Balancing amount/power of antags vs. number of sec

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Balancing amount/power of antags vs. number of sec

Post by Amnestik » #153383

Because right now it's a shitshow.

Could even assign players a hidden k/d ratio to further balance sec vs. antags. A step further would be recording ratio per role.
Last edited by Amnestik on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Balancing amount/power of antags vs. number of sec

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #153384

the meaning of this post is lost on me because it swings both ways depending on population
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #153386

As a regular HoS, I think that traitors should become much more powerful if sec is well staffed.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #153391

TechnoAlchemist wrote:the meaning of this post is lost on me because it swings both ways depending on population
What are you missing?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #153424

as regular sec, I think traitors are way too weak overall currently.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #153464

Unless we are going to ensure sec is a coveted and fun position we basically are going to need some sort of scaling off security population for antagonists eventually.

Sure with a decent force they are weak but without anyone to watch them they basically operate with impunity.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #153481

Amnestik wrote:Because right now it's a shitshow.

Could even assign players a hidden k/d ratio to further balance sec vs. antags. A step further would be recording ratio per role.
The problem with this hidden K/D ratio is that it punishes players for being good at the game.
If I'm able to kill the entire sec team as an antagonist, I simply won't be picked if there's two officers.
Punishing players for being good is a bad idea
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #153490

Antagonists have to adapt their strategies with the sec population, of course, these tactics don't work quite as well in some game modes (namely blob, maybe gang)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #153496

Security was never meant to be balanced against antags, and people who think it should be need to be banned under rule 0
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #153498

oranges wrote:Security was never meant to be balanced against antags, and people who think it should be need to be banned under rule 0
Whether you care to admit it or not, security more or less exists to act as the antagonists' primary opposition. Anybody who denies that sec act as antag hunters is denying how the game functions. This isn't BayStation.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #153508

You should be banned under rule 0
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153551

Luke Cox wrote:
oranges wrote:Security was never meant to be balanced against antags, and people who think it should be need to be banned under rule 0
Whether you care to admit it or not, security more or less exists to act as the antagonists' primary opposition. Anybody who denies that sec act as antag hunters is denying how the game functions. This isn't BayStation.
it's true, but they're not supposed to be in perfect balance
this game was never meant to be balanced
it's okay for security to lose believe it or not
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #153561

And I enjoy it.
I like losing as sec and being hunted down to the last man by revolutionaries, because I end up dying in a fun way.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #153571

From an antag advantage point of view, everything is 500% more enjoyable when comm are down, and/or no AI.

When you don't have to worry about some guy calling out/eye in the sky seeing you, and calling down 5 officer and 20 validhunters, + AI bolting everything around you, it's just so much more enjoyable.

If powersinks didn't give off light they'd basically be awesome.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153572

Helios wrote:And I enjoy it.
I like losing as sec and being hunted down to the last man by revolutionaries, because I end up dying in a fun way.
!!!this!!!
one of my favorite things is being CMO in a rev round. you're the easy target, you're outclassed by every rev and their mother, and the struggle for survival against all odds (AKA when the game is unbalanced and not in your favor) is some of the most fun you can have in the game, even if it does end with me dead in some dark maintenance corner 99 out of 100 times.

what's better is the 1 out of 100 times where i do survive and bring the round back on my own. the fact that the odds are so low just makes it all the sweeter.

an unbalanced game is a good one in this scenario, and a lot of zilenans people on these forums don't seem to understand that.
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #153583

I don't mine losing as security but being the only officer paroling them streets is pretty sad.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #153585

>SS13
>Not a shitshow

Pick one
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #154965

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
it's true, but they're not supposed to be in perfect balance
this game was never meant to be balanced
it's okay for security to lose believe it or not

In my view, the possibility of security losing to antags is an example of balance. A security force that never lost would be a great example of terrible balance. Things will never be perfectly balanced in ss13, and they shouldn't be, but that doesn't mean striving for balance can't make the game much , much better in certain situations. Just like this one.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #154966

The biggest problem I'm seeing is more a lack of Security players to begin with, this just leads to inane situations where there's almost no one in a position of authority to counter or offer even a token resistance to antagonists.

Of course failing security population has always been a issue.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #154967

Don't sacrifice Fun on the altar of !!BALANCE!!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #155064

Steelpoint wrote:The biggest problem I'm seeing is more a lack of Security players to begin with, this just leads to inane situations where there's almost no one in a position of authority to counter or offer even a token resistance to antagonists.

Of course failing security population has always been a issue.
antags have to exist to drive the round (see: shitty stale extended rounds where no admins are on)
security is technically optional
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #155120

Security are optional but you'll find things go one sided fast when things like the armoury are unbarred and unguarded and there's no one with the tools to not even investigate crimes let alone catch the perps, not when they're carying the armoury.
Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Post by Cayce » #155122

Maybe we could give Antags more TC if there's more security or a higher population for the round?

Hell, why not replenishing TC based on time alive? After an half an hour real time and you're still alive, you get 10 extra TC, and so on?
It would reward Antags for staying alive longer and give them more chances to make the round interesting.
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #155123

Kwisatz wrote:Maybe we could give Antags more TC if there's more security or a higher population for the round?

Hell, why not replenishing TC based on time alive? After an half an hour real time and you're still alive, you get 10 extra TC, and so on?
It would reward Antags for staying alive longer and give them more chances to make the round interesting.
Or traitors will be take ages to reveal themselves because the longer they wait, the more TC they have and the less likely it is that people are awake (ie not-braindead) enough to stop them.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #155124

I feel like that would encourage hiding and playing it safe to have a chance at more tc/more murderdick shuttle recalling
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #155134

Allow turning in objectives through bluespace or something for some TC kickbacks and a new objective

The real issue is definitely lack of security though

I get burned out from playing officer after 2-3 rounds at most
Being a lootbag for the first person to buy an ebow isn't really fun tbh, and in lowpop being the ONLY sec is fucking awful and I wouldn't wish that on anyone
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #155136

NPC NT Private Security at round start when?

But being serious ask anyone playing Sec and it's not uncommon for them to spend several rounds observing after playing the role, and good luck filling up the Sec team mid round when there's no one already in sec. No one wants to deal with the hell of a unguarded brig after 10 or so minutes.
Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Post by Cayce » #155139

>Allow turning in objectives through bluespace or something for some TC kickbacks and a new objective

I like this a lot. But add more low level objectives to traitors, things that can be done fairly easily alongside the main objective.
Something like "Collect and bluespace transfer a fully charged RCD' or 'Bluespace transfer a toolbelt with a screwdriver, wrench, and crowbar in it'.
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #155140

If we gave traitors a way to increase the amount of TCs they could get we would HAVE to make it so that murderboning is not allowed. Otherwise they would run around with infinite adrenals and ebows every round and kill everyone, reducing the system to being, "wait a little bit, kill everyone 100% more efficiently later"

As far as sec numbers go, the main reason I never play any sec but detective is because I never feel powerful. I never feel like I have true ease at killing greytiders or antagonists, making the entire thing just a boring chore. With the detective that issue is abated somewhat because you have your revolver that is quite good at killing things. If security had standardized laser pistols (20 burn) with a lot of ammo in mass quantities I'd play them more. This would be fine balance-wise as well since the large majority of antags have ways to negate these laser guns, heal off the damage done, or even steal them for themselves, making armory raids a thing you do not just out of luxury but as a necessity if you want to neuter security.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #155144

Steelpoint wrote:NPC NT Private Security at round start when?

But being serious ask anyone playing Sec and it's not uncommon for them to spend several rounds observing after playing the role, and good luck filling up the Sec team mid round when there's no one already in sec. No one wants to deal with the hell of a unguarded brig after 10 or so minutes.

I play low pop sec often and it's not that bad. When shit goes down I just hunker down somewhere and become a neutral nation