Replace Major/Minor crimes in the records with Crime Codes.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Replace Major/Minor crimes in the records with Crime Codes.

Post by Lumbermancer » #143823

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Space_law

Space Law codes.

It'd be quicker to use and more uniform. You could use a dropdown menu for the crime, and then then box for description. Plus the crimes are more descriptive themselves since Codes have 4 types of severity, not just Minor and Major. Also maybe with time Sec would start using them in normal communication, because saying "I have code 106 in Dorms, multiple lizards, send backup" sounds pretty cool
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Replace Major/Minor crimes in the records with Crime Cod

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #143831

It would make filling in any crime that's not directly represented in Space Law (which isn't supposed to be more than a guideline and all that) a pain in the ass.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143832

Nobody will bother learning codes except extremely pretentious and elitists players, who will only use it as an excuse to get annoyed at the normal players who won't learn what a 106 is.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:It would make filling in any crime that's not directly represented in Space Law (which isn't supposed to be more than a guideline and all that) a pain in the ass.
Officer Lemons: "10-38 in dorms."
Officer Scrubs: "What's a 10-38?"
Officer Lemons: "What are you a n00b, it's 'other crimes', duh."
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143835

God forbid job requires some learning and knowledge
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #143837

Every job requires learning, but this isn't a necessity to make security officers work, therefore you can't expect people to learn it. It's akin to expecting chemists to learn recipes instead of looking them up. But while chemists need to know the recipe in order to make the chemical, security doesn't need to know the crime code to call it out. So while chemists will need to look the thing up, security doesn't need to do it, and therefore likely won't, especially considering how quickly they must respond.

I'm not saying I'm against this on a fluff basis, I just don't expect anyone to actually use it in practice.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143838

Then don't use code to call it out.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #143839

No. Scrap the distinction between major and minor crimes and scrap the different boxes for crimes and details.

Nobody ever gets enough crimes piled up to warrant a divide. If your amount of crimes is above 3 you are just getting thrown in the gulag/perma.

If I want to add details to a crime I add them myself, the rigid structure is highly annoying also because it doesn't accept blank inputs.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #143840

I got plans for fixing up the brig to be not-so-shit on the prisoner handling and crimes side of things sometime this freeze
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143843

CPTANT wrote:If I want to add details to a crime I add them myself, the rigid structure is highly annoying also because it doesn't accept blank inputs.

You don't need to type in the details you know, you can leave it blank.

Right now you pick type of the crime, you need to type in the crime, and type in the details if you fancy. In my world you would just to have to pick crime from the list.

How is that harder for a noob I can't fathom.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #143844

Lumbermancer wrote:
CPTANT wrote:No. Scrap the distinction between major and minor crimes and scrap the different boxes for crimes and details.

Nobody ever gets enough crimes piled up to warrant a divide. If your amount of crimes is above 3 you are just getting thrown in the gulag/perma.

If I want to add details to a crime I add them myself, the rigid structure is highly annoying also because it doesn't accept blank inputs.
Which is my point exactly. Right now you pick type of the crime, you need to type in the crime, and type in the details. In my world you would just to have to pick crime from the list.
I don't want a list, I just want an empty box to type in whatever the fuck someone did. With how little or much details as I like, because things are rarely "standard" in ss13
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143845

You already have it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #143847

Lumbermancer wrote:You already have it.
No because it is arbitrarily devided into minor/major crimes and another division in crime and details.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143850

People rarely care for either and just type stuff in.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #143852

Lumbermancer wrote:People rarely care for either and just type stuff in.
exactly.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #143854

Eh, it might be faster to use. Hard to say, I think typing a crime name is normally pretty quick.

As it is, the distinction between 'minor' and 'medium' crimes is pretty limited. What matters is whether they're racking up several major crimes or anything worse, since that's the stuff that causes more than 10 minutes. Ultimately the minor/major distinction covers that fairly well.

Unless, you know, you think 3 of any crimes should be perma. That's hilariously easy to rack up if you're going by the book.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #144044

What if instead of replacing the criminal record system we integrate the space law codes into it instead? Basically we keep the existing criminal records system for the sake of details but also add a priority system bases on space law as well? Security could label a suspect as a 1-4 based on their crimes and instead of a W for wanted over their sprites while wearing sec huds it'd show a 1-4 based on what sec labels them as. Experienced sec head players could use this to their advantage, perhaps telling sec in advance at the begining of the round that 1 is for witnesses/suspects that need to be questioned but not necessarily imprisoned while 4 is kill/permabrig on sight.