapon.
* Click someone to aim at them. If they do anything, they get shot and the aim drops.
* Targeter can choose to let the target move and/or take actions.
* The target has a big message shown to them; everyone nearby sees a small message.
* You can target two people at once (with a gun in each hand), but this leaves you vulnerable.
* You can target someone with one hand, and shoot them normally with the other.
* When targeting someone, doing something with that hand drops the aim.
* Now you too can take hostages! Don't move, or the bunny gets it.

It's still more effective just to shoot them without aim mode, if you want to kill them - because either way you have to click them. If they already have a weapon out, you can still be shot, but they'll shoot you too.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Aim Mode

Post by Zilenan91 » #132525

This won't work here with anything but tasers. Our guns are too low damage, and due to our medical system, won't pulp peoples heads like they do on Bay. Useless.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #132530

It wouldn't be a good combat strategy for non-stun weapons - but aiming a revolver at someone, which autofires if they move (and then you can just fire again to put them into crit)? That'd work. Perhaps if the aim continued after the target takes an action (and gets shot)? So a Security Officer being targeted could draw their taser and fire, but they'd be hit with two .357 rounds.

(Also, we can port Baymed as well, but that's probably too much for one PR)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #132537

Sounds neat, could be used for actual roleplay.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #132540

Perhaps people with bionic arms can circumvent the reflex shot when you try to shoot someone while being targeted.

IE: Quick draw like a motherfucker with your bionic arm to avoid being shot.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #132544

[slippery slope fallacy argument drawing on fear of degenerate behaviour from servers using such game mechanics]
Mime: Depresso
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #132551

I don't see it working here, since the only reason it's effective on bay is RP. It's very easy to just run to the side and return fire without getting hit. It would actually be even less useful with tasers because as soon as they sidestep you've wasted 1/5th of your ammo on an impossible shot, and with any weapon, exposed yourself to return fire while you switch back to normal firing mods.

TL;DR it only works because highRP and would be pretty useless here
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132552

sounds pretty cool
i can see myself using this as sec when asking people to come quietly instead of just running up and firing
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #132580

Would need to autohit them to be useful here.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132592

lumipharon wrote:Sounds neat, could be used for actual roleplay.
roleplay on tg WILL NEVER HAPPEN. this meme is so forced smh
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #132678

PKPenguin321 wrote:sounds pretty cool
i can see myself using this as sec when asking people to come quietly instead of just running up and firing
Laff, I used this on a baycode server once. Cap trusted me and had given me an SMG because suspected mutiny. We're gathering near escape, radio call comes out yelling to stop someone they come into my field of view so I click the aiming reticle on 'em.

Dumbass didn't stop running and bay doesn't cancel after the shot so they got four rounds in the face, then were maximum salt to the admins because whaa whaa whaa they didn't rp their fighting why does a cargotech know how to use an smg etc

I said "my character is inexperienced with firearms and panicfired because no trigger discpline" and they were like "lol k valid"