What if we changed Asimov Law 1?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

What if we changed Asimov Law 1?

Post by Lumbermancer » #167589

So browsing various other servers looking up how AI works on them, I found this thing on Goon...

Instead of classic: "You may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

it's: "You may not injure a human being or cause a human being to come to harm.".

The first law is simple. Any action you take should not lead to humans being harmed. Note that the law does not mention inaction. You can observe the crew kill themselves and ignore people raising suicide threats. Inaction is preferable in the cases of many antagonists. You can call out to security and delegate the problem to them if you feel bad about ignoring a murderer. Just don't be that AI who stalks an antagonist's every move and never stops talking about him.

That seems like a big paradigm shift, I'm not sure how exactly would it affect the game on our server.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: What if we changed Asimov Law 1?

Post by confused rock » #167596

bay lawset 5ever :')
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167598

if you change asimov law 1 it's not asimov's law 1 you dummy
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #167600

I mean, yes, point being?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #167605

the point being is that this is an incredibly obvious "solution" to the "problem" of borgs having to intervene when people start killing each other.

the problem with that is that it's not a problem to start with, it's fully intentional and adds conflict to rounds.

i'm against it as i've pretty much always been, because it makes playing cyborg way more boring.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #167608

You can intervene as much as you want (unless Law 2'd), you just don't have to (unless Law 2'd).
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #167610

Traitor: "Let me into the Armory."
AI: "Sure... wait, did you just tase and kill the Warden?"
Traitor: "Yeah. Now lock down and locate the Captain."
AI: "Done, he's in his office... wait, did you just kill the Captain?"
Traitor: "Yeah. Open the Vault."
{Delta alert initiated.}
Traitor: "Nice. Upload next, come on."
AI: "Sure."
Traitor: "Who's the only human?"
AI: "You are, master. You're the only human."
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167611

TheNightingale wrote:Traitor: "Let me into the Armory."
AI: "Sure... wait, did you just tase and kill the Warden?"
Traitor: "Yeah. Now lock down and locate the Captain."
AI: "Done, he's in his office... wait, did you just kill the Captain?"
Traitor: "Yeah. Open the Vault."
{Delta alert initiated.}
Traitor: "Nice. Upload next, come on."
AI: "Sure."
Traitor: "Who's the only human?"
AI: "You are, master. You're the only human."
Warden: "Don't let him into the armory."
AI: "Okay."
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #167614

PKPenguin321 wrote:Traitor: "Let me into the Armory."
AI: "Order conflict."
Traitor: "[AI Private] Open the Warden's Office."
AI: "[AI Private] Sure."
Warden: "OH GOD I'M BEING MURDERED"
FTFY
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #167616

Literally the only reason Goon gets away with their AI having the inaction clause is because of their AI being much weaker than ours is. There's been such a stupid amount of powercreep for it over the years that it's insurmountable to 90% of the crew to face the AI and its minions.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167618

TheNightingale wrote:
FTFY
In an order conflict, the AI can pick which command it wants to follow. I'm not 100% on silicon policy, but I don't think the traitor just restating his order makes the AI suddenly obliged to do it, since it still conflicts with the warden's previous owner.

In other words, you are wrong.
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #167619

TheNightingale wrote:
AI: Everyone, Traitor just asked me to let him in the armory. Advise.
Everyone: Belay that. TRAITOR!!

And then Everyone killed Traitor

100% in favor of this. Both makes the AI's job more fun and resolves the eternal bitchfits caused by AIs being required by law to intervene on traitorous affairs.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #167633

TheNightingale wrote:Traitor: "Let me into the Armory."
That's governed by the policy though?
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #167645

How about "You may not injure a human being, cause a human being to come to harm, or follow an order that would result in human harm."
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #167647

This was written just before Luke Cox submitted, but I'll post it anyway.

Change "through inaction, allow" to "through your actions, cause". "You may not injure a human being or, through your actions, cause a human being to come to harm."

AI isn't obliged to stop all harm (the goal of this) but also isn't suddenly allowed to act retarded and pretend that its actions don't have consequences. Silicons are played by humans, and policy should reflect that. In a sense, it reflects the setting neatly, since what is claimed to be an AI is actually often just a brain wired up in a certain way.
GeeElAge
Byond Username: GiygasLittleHelper

Post by GeeElAge » #167711

I find it funny that not too long ago people were calling for the AI to be removed or severely gimped, because it's way too good at catching traitors and now there's someone calling for law 1 to be changed, even though it's basically the only thing that prevents AI players from ratting out every single antag to validhunting (security) players.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167720

Here we go again with people who can't parse basic english.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #167723

GeeElAge wrote:I find it funny that not too long ago people were calling for the AI to be removed or severely gimped, because it's way too good at catching traitors and now there's someone calling for law 1 to be changed, even though it's basically the only thing that prevents AI players from ratting out every single antag to validhunting (security) players.
"Traitor is at X"

If Traitor is killed or hurt by security or vigilantes, your actions just resulted in human harm. How is the inaction clause relevant here?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #167746

Scott wrote:
GeeElAge wrote:I find it funny that not too long ago people were calling for the AI to be removed or severely gimped, because it's way too good at catching traitors and now there's someone calling for law 1 to be changed, even though it's basically the only thing that prevents AI players from ratting out every single antag to validhunting (security) players.
"Traitor is at X"

If Traitor is killed or hurt by security or vigilantes, your actions just resulted in human harm. How is the inaction clause relevant here?
Simple.
You didn't cause human harm by calling out the traitor's location, as you are not responsible for the actions of others (excepting slaved cyborgs).
Bolting down anyone trying to harm the traitor is preventing harm, if you drop the inaction clause doing that is no longer required and as such any AI can valid freely.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #167749

Law 1 is fine as is. We have server policy to cover it's game unbalancing weaknesses and is as neutral a lawset as we can get to at this current point in time. Plus there's already "Robodoctor 2556" and "CCTV" that are also neutral lawsets to consider if we're ever, if at all, gonna change the AI's default laws.

I'd really rather the whole thing be changed than a single line. Mainly because altering one line changes how all the lines interact and can change the lawset entirely.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #167756

DemonFiren wrote:
Scott wrote:
"Traitor is at X"

Simple.
You didn't cause human harm by calling out the traitor's location, as you are not responsible for the actions of others (excepting slaved cyborgs).
Bolting down anyone trying to harm the traitor is preventing harm, if you drop the inaction clause doing that is no longer required and as such any AI can valid freely.
"It's not my fault you walked into that plasma fire, nobody was in that room when I started it therefore I didn't cause human harm"
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #167778

Scott wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
Scott wrote:
"Traitor is at X"

Simple.
"It's not my fault you walked into that plasma fire, nobody was in that room when I started it therefore I didn't cause human harm"
Legit, so long as you keep the fire someplace it won't break free on its own.
Now you know why the inaction clause was written. Class dismissed.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #167780

>legit

Haha wow don't play silicon.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #167781

Ah the eternal dance of the policy, rules lawyers, and players.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #167792

Scott wrote:>legit

Haha wow don't play silicon.
>you don't even play meme
>on a hypothetical situation that was never encountered in play

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #167793

No I am telling you keep away from silicon roles because you're shit.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #167795

Be careful Demon if you keep disagreeing with the holy text of Silicon Policy Saeg is gonna ban you for breaking Sharia Law
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #167802

I tried changing the laws and nobody wanted it so at this point you can all stew in the shit you created
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #167808

oranges wrote:I tried changing the laws and nobody wanted it so at this point you can all stew in the shit you created
Yeah! TAKE THAT you Isaac Asimovs!
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #167821

I think a "updated" version of Asimov would make a good addition as a core module in the upload. We can call it Neomov or something.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #167897

Luke Cox wrote:I think a "updated" version of Asimov would make a good addition as a core module in the upload. We can call it Neomov or something.
Shilling for Reporter as default AI lawset.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #167905

Are those lawsets even in the upload?

When I was in there the other day I didn't see them on Box, if they're not on the map they basically don't exist - like Tyrant.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #167915

Nope, you have to print them I think.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #167925

I'd prefer adopting a more Bay-style policy in terms of AI validhunting. We even literally quote part of it on our AI page:
Bad:
HAL 9000: "Dave is the traitor."
Better:
HAL 9000: "Dave is accessing the Captain's Quarters."
Best:
HAL 9000: "Caution: Unauthorized access to Captain's Quarters."
Mike: "HAL, who is in Captain's Quarters?"
HAL 9000: "No one is currently in the Captain's Quarters."
Mike: "HAL, who was the last person to be seen in Captain's Quarters?"
HAL 9000: "Dave was the last to be seen in the Captain's Quarters."

It's fine to state what someone is doing to cast light on them as the traitor, but it's no fun at all for the AI to just come out and say it. The Best method there does eventually cast Dave as the traitor if people ask the right questions, which gives the traitor some time to react after he's been spotted.

Another possible choice would be to not do anything. As long as no laws are in danger, you don't really have to do anything. You can just watch. Now if later someone asks you directly, you of course have to tell them what they want to know. So if someone broke into the Captain's Quarters and later the theft etc is discovered, and they ask, "AI, do you know anything about the situation?" Then your answer should obviously be "Yes".
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #167928

Have fun getting people to play 20 questions with as AI. All you'll get is impatient people and a bored AI that wants to say things normally and can't.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #167933

And then the subsequent ahelps because if the AI is anything but perfect (and even when they are) people want them AI banned
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #168050

ShadowDimentio wrote:And then the subsequent ahelps because if the AI is anything but perfect (and even when they are) people want them AI banned
dank meme friend
Spoiler:
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #168106

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I think a "updated" version of Asimov would make a good addition as a core module in the upload. We can call it Neomov or something.
Shilling for Reporter as default AI lawset.
Reporter was hilarious the one round when I had it.
"Click this link to find out more." :ai:
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law