Remove the common channel from headsets

A place to record your ideas for the game.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Remove the common channel from headsets

Post by rdght91 » #136470

This would really bring back the old feel of the paranoia that I think the game used to have. There are no real insta-silence-stun kill methods easily available any more, and with the common channel anyone can scream their location and the only hope for the killer is that nobody cares enough that's nearby.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Remove the common channel from headsets

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #136471

rdght91 wrote:I didn't kill, please nerf.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #136472

rdght91 wrote:This would really bring back the old feel of the paranoia that I think the game used to have. There are no real insta-silence-stun kill methods easily available any more, and with the common channel anyone can scream their location and the only hope for the killer is that nobody cares enough that's nearby.
There is a big fat room full of telecomms materials that you can easily destroy if you don't want someone to scream their location.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #136473

People have been suggesting this for ages and it has never got any traction. I think that it would actually make it harder to kill silently. Think about it, if you took away the common channel people would start carrying station bounced radios everywhere which can be easily mass produced from the lathe. They will also probably keep the microphone enable, so aside from clogging up the common channel when 3-4 people have a conversation, it also means that anything said while ambushing them will go over the radio. D-ant-te sm-GLORF. Sc-i ma-in-HURK.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #136493

you could remove station-bounced too

i don't think it's a bad idea. maybe just remove common channel altogether and make departments have to use intercomms, request consoles or the AI to communicate?

i suppose command channel would become to go-between and people would actually have to talk to their department heads every now and then. that would be neat.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #136501

Or you could make it so you have to hold the station bounced to use it. You know, like normal walkie talkies.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #136502

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
rdght91 wrote:I didn't kill, please nerf.
Nice meme.

Everytime a suggestion makes the game more lethal, "LOL OP UNROBUST TATOR" and everytime it makes the game safer, "OP GETS DUNKED BY ANTAGS."

Anyway, the keys that go to the common channel can always be made, but starting default with only your own department means people have to look out for and rely on their own department. Intercoms and communication consoles would actually be useful now.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136503

But like... 50% of the interactions on station come from the common channel. Is that really worth throwing away just so it's easier to double tap someone with a revolver without them screaming for help (when you could just EMP them or dismantle telecoms instead)?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #136504

i'm not so sure you lose much. you lose two things really which is "HELP [antagonist] IS ATTACK-HURK" and memes. intercomms are in the game and used by precisely nobody, so if you have to make a broadcast for something under no duress you can always just use those. the AI can hear all channels these days so no one really loses the ability to chat to anything important, it just means it'll take a little while longer.

i'm not totally against the idea of leaving it in, but i think it would be a net improvement if it were removed. it helps antags and atmosphere and i'm not really sure you lose that much.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #136507

Shaps wrote:But like... 50% of the interactions on station come from the common channel. Is that really worth throwing away just so it's easier to double tap someone with a revolver without them screaming for help (when you could just EMP them or dismantle telecoms instead)?
If someone needs someone announced over the intercom they can ask the AI or their boss to do so.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #136509

No, this is dumb.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #136510

Didn't we try this before (several times, IIRC) only to come to the conclusion that it's a dumb idea?
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136513

Intercoms get used all the time when comms go down
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #136515

I think this is an idea worth exploring, with the nerf to SBRs (hold in hand to talk, no microphone button) included, as that seems an obvious shortfall.

It would be interesting to run a few rounds to see how players respond to the change.
Mime: Depresso
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #136529

Every time this was attempted, from what I remember, we all agreed it was a piss-poor idea because without that constant feed of dialogue the game is just boring and empty.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #136554

As a meme expert, I can tell you all that this thread is, in fact, a literal meme and everything posted in it becomes a meme by association.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #136555

Hey buddy. You posted in the wrong thread. The bad ideas thread is down the hall to the left.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136557

ExplosiveCrate wrote:Didn't we try this before (several times, IIRC) only to come to the conclusion that it's a dumb idea?
Never happened here, aside from maybe the CE running an experiment.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #136564

But we've discussed this idea several times before and last times the general feeling was that the idea would have too many negative and unforeseen consequences over any positive effects.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #136565

DrPillzRedux wrote:No, this is dumb.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136573

Steelpoint wrote:But we've discussed this idea several times before and last times the general feeling was that the idea would have too many negative and unforeseen consequences over any positive effects.
By discussed you mean a vocal few whinged and moaned that they wouldn't be able to get the attention they seeked by filling the common channel up with their bullshit.

Its a thing that no one's going to know how well it works until its been implemented for a few weeks.
invisty

Post by invisty » #136577

Malkevin wrote:By discussed you mean a vocal few whinged and moaned that they wouldn't be able to get the attention they seeked by filling the common channel up with their bullshit.
Pretty much this. There seems to be a vocal minority these days who are strongly against any changes which make a certain type of gameplay behaviour more difficult.
Last edited by invisty on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #136579

But I enjoy bullshitting on the common channel. It's fun. Why should it be removed just for the fun of traitors, instead of the other 70% of the station?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136586

are we actually trying to say that people speaking to each other is a dumb feature and adds nothing, cuz if you are then I sincerely think you're not only playing the wrong game, but you're playing the entirely wrong genre of games
invisty

Post by invisty » #136587

Shaps wrote:are we actually trying to say that people speaking to each other is a dumb feature and adds nothing

Shaps you're better than this.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #136589

invisty wrote:
Shaps wrote:are we actually trying to say that people speaking to each other is a dumb feature and adds nothing

The fuck are you even talking about
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136590

invisty wrote:
In a thread where people are boiling down removing the entire common channel to
i'm not so sure you lose much. you lose two things really which is "HELP [antagonist] IS ATTACK-HURK" and memes.
I don't see how I was strawmanning
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #136591

Like 90% of communication in this game is over common.
Half the jobs would just be near silence all round long if you don't have common.

comms going down in round is great, it actually lets antags get shit down without the validhunter tide swarming them.
But not having it at all? This game seriously needs it - it would be pretty terrible without it.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136592

lumipharon wrote:Like 90% of communication in this game is over common.
Half the jobs would just be near silence all round long if you don't have common.

comms going down in round is great, it actually lets antags get shit down without the validhunter tide swarming them.
But not having it at all? This game seriously needs it - it would be pretty terrible without it.
Yeah, you can take out all of tcomms for pretty much the entire round with one bomb no issue
invisty

Post by invisty » #136595

Shaps wrote:In a thread where people are boiling down removing the entire common channel to
i'm not so sure you lose much. you lose two things really which is "HELP [antagonist] IS ATTACK-HURK" and memes.
I don't see how I was strawmanning
Well, to be fair, he is wrong. You do lose something valuable, which is an easy all-access chat channel.

But I don't think most people were acting under the illusion that such a change would be without perceptible "downsides".

So yes, to be entirely fair, you weren't wrong yourself.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #136596

Most people try the old bomb outside the r-wall though (instead of c4'ing in, or emagging etc/etc), which does pretty much nothing with a syndie bomb, which really needs a buff.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136597

The way to do it if you're a traitor is to C4 the APC, then C4 the hub.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #136598

Absolutely not. The background chatter helps to provide entertainment as well as something upon which to focus while doing a boring job (Virology, Cargo, etc). For me, the loss of Common channel would greatly drive up my boredom, especially if I am in a role that does not belong to a department. Most antagonists have a way to prevent radio calls for help, anyway. Learn to deal with the threats you know anyone will have BEFORE you attack. It is like breaking into the armory and not expecting to be tased by the warden.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #136604

I know this is a shit idea because it showed up on singulo first
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136608

Wasn't it Scones that asked for common channel to be removed
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #136611

oranges wrote:I know this is a shit idea because it showed up on singulo first
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #136613

No. The times it was tried on the server, it failed horribly. Every round comms gets disabled, it is bloody horrible. Do you REALLY want to remove an important part of the game just so traitors have a slightly easier time killing someone with less effort? And add atmosphere? I highly doubt it would add anything to except annoyance to the atmosphere.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #136619

firecage wrote:Every round comms gets disabled, it is bloody horrible.
Hm. I was thinking about how I wouldn't mind if this was tried, but then I read this and changed my mind. I think firecage's right, removing the common channel would not be the right way to do this. Making silent kills possible might be a good thing though, maybe with cheap traitor items (jammers) which silently disable earpieces for nearby people. Or-or-or how about a changeling screech which prints something like Your ears are burning, you cannot think straight enough to speak coherently or something more reasonable than that, which makes nearby people unable to use "say" for a while, but the screech is heard all over the station (like an explosion). So other people know a changeling used it somewhere, they however don't know where. The difference between this and voice-removing stings or whatever being that it's an AOE effect, meaning witnesses wouldn't be able to call for help either.

So yeah, while I disagree with the OP's proposed solution, I think there's something to the problem.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #136646

An idea I considered for awhile was tying speaking over the radio or on common to the station intercoms in some manner. Maybe bouncing the message to a nearby one if it's on or actively requiring someone to stand nearby it, I dunno. Obviously the ability to just do say ;message is really important here; fiddling with the intercoms is a dealbreaker. Extra advantage: radios don't work in maint because maint doesn't have any intercoms. I never really thought either would actually make things better so I didn't bother pursuing them. I'm just posting them here to give people more ideas that aren't quite as severe as "kill common".

Radio/say disabling is also a possibility, although stunning a player and knocking out their headset literally leaves them helpless, which is not remotely fun. Probably not worth it unless the player knows their radio is off for whatever reason.

Common is obviously quite a useful and powerful tool for making the game more interesting and dynamic socially. Any potential gains on fun for the antag-victim dynamic are insignificant compared to the loss of pretty much everybody else's ability to do basically anything interesting.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #136648

Make it so stunned people can't use their headset if its not already enabled.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136664

MisterPerson wrote:An idea I considered for awhile was tying speaking over the radio or on common to the station intercoms in some manner. Maybe bouncing the message to a nearby one if it's on or actively requiring someone to stand nearby it, I dunno. Obviously the ability to just do say ;message is really important here; fiddling with the intercoms is a dealbreaker. Extra advantage: radios don't work in maint because maint doesn't have any intercoms. I never really thought either would actually make things better so I didn't bother pursuing them. I'm just posting them here to give people more ideas that aren't quite as severe as "kill common".
You can already say ":i blah" to speak into an intercom within a 3 tile range without having to fiddle with their archaic UI.

Incidentally, you can also use ":l" and ":r" to talk into radios that are held in your left or right hand respectively.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136665

LiamLime wrote:
firecage wrote:Every round comms gets disabled, it is bloody horrible.
Hm. I was thinking about how I wouldn't mind if this was tried, but then I read this and changed my mind. I think firecage's right, removing the common channel would not be the right way to do this. Making silent kills possible might be a good thing though, maybe with cheap traitor items (jammers) which silently disable earpieces for nearby people. Or-or-or how about a changeling screech which prints something like Your ears are burning, you cannot think straight enough to speak coherently or something more reasonable than that, which makes nearby people unable to use "say" for a while, but the screech is heard all over the station (like an explosion). So other people know a changeling used it somewhere, they however don't know where. The difference between this and voice-removing stings or whatever being that it's an AOE effect, meaning witnesses wouldn't be able to call for help either.

So yeah, while I disagree with the OP's proposed solution, I think there's something to the problem.
That already exists, EMP's and that one EMP changeling screech. There are already ways for traitors to (mostly) silently disable radios in a small radius
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #136666

EMP screech is fucking robust as hell, but says "valid" quite like an EMP blast centered on yourself.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #136668

>man, parasting was really unfun, being stunned and muted then dead forever was terrible
>I know, what if comms didnt exist and I could silently kill everyone with a single stun

This would make the game completely unplayable with less than 50-60 people.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136671

>implying department radio channels don't exist when you're something other than a greysuited goyim that exist only to give traitors easy maint access.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #136728

this should be in the shitty ideas thread.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #136730

ShadowDimentio wrote:Hey buddy. You posted in the wrong thread. The bad ideas thread is down the hall to the left.
Tfw nobody quotes my post in agreement

Why live
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #136744

Take away all headsets from greys and all spares around the ship.

Give the captain a button that prevents people outside of heads from talking over general.

ruin everything
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #136745

You know those authentication devices that you use to escalate to code red? There could be a "Radio silence" option added to those.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #136753

Am I the only one who likes the game for its social aspect?

I mean, seriously. Most of the game's systems are terrible. Combat is terrible, things like R&D are bad, most of them are just a recipe of clicks that you have to repeat over and over. Gets old quickly enough.

Talking to people though? Really doesn't. Which is why I like security and meaningful command roles (and assistant lately).

And now you want to make it so you don't have anyone to talk to a lot of the time (hell, something like service or medical channels barely even get used), AND you also are subject to be killed by something you have no hope of countering (unless perhaps you shy away from every person closer than 5 tiles to you), even just by screaming "AI help". What's the point? You want to be able to come up to anyone with a stunprod, without them being able to do anything? Department radio is all good and all, but security response time is not good now, and without common it will increase tenfold. Unless there's particularly good AI, or particularly caring coworker (if you do have ANY coworkers at all), anyone's fair game for traitors basically.

Paranoia, you say? Well, currently being antagonist can make me pretty fucking paranoid, it's a welcome challenge to complete the objectives because I know that if I'm careless, a train of harm batons is coming. I'm not sure why you believe that traitors should have an easy time. That seems counter intuitive. They are the ones with agenda, they should overcome challenges to complete it, not just be handed it on a silver platter.

And if being a regular member of crew is not exciting enough for you, well. Have you tried may be... roleplaying? Shocking, I know. Instead of being afraid of everyone around (I guess that's what you mean by "paranoia"), avoiding other people and just looting survival gear every round, actually start interacting with others more. It can be pretty fun, trust me.