Can people carry too much stuff?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Can people carry too much stuff?

Post by onleavedontatme » #164838

You could always fit quite a few things in your bag, and you can easily carry more than ever with belts, using containers inside containers, and your bag "expanding" to allow many smaller objects. I can easily cram half the armory+a medkit+a small buildings worth of materials into my backpack right now.

Is this a good thing?

I think less inventory space would

-encourage choices about what is worth carrying

-more importantly force cooperation and interaction. You carry the extra ammo, your friend carries the medical supplies.

But I am also worried that it'd simply frustrate people and cause anger about nerfs.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Can people carry too much stuff?

Post by Zilenan91 » #164840

Nah

After playing on servers without our backpack changes it's awful. For some jobs it's more convenient to hold a bunch of tiny shit in your bag so you don't have to put it all on the floor like a pleb. Bartender comes to mind.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #164841

Aren't these inventory changes recent? Wouldn't this undo the whole point of the inventory updates?
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164847

i think the amount one man can carry is usually fine. can't think of many scenarios off the top of my head where it made the round overall worse.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #164849

The bag expanding to hold tiny things is a nice change, but some objects could use their w_class increased some.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #164856

wow kor go ahead nerf inventory again so the only people carrying anything are scientists with their Bags of Holding

why don't you just remove every job class but science since they need to have everything you fucking lemon
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164871

I think it'd be hard to point to specific incidents of a person carrying too much being bad for a particular round (other than one guy being able to steal the whole armory maybe) but I think it's part of the same "quality of life" trend that has let everyone be a one man army.

And I think nobody ever having to rely on anyone else is a negative in a multiplayer game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #164875

The change to let you carry lots of small shit is fine, as that's purely a QOL change, as it was already possible via lots of boxes and shit.
Giving every hardsuit inbuilt jetpacks etc however, is not good.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #164879

Kor wrote:-more importantly force cooperation and interaction. You carry the extra ammo, your friend carries the medical supplies.
Isn't the whole meme of the month about being paranoid? After all, the whole point is how you can't trust anyone.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164880

The small items thing is one of the best changes in recent memory

DON'T FUCK WITH GOOD THINGS
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #164890

lzimann wrote:
Kor wrote:-more importantly force cooperation and interaction. You carry the extra ammo, your friend carries the medical supplies.
Isn't the whole meme of the month about being paranoid? After all, the whole point is how you can't trust anyone.
Yeah exactly, you can't trust people, but you're forced to work with them.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #164900

Pretty much.
If you can't trust anyone but don't need to ever rely on them, then there's no paranoia.
If you have to trust a guy to stick you in a cryotube where you're completely at their mercy, that requires trust, which means you can have the lack of it, but the need to do so anyway creates paranoia.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #164902

so now i need to rely on other people to do everything? why don't you just start greyshits chained to another person to be their personal loot mule, allow me to whip and abuse my porter for laughs
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #164907

you gotta remember, we are playing a 2d spaceman simulator on a shitty 2000-era engine, the graphics, game systems, and core mechanics are all clunky and slow, compared to a game like ARMA or CoD.

incorperating realistic mechanics like inventory space would best done using a tetris system if your going to fuck with people not being able to carry the entire armory, untill you or someone else believes beyond is completely capable of such a task, fucking with core mechanics is stupid and a bad idea just because you played warden and got your armory fucking kek'd by a engineer in a space suit.

hell, have you ever considered that energy guns and laser guns might not be all that heavy?

EDIT:

also, side note; relying on other people at any time ever, in a game as clunky as this, is going to create more reliance on the RNG system, or how good the server is running, as opposed to players preparing ahead of time, or knowing game mechanics. which is a fucking cancer and should never happen.

IE:
-with the change
John is a traitor, john wants to steal the entire armory, john is a engineer, john breaches the armory through space, he goes and loads all he can carry into a backpack, he is carrying two backpacks in his hands, one of them is loaded with guns, he throws the backpack out into space to his buddy joe, who was standing there, he misclicks and hits the wall instead of the hole in space, just as he does this security breaches in and fucking kek's him and his partner has to escape with the bag by going inside and avoiding a shit storm of taser bolts (which we all know isn't going to happen realisitically, and he's just going to get cucked by the glorious golden bolt)

-without the change
John breaks into the armory, is wearing one backpack and carrying another, loads all the guns up into both his backpacks with extreme efficency, then leaves, without having to deal with getting cucked by security, relying on having to throw shit, relying on if the security officers aim is good, relying on if space wind hasen't already decompressed the entire room, relying if the AI hasen't already detected a atmos alarm. He can just take the shit and leave. But if a competent warden was watching the armory, he'd get cucked as previously mentioned due to the wardens ABILITY, not the ability of RNGesus.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #164915

John_Oxford wrote:incorperating realistic mechanics like inventory space would best done using a tetris system
Despite needing to be a complete and holy fuck ridiculous rewrite of everything ever, that sounds kinda cool.

John_Oxford wrote:also, side note; relying on other people at any time ever, in a game as clunky as this, is going to create more reliance on the RNG system
You what?
RNG has nothing to do with anything here.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #164918

I don't think anyone wants to undo the QoL change of having more available slots for small things. I think what's at stake is just how much stuff you can store in a backpack to begin with. Instead of 21 available w_class of stuff, maybe it becomes 15 (5 w_class 3 items) or whatever.

Or maybe the system as a whole is overhauled. Or nothing happens. But absolutely nobody is talking about going back to how things were.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #164935

Inventory tetris sounds nice.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164937

Having a Neo Scavenger inventory system would be awful. Holy fucking shit it'd need, just off the top, inventory sprites and shapes for every item, to say nothing of the code needed for it or the time it'd take away from playing the game and scare away newbies.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #164944

I find myself having to constantly juggle what I keep in my inventory and reevaluate what exactly I need to best survive as is, I don't think it really needs a redesign
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #164953

If we had a Neo Scavanger system it would turn into everyone carting around a old shopping cart full of goods.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164963

We already basically have that in lockers, except lockers are more robust because OH SHIT GUNFIGHT I'LL JUST HIDE BEHIND MY LOCKER FOR COVER
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #164969

In general I think people can carry a little too much, with exception of engineers (doin' repairs, fucker? rods, metal sheets, glass sheets, r-metal sheets, airlock electronics, apc electronics...) and the detective.
The biggest storage issues though are:
Gunbackpacks. Someone looting the entire armory in one go sucks, and carrying around 7 guns is cheesy as hell.
Weird box shenanigans. Putting a toolkit in my backpack takes almost all my space, but putting the tools in the box and putting the box in there leaves plenty of room. It's just badly designed.
lzimann wrote:
Paranoia requires cooperation to work in ss13. If you have paranoia without the need for teamwork, then you just do everything yourself and tell other people (who might kill you) to fuck off.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164976

Cheridan wrote:Paranoia requires cooperation to work in ss13. If you have paranoia without the need for teamwork, then you just do everything yourself and tell other people (who might kill you) to fuck off.
ideally you can still tell other people to fuck off and go solo, but at a massive disadvantage to yourself
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #165020

In my experiences as Warden/sec I never really was able to carry around more than 2-3 guns just because there's so much other shit that comes up for you to grab. Carrying 7 guns is pointless because you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to stop by a recharger/get killed by the time you empty your second or maybe third gun
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #165021

If your goal is to just steal the armoury then a backpack will suffice.

If your goal is to intelligently use armoury weapons then your going to be more limited, this is more so for Security as half your inventory can be spent on sec items before you get to the guns.

I don't think we need to be restricting backpack space. The backpack is one of the few things that virtually every job and antagonist needs to use, the last thing we need are one hundred different variations of the backpack each specially balanced out for that job role, a operative backpack to a medical backpack, a wizard backpack to a botanist backpack.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #166458

am i the only one that has to juggle their inventory as is? am i just a hoarder?
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #166466

Topham wrote:am i the only one that has to juggle their inventory as is? am i just a hoarder?
You're not the only one. I find myself having to constantly shift my inventory around, especially as security and detective.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G