Warpgate or Portable Gateway

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Warpgate or Portable Gateway

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167335

Essentially for nobody who's ever seen a episode or any iteration of stargate or cannot comprehend the idea of one place being a portal to another this idea basically covers instantaneous travel across a large expanse of space in a instant through a medium using timey-wimey wormhole shit. Its basically a miniature version of the initial gateway we have on the station which connects to another port of call.

> Using the bluespace gun code as a basis if people want to be lazy, this machine allows people to walk within in and emerge to the other side instantaneously but is wrenched in to a particular place as static fixture, and is a machine that can be modified.

> Both ends of a 2 way portable gateway rely on bluespace crystals and will notify the jumper as to how much consumption of crystals is used, each jump will eat a hearty amount of power additionally. Living things consume much less power and bluespace gem usage (sending in a crate is heavily recommended to cut down on cost as each item will be considered)

> Theoretically you could use it to cut costs on shuttles and instantaneously travel between places without relying on often dangerous and innacurate telescience (which would be the science of teleporting someone to a co-ordinate, rather than wormholing out)

> Emagging it will make it take on the harm potential of a Wormhole Jaunter

The gateways themselves can be connected via a common signal and each carries its own individual signal for conventional teleporter arrays, so basically you could activate both ends of gateway with a remote device or shut one off and switch it with a click of a button. interfacing with the wormhole will show you data such as where it's going, its personal teleportation address and whether the link is active.

Envisioned build quota
3 manips
2 matter bins
1 Analyzer
6 lasers *because to project the bluespace wormhole with 3 ends of the frame*
20 cable coil
2 console screens *to project on either end*
3 bluespace crystals
Inb4 lubed hallways leading to portals with gibbers on the receiving end and concurrent accidents involving greyshitters/simple mobs jumping between ends and wasting all the crystals meaning respectable people get stranded in nowhere.

Port Event Horizon with our clandestine portal to literal hell z level here we come.

Spoiler:
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Re: Warpgate or Portable Gateway

Post by Jazaen » #167343

Couldn't you do just that with two teleporters, consoles hidden behind wall, linked to beacons close to them? (Well, calibration is still a problem, but you could code a teleporter without it.)
I am all in for backpack-sized telegates that you could set up at places with no power(as in, remove backpack, place on the ground, set up), since this would make lavaland bases other than those right by the outpost easier to maintain.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167366

Jazaen wrote:Couldn't you do just that with two teleporters, consoles hidden behind wall, linked to beacons close to them? (Well, calibration is still a problem, but you could code a teleporter without it.)
I am all in for backpack-sized telegates that you could set up at places with no power(as in, remove backpack, place on the ground, set up), since this would make lavaland bases other than those right by the outpost easier to maintain.
I was thinking of it being a machine based thing so that the UI could be interacted with rather than a backpack object, a bluespace disposals if you will where things can pop out at other things if tagged correctly.

Teleporters are lame, though your suggestion to give it a limited 'insert battery here' charge when not drawing off a APC is ok i guess. Just drag it with you or take the parts if you want it to be portable, like a chem dispenser.

Just for clarity, this is not teleporter, it may function like one for linear A to B transportation and back, but it can't direct the location of where it's going other than through a signal or a quite deliberate interfacing with a teleport rig. Teleporters could connect to the warpgate if they interfaced correctly easily, but without a lot of manual configuration (walking up to a teleporter and putting in data) you can't set anything up from the warpgates end alone, and if you dont know the signals you might end up going somewhere completely different by accident resulting in probably some bad shit. (If badmins screw around and put inactive portable portals in random places it could lead to fun results)

This is wormhole technology, not strictly teleporter technology. It is distinct though they use a similar system.

(EDIT - I didn't put a circuit board or commit to naming particular R&D levels because im undecided on balancing and would like to hear the opinions of the board first)

Also for additional fun, having a room dedicated to one way sec portals aligned to tracking beacons sounds like a fun way to screw antags or throw dangerous things through without harm to yourself or being identified.

Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #167403

This sounds fucking amazing if it was a Miner item. Miners could get one with a voucher or buy one in the vendor and go to explore space and put gateways linking the station and space areas with loot or other shit so people can cooperatively deal with hard ruins once they're enabled.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #167465

Uh.... you do know that like, teleporters already have a gateway mode, right?
It's literally this suggestion minus the consumption stuff.