Small virology change

A place to record your ideas for the game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Small virology change

Post by lumipharon » #150015

Currently, when doing virology, you remove symptoms by adding synaps, which randomly removes 1 symptom.
This makes customising very specific diseases quite tedious (even more so when stealth is involved).

I don't see any actual reason for this RNG mechanic. What if viros (through the pandemic, a new machine or whatever) could simply remove specific symptoms?
All this would do is increase the speed in which you can make things, which is a pretty big complaint with viro.

Also the RNG removal of symptoms when you add a new one to a disease with more than 3 symptoms is gay too.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Small virology change

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150016

i believe that RNG symptom removal when new symptoms are added is so you can't have SUPERMEGAEVERYSYMPTOMDEATHDEATHDEATH diseases
selective removing would be pretty cool though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #150020

Neersighted said he'll be working on PANDEMIC TGui soon with updates from my servers PANDEMIC code which allows you to do virology in the GUI, save virus samples and discovered symptoms.

This should make it simpler and less tedious overall.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #150027

Propose a better system.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150038

Scott wrote:Propose a better system.
nice meme
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #150050

PKPenguin321 wrote:i believe that RNG symptom removal when new symptoms are added is so you can't have SUPERMEGAEVERYSYMPTOMDEATHDEATHDEATH diseases
I'm not saying remove the 6 symptom limit, just remove the rng removal that does literally nothing except slow down the entire process.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150054

lumipharon wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:i believe that RNG symptom removal when new symptoms are added is so you can't have SUPERMEGAEVERYSYMPTOMDEATHDEATHDEATH diseases
I'm not saying remove the 6 symptom limit, just remove the rng removal that does literally nothing except slow down the entire process.
makes sense i guess, i was gonna say that simply not allowing more symptoms past 6 would be really weird and unintuitive but at the same time our current system is anyways so iunno
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #150060

It makes as much sense as the bomb cap. There is no IC reason for it, but there is a mechanics reason to have it.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #150078

I just create a few bottles of rhinovirus. Then I use the dropper to add 1 unit virus and 1 unit plasma to a beaker, and scan that. If I like the sympton, I put the beaker aside, if I dont, I empty it.
Then I take an empty beaker and continue. When I have everything I want, I just mix stuff together.
So yeah, there is an RNG element but I dont use synap and I dont see why I should, but maybe I am doing it wrong, my viro experience is only a few rounds.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #150081

You'll want to use synap to purify the results; sneezing is an additional symptom after all.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #150223

Sneezing is one of the best symptoms in the game, it forces airbourne spread so everyone can get your supervirus/deathvirus.

Also there's no sensible way to do virology that involves ever using synaptizine unless you fuck up. I do it by systematically adding symptoms on top of each other until I have a disease I'm happy with, merging viruses when I have to when they delete a previous symptom.

Still, when I DO fuck up I'd definitely appreciate the ability to just undo my fuck up.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #150226

Like I said, it's a small change to remove an essentially pointless bit of time wasting.
Buggy
Byond Username: Buggy1234

Post by Buggy » #150241

There are absolutely sensible ways to do virology that involve using synaptizine. Essentially, the ultimate limiter in virology is the time limit between making new beakers in the PANDEMIC. I'd guess it's like 5 seconds or so. If you make 1 new symptom at a time, you're limited to 1 every 5 seconds.

In order to work faster, i instead create 4 new symptoms per timer. I need to use synaptizine to isolate them, yes, but it is still much quicker than only creating 1 new symptom every 5 seconds. Occasionally a symptom is overwritten, wasting a unit of plasma/mutagen, which is a downside, but nonetheless I can get most of the beneficial symptoms as little as 10min into the round.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #150258

newfren wrote: Still, when I DO fuck up I'd definitely appreciate the ability to just undo my fuck up.
You could try backing up your current disease before making any changes. Then if you don't like the result, just revert to the backup.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150261

If you don't want to remove one of the 2 base symptoms from every virus just get a symptom you do want then synapt the starter symptom away. Random chance is full acceptable on 2 symptom viruses then you have a new starting point from which you can derive whatever else for eventual mixing.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #150496

Giacom wrote:
newfren wrote: Still, when I DO fuck up I'd definitely appreciate the ability to just undo my fuck up.
You could try backing up your current disease before making any changes. Then if you don't like the result, just revert to the backup.
I always back up my diseases, it's when I accidentally plasma the back up is the trouble.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #150616

Buggy wrote:There are absolutely sensible ways to do virology that involve using synaptizine. Essentially, the ultimate limiter in virology is the time limit between making new beakers in the PANDEMIC. I'd guess it's like 5 seconds or so. If you make 1 new symptom at a time, you're limited to 1 every 5 seconds.

In order to work faster, i instead create 4 new symptoms per timer. I need to use synaptizine to isolate them, yes, but it is still much quicker than only creating 1 new symptom every 5 seconds. Occasionally a symptom is overwritten, wasting a unit of plasma/mutagen, which is a downside, but nonetheless I can get most of the beneficial symptoms as little as 10min into the round.
Yes this is the way to do viro.

When filtering out wanted symptoms from the mix you create a bottle, add 1 synaptizine, see if it still has the good effect, if yes then create a new bottle from that one, if not try again with the previous bottle.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.