make traitors start with 25 TCs instead of 20

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

make traitors start with 25 TCs instead of 20

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152407

what's the worst that could happen
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: make traitors start with 25 TCs instead of 20

Post by Zilenan91 » #152412

People were suggesting they start out with 30 a while ago but to compensate a lot of hte prices would be scaled up. It would allow for far more precise balancing of the prices of Traitor items.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #152442

Increasing price flexibility is good but usually met by price increases on weapons. So I am a bit wary.

Also you sure you want to get killed more penguin? You seem like a risk adverse kind of player.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #152443

What's the point of continually giving Traitors more TC's if your just going to raise the price of everything to match it, only to never actually allow anyone to lower the price of anything because he might take two of something!

20 TC's is fine, just bloody adjust the price of equipment from there instead of raising the price of everything and starting a 50 comment chain because everyone now has to chime in about the price of a energy dagger being 1 TC less than double the amount to compensate.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #152446

How about fractional TC so our traitors can be Fraction Jackson and save the beebles?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152498

I have always been higly in favour of this (with some adjustments on explosives). But unfortunately the last time we tried to implement it is was instantly shot down with the following reasoning:

"There was already a 30TC PR shut down so a 25TC PR is a dupe and must be closed"
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152501

Steelpoint wrote:What's the point of continually giving Traitors more TC's if your just going to raise the price of everything to match it, only to never actually allow anyone to lower the price of anything because he might take two of something!

20 TC's is fine, just bloody adjust the price of equipment from there instead of raising the price of everything and starting a 50 comment chain because everyone now has to chime in about the price of a energy dagger being 1 TC less than double the amount to compensate.
Nah, don't adjust the prices of stuff, just give them 5 more TCs. That way they can buy the obligatory emag/EMP kit and still have TCs to do other stuff, or just outright have more traitor stuff in general.
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152502

Incomptinence wrote:Also you sure you want to get killed more penguin? You seem like a risk adverse kind of player.
I am genuinely ashamed that you think this
I get really salty, but I firmly believe in more death on the station
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #152510

The problem with giving then 25 TCs and not adjusting prices would mean that traitors would buy two syndicate bombs every round and it'd be macrobomb week again.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152528

Zilenan91 wrote:The problem with giving then 25 TCs and not adjusting prices would mean that traitors would buy two syndicate bombs every round and it'd be macrobomb week again.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #152531

honestly I'd raise everything by 10x. It makes balancing costs easier. 10 TC was incredibly difficult to balance prices, but 20 is still restrictive.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #152533

>stand, adrenal, other toys

>stand+a gun

>adrenal+revolver+thermals

>adrenal+ebow+???

>lmao 2 bomb

It'd just enable good players to go on even dumber killing sprees by having a near free adrenal implant as a safety net before the snowball of stealing officer tasers starts.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #152536

Why yes that is what we want because the initial newling principal of leaving shit impotent as fuck until some fucking spess mans scholar of the getting good comes along makes for dull rounds for everyone 90% of the time.

Hell buff all non cookie cutter wiz spells so everyone who doesn't use Lumi's min max build or ei nath mmblinkjaunt classic isn't basically killing themselves.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #152541

Kor wrote:>stand, adrenal, other toys

>stand+a gun

>adrenal+ebow+???

>lmao 2 bomb

It'd just enable good players to go on even dumber killing sprees by having a near free adrenal implant as a safety net before the snowball of stealing officer tasers starts.
Pretty much this.
Having more tc's won't make the gamemode better.

The only thing more tc's allows me to do is murderbone more. It doesn't help with issues like the AI being able to instantly shut you down, or having 20 validhunters after your ass as soon as word gets out.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #152542

It does when the traitor menu has solutions to those problems and more from multiple angles.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #152544

Having a AI detector is useful, but it doesn't stop the AI from doing anything, just lets you know if it's quietly spying on you.

And despite what some people say, it is exceedingly impractical, to the point I have NEVER SEEN IT DONE EVER, to disable every possible camera that can see you or where you'll have to go, prior to commitin some crime.

And I don't know what item can help against the validtide, although I suppose that soap clusterbomb might be a hilarious, if temporary way to do so.

To be honest, all three of these problems are severely mitigated when there's an active powersink in play, but they're so easy to find unless very well hidden, and can be countered so easily by wiring the engine into the grid, that you almost never see them.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #152546

How about making the uplink menu have a per-round and all-time supply/demand cost calculation, that sets both the round-start cost of items, and then adjusts the cost of those items as they are purchased. It could also decrease the cost of unpopular items during the round, meaning each tater round would likely have several traitors of different play styles.

Stealth items for super cheap? Yes plz. Encouraging alternatives to emags? Yes plz.

Capitalism, ho!
Mime: Depresso
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #152558

Two whole stands! Makes metafriending even better!
The future is horrible!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152562

Ezel wrote:Two whole stands! Makes metafriending even better!
you can only have one, the game straight up won't let you implant a second one (i'm not proposing this, it's already like this in the game)
lumipharon wrote:The only thing more tc's allows me to do is murderbone more. It doesn't help with issues like the AI being able to instantly shut you down, or having 20 validhunters after your ass as soon as word gets out.
and yet every time somebody talks about nerfing the AI, people whine endlessly
Spoiler:
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #152564

Metafriending in giving your buddy also a holo and m e t a g a m e
The future is horrible!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152567

Ezel wrote:Metafriending in giving your buddy also a holo and m e t a g a m e
i genuinely hope you're joking
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #152578

how about we just offer a single free 1 or 2 TC item, that's a product of the company you work for.
So you get an extra C4 or AI detector or Camera tap or Carp or deck of cards. Having a crewmember get a chameleon stamp won't break the game
The problem with balance is that prices are tuned pretty carefully. So give traitors a free item as it will give them incentives to try items they haven't
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #152589

PKPenguin321 wrote:
has happened.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152594

J_Madison wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
has happened.
alright, sure, but those are the people that would metagame anyways. giving traitors 5 more TCs wont make everybody suddenly say "oh boy now i can metagame"
i mean come on
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152665

Kor wrote:>stand, adrenal, other toys

>stand+a gun

>adrenal+ebow+???

>lmao 2 bomb

This is a good thing. I basically never feel threatened by traitors ever, the balance has gone in complete disfavour of traitors over time.

Increasing bombs to half of you tc+1 was already suggested when this was discussed ages ago.

Any other severe imbalances that often occur can be easily adjusted after looking what new meta will evolve from this TC increase (which is badly needed)

Like I said before, people should stop being such pussies about each and every balance change proposed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #152668

Facilitating murder sprees isn't a good thing. If we want to encourage traitors to be fun, don't give them more TC to spend on combat gear, reduce the costs of non-combat gear and add more interesting gadgets. Storage implants, Mulligans, dehydrated carp, and so on. Buff the weaker gear to bring it in line with adrenals/holoparasites - a traitor shouldn't have to buy a bunch of combat gear just to survive, because that always leads to lube-esword (etc) killstreaks.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152671

TheNightingale wrote:Facilitating murder sprees isn't a good thing. If we want to encourage traitors to be fun, don't give them more TC to spend on combat gear, reduce the costs of non-combat gear and add more interesting gadgets. Storage implants, Mulligans, dehydrated carp, and so on. Buff the weaker gear to bring it in line with adrenals/holoparasites - a traitor shouldn't have to buy a bunch of combat gear just to survive, because that always leads to lube-esword (etc) killstreaks.
Yes it's a good thing, traitors murder less than ever and it is boring as hell.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #152686

We've kind of developed ourselves into a corner where it is often easier to kill fucking everyone than to get away with one murder quietly.

I'll test merge 25tc if you want but I promise it will get old very fast.

I don't think many people think "wow, paranoia, this is exciting!" when certain players would use the same cookie cutter preferred strategy to silently kill as many people as possible 10 rounds in a row. If you make it too dangerous, it becomes just as boring in another way because nobody else is even getting to play anymore.

EDIT: It also feels incredibly shitty to finally land a hit on that guy who just killed 20 people, only for him to hit the "HAHA I IGNORED YOUR ATTACK" button, get up, and end your life with one taser shot.

Clearly this is all HG's fault for nerfing runspeed because have to let people tank stuns instead of dodge them now.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #152692

revert to oldcode 2k16