Renaming/refluffing loyalty implants

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Renaming/refluffing loyalty implants

Post by onleavedontatme » #133329

Because I am sick of people confused as to what a loyalty implant actually does and expecting them to brainwash people into NT slaves.

I need a new name for them though. Mind shield or aegis or simply anti-brainwash implant? Maybe you guys have a better one.

Something to make it clear that the implants prevent and undo brainwashing but are not mind control devices that will untraitor people and force you to sing a song about how much you love the captain.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Renaming/refluffing loyalty implants

Post by TheNightingale » #133331

The last time I was loyalty implanted as a traitor, I pretended it shorted out my Syndicate mindset and started following the Warden around saluting him and calling him "sir" three times a sentence. They eventually got so tired of it, they unimplanted me.

There's certainly RP potential in the sycophantic/obsequious angle, at least.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #133335

I remember bugging you because nuke ops could be loyalty implanted.
How about a corporate shackles defense system. The flavor text is "You remember how much Centcomm is paying you. Rev heads don't care about money. Rev members do. Gang leaders want to make money selling drugs and stuff. Gang members worry about the money.
Works into the shadowing flavor as well
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #133343

Sounds fine to me. Like you said, implants by themselves only block brainwashing attempts in game, like gang, rev and shadowlings (sorta), they don't by themselves ensure that someone is totally loyal to Nanotrasen. The reason (that I came up with) that none of the people who start with loyalty implants (security and the captain) can be antag is because they also have extensive training and background checking to go along with being hired for those sensitive positions, which prevents syndicate operatives from sneaking in. Changing the name to mind-shields or something like that would clarify stuff pretty well, so +1 here

inb4 muh headcanon
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #133344

i actually kinda like the nazi centcomm brainwashing ultra loyalty implants. when i get implanted i always go "HAIL NANOTRASEN!!" and robotically assimilate enemies to the cause. it's especially fun in revolutions
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #133348

I like them the way they are now, I prefer to think of NanoTrasen as a stereotypically evil corporation that won and got fed up with it all. Maybe re-fluff them to explain why they wouldn't work on most antags: Like, Traitors being highly-skilled (Hold on just stay with me here) sleeper agents trained to resist implantation without showing evidence of it, Changelings having weird internal physiology that stop the implants from interfacing, Revheads being utterly loyal to "The Cause" and Gang Leaders too deep in the Thug Life. Wizards are just magic and think NT's idea of brainwashing is hilariously quaint, Nar'Sie cultists are tainted spiritually not physically and no amount of implants can clean a soul.

Dunno about other antags (Ones you'd have a hard time implanting) like Abductors, Nuke Ops, Vampires, Space Ninjas etc.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #133352

I've always seen Nanotrasen's hiring policy as being inherently flawed - the average captain is an incompetent chimp who is kept in command because it keeps him in sight and with his finger not directly on any important buttons, the average head of security is a violent authoritarian with anger management issues who incidentally tends to keep disruption down through horrifying breaches of the space equivalent of the Geneva Convention, and his security officers are similar people.

The head of personnel tends to be fairly competent because they act as a gentle buffer between the captain and the crew; the chief medical officer has to be competent because a quack cannot adequately fix a crew that's likely to be self-destructive; the chief engineer needs to be competent because maintaining a giant, rusty box in space to life-support levels is difficult.

Research directors need to be a wonderful mix of "scientifically talented" and "quite insane".
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #133361

if u aint loyal u make my blood boil

nanotrasen for life son
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #133381

i agree with the change, i always saw them as just a kind of "dont be an ass" implants, so if im implanted i usually range from actively fighting the enemy (rev rounds especially) to just not helping antags. i always thought they were meant to be more of a roleplay thing than anything else, but something something baystation so we should change it

i think mind shield would be a good name overall.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #133397

Loyalty to the corporation does not equal mindless blind obedience to some random employees of the company (or even the company itself).

The name is fine.