Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg [PR now up]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Re: Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg

Post by DanielRatherman » #165142

Bottom post of the previous page:

Could do both as skins yes?
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #165153

DanielRatherman wrote:Could do both as skins yes?
They look pretty different. Not sure if people would be okay with that.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #165204

White egg looks good.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #165214

PKPenguin321 wrote:i still believe the game would be better off without these or any variation of them, at least until borgs are given more weaknesses
What more could you ask for in weaknesses? Flashes, Laser pointers, EMPs, LAWS, an entire fucking console dedicated to LOCKING THEM DOWN AND BLOWING THEM UP.

Believe me, I wish I had a console that I could use to blow up a shitcurity member if he was toeing the line to much.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #165215

Davidchan wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:i still believe the game would be better off without these or any variation of them, at least until borgs are given more weaknesses
What more could you ask for in weaknesses? Flashes, Laser pointers, EMPs, LAWS, an entire fucking console dedicated to LOCKING THEM DOWN AND BLOWING THEM UP.
How about some sort of gun that instantly kil-oh.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #165217

hey guys don't forget burn+brute damage fucking them up until someone who cares repairs them, an engineering borg repairs them, or they spend 10 hours in a recharger
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #165218

Luke Cox wrote:
DanielRatherman wrote:Could do both as skins yes?
They look pretty different. Not sure if people would be okay with that.
If memory serves, we used to, waaaay back in the day, have (at least) two different security borg skins that looked wildly different--a humanoid Robocop-like skin and something closer to the current for-God's-sake-don't-look-too-close-at-it design. Then again, I could just be senile.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #165224

Pink-ish egg is literally the best thing ever.

It looks like it'd be a good friend if you're a Good Worker.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #165238

Luke Cox wrote: As for the sprite, some people were suggesting a more officer-looking sprite, so I thought it was serious.
It's uh, pretty clearly a deathsquad robot, with the black everywhere and the red highlights and the massive pulse cannon arms. (I guess those are more obvious on the side sprite)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #165241

A deathsquad cyborg module (for deathsquads only) would actually be pretty cool. Burst-fire pulse rifles and flash immunity, maybe.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #165243

TheNightingale wrote:A deathsquad cyborg module (for deathsquads only) would actually be pretty cool. Burst-fire pulse rifles and flash immunity, maybe.
I certainly didn't code it because I was bored. (Burst-fire energy weapons are apparently impossible right now without a minor refactoring of guncode)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #165282

Status update.

Modules that I have coded:
-Flash
-Holotape Dispenser
-Sedative Injector

Modules that I have not coded, but I have a solid idea of how to code:
-Bola launcher
-Cookie Dispenser

Modules that I have not coded and will need to visit the coderbus to proceed with:
-HARM ALARM

At the moment, if emagged, it gains a poison injector that can inject Aranesp, Mindbreaker Toxin, or Unstable Mutagen.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165287

Sweet. The cookie dispenser should be a breeze. Bola launcher could be a little challenging, but it sounds like you have a plan in mind. Would it be possible to give the launcher a cooldown similar to the shaft miner's kinetic accelerator? PK has a point, this could be overpowered if not balanced properly.

Did you go with the hypospray sedative injector, or is it a syringe? Also, I was thinking the emagged version should inject chloral, venom, or something deadlier.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #165290

The sedative injector is a hypo. It does not work through hardsuits, biosuits, or similar clothing.

Firing delay is a pretty simple var for energy weapons. Shouldn't be any issue to increase it.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165297

If the harm alarm ends up being a pain to code, don't bother. We'll be good to go with the bola launcher.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165304

Davidchan wrote:

Believe me, I wish I had a console that I could use to blow up a shitcurity member if he was toeing the line to much.
you are exaggerating those weaknesses. time and time again i have posted why those weaknesses are not as exploitable as they seem to be, especially not with secborgs, which were removed.

one weakness off the top of my head which would be nice very very nice would be slowing down with damage. and maybe make their modules shut off much more quickly.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165321

Or make them like mechs and have it so they roll around uncontrollably while also slowing down and having their modules get disabled.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165339

I wonder how we dealt with borgs back in the days before AoE stun from flashbangs, when EMPs were traitor only, and laser pointers didn't exist.

When the only counters were direct flashes and the robo console (which would've been dismantled.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165341

Everybody carried flashes though because they had actual use.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165344

I still carry two flashes in case of rogue borgs.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165347

Back on topic, I think we've more or less all settled on the egg sprite, and soft pink seems to be more popular than white. Between the sprites and the progress on the code, it's very exciting to see this coming together.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #165429

Will it actually be able to do some melee so it isn't carps = gg?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165432

We could let it wack stuff with the bola launcher like you can lasers
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #165464

You could just give it a stunbaton again. It's a melee weapon to use against carps (or when subverted), and lets the borg stun harm-causers to break up fights.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #165465

Oh god not a stun baton that sounds invincible.

Just imagine you go to basically old parasting+ it with your extremely rare iconic flash only shipped with the space station 13 special edition box set and it taps you first (because it is a power gamer bad player should be banned for being borg in first place yo) with the infinite charge stun baton and the limitless energy within it causes a new big bang and then you get red text.
Jike
Byond Username: Jike

Post by Jike » #165514

I'm glad that people liked my egg form idea, here are a few more aesthetic and miscellaneous suggestions:

- It might be harder to code that way, but to avoid abuse, the harm alarm could be only usable when people are actually harming each other, as it is a fairly strong AoE tool
- I would imagine the harm alarm to sound like a long, loud, high pitched "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm!!!"
- Instead of petting the peacekeeper borg, you would hug it, but not to make them feel better, instead to calm yourself down.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #165522

I think it shouldn't have melee actually. Not every borg has a counter to every problem. Engieborgs don't have plasteel, mediborgs don't have defibs, janiborgs don't have mops that they can actually fucking use without human intervention, standards don't have anything useful other than stunbatons. Should borgs really be able to solve every problem possible related to their job? Because if we give the peacekeeper borg a stun baton, we might want to extend that logic to other borgs.

Anyway, I thought that a big part of this borg was the very conscious lack of a hard stun, so stun batons would be silly.
Jike wrote:I'm glad that people liked my egg form idea, here are a few more aesthetic and miscellaneous suggestions:

- It might be harder to code that way, but to avoid abuse, the harm alarm could be only usable when people are actually harming each other, as it is a fairly strong AoE tool
- I would imagine the harm alarm to sound like a long, loud, high pitched "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm!!!"
- Instead of petting the peacekeeper borg, you would hug it, but not to make them feel better, instead to calm yourself down.
That reminds me. The HARM ALARM is supposed to be an AOE flashbang kinda thing, right? Don't you feel that's a little unnecessary? I feel like we should trash that idea and instead have a module that does little more than shout HARM! HARM! HARM! and plays the blaring alarm sound effect. Like secborgs had the sec hailers, but this time less...menacing.
Ooooh oooh, or maybe the sechailer-esque alarm can spit out mantras of kindness and harmlessness in calming pink letters.
Spoiler:
You can't wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug
Hug Department: Always Open
Arm up for hugging, not for war
A hug is a handshake from the heart
A hug is worth a thousand words
A hug is like a bandage to a hurting wound
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165523

Harm alarm for emagged module, then.
I am not letting go of my shitty idea.
(I did say it should drain a fuckton of energy, though.)
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #165539

My sleep-deprived brain just farted out the idea that it should have a built-in heater, so that it's warm when you hug it.

Then that lead to an idea for a module that actually emits heat, but that's more appropriate for an engi or medborg.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #165563

AI needs something to stop murderboning Captains.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165579

Topham wrote:stuff
Now that I think about it, he's right. The harm alarm could be a tad overkill with all the other modules, especially the bola launcher. We should make it like the security mask, where it just makes the borg scream "harm" really loudly, complete with a horrified shriek sound effect.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #165583

That makes this pretty easy, then. I just need to:
-Figure out how to get new sprites in (presumably not difficult, just not something I've had occasion to do before.)
-Finish the bola launcher
-Code the Harm Alarm (Not at all difficult to code, I can just make it a child of sec hailers and swap out the phraselist)
-Test shit
-Fix any bugs

With luck I can get it done this weekend.
Last edited by Drynwyn on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #165591

Lumbermancer wrote:AI needs something to stop murderboning Captains.
I'm still a big fan of the riot foam launcher idea, but sadly I have no aptitude to make that a reality.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165598

Drynwyn wrote:That makes this pretty easy, then. I just need to:
-Figure out how to get new sprites in (presumably not difficult, just not something I've had occasion to do before.)
-Finish the bola launcher
-Code the Harm Alarm (Not at all difficult to code, I can just make it a child of sec hailers and swap out the phraselist)
-Test shit
-Fix any bugs

With luck I can get it done this weekend.
We're still waiting on Daniel for the remaining egg style sprites, which is what we decided to go with.
Jike
Byond Username: Jike

Post by Jike » #165608

Hugging the borg should definitely give the player fuzzy/happy/comfy feelings.

If we are going for safety egg, I might already have an Idea on how the module change animation could be like.

The borg would first adjust it's wheels to be like the safekeeper's and color them, meanwhile, it would start producing a fabric that goes all around the main body and then would inflate, making the soft egg shape, finally, a hole is opened on the front for the eye. As the borg is huggable, it makes sense for it to be covered in a soft material, it would be like the robot from big hero 6
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165612

EndgamerAzari wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:AI needs something to stop murderboning Captains.
I'm still a big fan of the riot foam launcher idea, but sadly I have no aptitude to make that a reality.
Just make it shit out metal foam.

There! Now it has a tool thats useful for more than just preventing people fighting.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165675

reminder that the harm alarm was literally a joke idea and luke cux is trying to make it real
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165690

PKPenguin321 wrote:reminder that the harm alarm was literally a joke idea and luke cux is trying to make it real
I though that it would be a good riot control tool at first since it since the riot grenades weren't happening. Just because something starts as a joke idea doesn't mean it can't be viable in some form. This thread was originally going to be a shitpost directed at the anti-secborg crowd until I realized halfway through typing it that it could actually be a viable compromise between the two camps.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #165794

I like the egg borg a lot better then the creepy armored one, tbh. The bright blue creeper just doesn't fit the game's theme, and too human looking whereas all the other borgs are distinctly nonhuman, bar Service.

Can modules actually be coded to change when hacked? Honestly I think it just needs a module that is a bit more extreme when hacked. The base borg has absolutely no damage-dealing modules, so it'd need to be something with direct damage and/or an effective disable, like an esword or the stun arm.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #165802

How about since they are eggs their hacked module is to try and roll over people a bit like a mulebot but more obvious because their sprite will be spinning nonstop with the module ready. Maybe require a rev up time before it works so it isn't a better harm baton.

Suitably rogue application of a rounded around the edges safety obsessed design and a funny combo with the bolas. Also they can just use the flip emote for japes.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #165839

i like the creepy hugbot more than the eggy
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165842

For Tonto's sake we need to go with the love egg

And yes, it needs to be pink:
Fonedsky
Byond Username: FonedSky

Post by Fonedsky » #165852

Malkevin wrote:For Tonto's sake we need to go with the love egg

And yes, it needs to be pink:
i didn't support love egg but you made me
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165871

Holy shit I hadn't even considered that
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #166059

Update: Bola launcher is theoretically finished but untested. Just need to code the harm alarm and cookie dispenser.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #166104

Perfect. Don't worry about the sprites, I'm pretty sure Daniel has those covered. Just have to wait for him to finish the egg version.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #166107

Drynwyn wrote:Update: Bola launcher is theoretically finished but untested. Just need to code the harm alarm and cookie dispenser.
I hope bolas are made of zipties and not reusable.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Eaglendia
Byond Username: Eaglendia

Post by Eaglendia » #166109

I'm still in support of the zipcuff dispenser - you could even make it a child of the service borg's RSF. The sedative injector just seems like a good way to overdose people on morphine, which isn't fun for anyone involved - additionally, it seems like a horrible measure for peacekeeping (when someone injects me with something against my will I pretty much just want to kill them, and sedatives don't take effect instantly so it can't really stop fighting).

Also, what if emagging this thing just gave it a regular cyborg taser?
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Millian MacTavish • Braids Grenades • Eliott Graves • Tyrell Stone
In-game trialmin; certified boomer.
Be rational, be responsible, and be excellent to eachother.
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Trialmin ReviewAlways better, never perfect.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #166112

@Lumbermancer: The reason they're energy-based is so that they're not reusable or exploitable
@ Eaglendia: Morphine injector would be total bullshit. Don't worry, the sedative used only makes you dizzy and does not cause OD. Zipcuff dispenser goes against the no-sec-association rule
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #166116

Why do we even have a "no Sec association" rule for the peacekeeper? Security's job on the station is literally to keep the peace; Sec gear (stuns, restraints) is designed exclusively to nonharmfully detain people.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #166119

The big problem people had with the old secborg was that they would validhunt instead of following their laws, even if law 2 required them to let criminals go