Demon gamemode. It's nearing completion, and I want input.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Demon gamemode. It's nearing completion, and I want inp

Post by DemonFiren » #159733

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheimon wrote:
lumipharon wrote:Just make the lawyer cancelling the devil's contract bind their soul instead to the corporation -giving them psuedo antag like abductees, with objectives to do corporate things/slave to the company/etc.
The soul is already bound to the corporation. Being hit with your employment contract just reminds you of that, and through a highly classified process also revokes any contracts made after the fact that go against the original employment one.

If the lawyer could give out pseudo antag to literally everyone on the station it'd be a bit silly.
It would be kinda fun to have organics slaved to Corporate.
For a round. One round. Only.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #160078

I think that keeping your powers while loosing the downsides (perma-death) is an obvious problem. Clearly if the contract is null and void, so to are any of the boons or benefits of it. The downside of perma-death is pretty fair though, I like it.

I wish there were more interesting ways to remove demon contracts, perhaps by stealing the contract back and bringing it to the lawyer? Having a single place and a single way to do it seems limiting but maybe it'll be fine.

I also think you can make a lot of your RP-only conditions on the demon enforceable with mechanics which I think would be better. We used to have vampires being burnt by the chapel so why not demons? And what if a demon literally couldn't attack females or males or humans or lizards? I feel like the mechanics will make it harder to abuse and more fun to play for other people.

Having a separate class of mini-antag for the game mode in addition to the contract holders might be too chaotic and complex. People love to jump on the antag train and why would you take a power you can't use for antag shenanigans over one where you can? I think that the sintouched might be a step too far. Contracts are already plenty enticing and we don't need more ways for people to murderbone without RP. Contracts provide good, interesting ways for conflict but sintouched is a little bland I think.

Also for powers, can we get a simple mob summon of a "Hell Hound" or something? I love the idea of a devil unable to harm a contract holder, summoning some beast to do it for him.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #160269

Sintouched can't murderbone. They HAVE to do their objective.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #160309

There is no way in hell (heh) that forced objectives will work. Our player base is used to optional objectives and people getting banned for not doing them won't make anyone happy.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #160316

Then they can suck it up because this is how it's going to be.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #160329

Well I've seen abductees with objectives like "eat all the food" go raid the armory and murderbone everything with no repercussions, so it's really a dangerous terrain here
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #160338

You would basically need to have hard coded repercussions for not doing their objectives like death of momentary paralysis to force them to do objectives. Which also involves putting mid round ways to track objectives.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #160343

Or just ban the shits that decide to throw their mandatory objectives out the window for an excuse to murderbone.

if it literally states the objectives are mandatory when given them and they still go 'lol fuck you free antag status' then there's no reason to let them keep playing here.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #160418

I think the objectives don't necessarily need to be "You must do this" and instead should be "You can do antagonistic things in direct pursuit of this, and at no other times. If you don't wanna do it, or wanna do something else, you don't get antag rule exemptions."
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #160445

I have said it before, but blanket antag exception is fucking garbage. Most antags should be able to do whatever they want, but if I see someone going on a murderdick spree because an alien told them to eat all the food I will intervene
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #160505

Wyzack wrote:I have said it before, but blanket antag exception is fucking garbage. Most antags should be able to do whatever they want, but if I see someone going on a murderdick spree because an alien told them to eat all the food I will intervene
We would be in agreement here. Or, at the very least, there ought to be a difference between "I have objectives" and "I am an antagonist."
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #160518

I thought it was already the case that abductees and the like don't have the same freedom as normal antags (ie: if their objective is steal the RD's brain or something, then killing the RD to do so is ok, not murderboning)?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #160522

Well abductees are a grey area because some objectives might be murderbonish (es. don't allow anyone to be cloned)
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #160573

Nah, it's policy that abductees strictly cannot murderbone. Though yeah objectives not-withstanding even though nobody follows them anyways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

pidey
Byond Username: Lordpidey

Post by pidey » #160989

Incomptinence wrote:You would basically need to have hard coded repercussions for not doing their objectives like death of momentary paralysis to force them to do objectives. Which also involves putting mid round ways to track objectives.

Hmm, one of the objectives already has a mechanical effect.

Acedia, which is "Angels, demons, good, evil... who cares? Just ignore any demonic threats and do your job." makes you incapable of using the demonomicon. Perhaps I should add other mechanical effects?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #161250

Now that the faithless/wish granter vault spawns in the mine/lavaland, put a slab with the demon's true name in the last room (heavy dorf fortress reference)

or even better, add a random room in the mine containing eerie stuff that when used spawn a demon on station (thus triggering the mode/event, just like the room with the facehugger).
pidey
Byond Username: Lordpidey

Post by pidey » #165764

Hello, another test of demon was run. And I've gotten some good feedback about it.

Infinite slaughter demons are too much, even as a round ender. Make a less powerful simple mob imp, and have those spawn instead.

Arch demon isn't on the orbit list.

Pitchfork is missing the on-ground icon.

Kilkun was kind enough to offer to draw new sprites.

For some reason, resurrection didn't work as an arch demon. Even still though, it was enough.

Resurrection of true and arch demons doesn't work when the body is gibbed. Possibly other times too.

Infernal Jaunt leaves after-images. It shouldn't.
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #168717

Had the chance to be a demon, have some feedback.
  • The round was particularly busy, so getting people to stop and listen was a bit of a hassle. Probably more so related to the malf AI fucking with things than anything else really.
  • The demons need a way of knowing what they're giving away with the contracts, this might just work as a list on the demon wiki page but an in-game way of finding out would be nice too. I only found out about the ones I didn't end up giving away by reading through the comments on the github PR.
  • There are times where you'll try to get someone to sign, be it a corpse or a crewmember and they decide to not do it at the last moment. You're now stuck with a contract that has your name on it. A way to get rid of these unsigned contracts would help make things a bit easier and less prone to inventory clutter. (Folders work, but still)
  • Perhaps the little whisper message should be done when the actual contract spawning is done, instead of when you select a target.
Ended up getting only two contracts signed, so I didn't see any of the other stuff.