On-Planet Map

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

On-Planet Map

Post by PKPenguin321 » #169343

Hey howdy, this isn't to announce any project of mine or anything (I'm a terrible mapper), but rather to propose one to other mappers.

There's this idea that's come up a few times about an on-planet map. Instead of being stationed on Space Station 13, it'd be on a normal planet terrain. To keep players from wandering off, ideally there'd be harsh alien life and dangerous terrain on the outskirts of the main base area.

I figure it would look a lot like this:

It would ideally look in-game more like that one snowy away mission, where the different "outposts" (which would serve as different departments) are all separated. Most of the outdoors would effectively be the like station's hallways, only larger and less populated.

Functionally, actual station equipment would work pretty much the same as on-station. You'd still have all the departments and all their gear. Blowing up tiles would reveal craters instead of space, which wouldn't suck you in but are highly hazardous (we could make them instakill you like on lavaland, but that might be too strong). Wiring would be mostly laid out outside, and each department might have to get their own SMES to prevent sabotage from being too simple. The mining shuttle, the emergency shuttle, and escape pods would all work basically the same way: The mining shuttle would take you to a nearby moon/asteroid, and the pods and emergency shuttle would just take you off the planet to a nearby Centcomm outpost.

The outskirts would be very difficult to inhabit and their lethality would be much like space is to the space station, in that going out there is practically a death sentence (and is very good for hiding corpses). It would be a wilderness setting, although since it's an alien planet we'd be able to take some artistic license with it. Deeper parts of the forest could have chasms that instakill you if you accidentally fall into them (like on lavaland). I imagine we could try to employ Remie's random generator system so they're not always the same. We could also employ hostile mobs that attack people who go too deep into the trees (again, like lavaland). Inhabiting the wilderness isn't impossible, but it is difficult (just like making space autism forts in space). Trees can be cut down and wildlife can be killed. We could also have bridges for crossing chasms (and they could be made of wood, to give it more use).

Since we're on a planet, we can also have new systems and random events. Weather would be a big one, with a night/day cycle that makes the outdoors difficult to traverse at night (and enrages the wildlife in the outskirts...). Hard rain that freezes people (and cleans off bloody clothes), hail that injures people and damages wires. More severe random events like earthquakes could also be implemented (for example, earthquakes could make the screen shake (like meteors), occasionally damage wiring, and cause people to trip and take damage if they're not near a wall). Wildlife attacks could also be another theme. A roofing system could be useful, but that can be a discussion for another time (perhaps we could use the system that making bases with the blueprints uses, in that if the base is atmospherically safe and sealed on all sides, it automatically gets a roof).

Ideally we could throw this into map rotation. Space z-levels might have to be overridden and replaced with generated forest levels. The jarring change in scenery could be very interesting for the game, and could allow for lots of new features (such as the colonization aspect that is practically absent on the Space Station).

Is it feasible? Can it be done? Should it be done? What are your thoughts?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Re: On-Planet Map

Post by cocothegogo » #169344

when did it change from space STATION 13 to space WORLD 13
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #169345

Totally in favor of trying this if someone actually did it.

ALSO SPACE STATION DOESN'T REQUIRE SOMEONE TO BE IN SPACE, SPACE INCLUDES PLANETARY STATIONS BECAUSE YOU'RE STILL IN SPACE JUST ON A PLANET
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #169346

Planet maps are just more fun in my opinion, coming from someone who's played on them before, they let players have way more freedom
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #169355

we junglestation now boi
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #169483

Newfags so new they don't remember the STARTOADtm orginal....

JUNGLESTATION
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #169487

JUNGLESTATION IS BACK
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #169494

Is it feasible? Yes.

Is it feasible to maintain a planetary station at its full potential, planet related events/weather and all while keeping it as part of the rotation back to space stations? That might be messier.

The only two things really stopping us right now are

1) A lack of a well fleshed out planet. I'm working on this.

2) People won't want to leave box/space, condemning such an effort to a novelty (or causing a big community split if its forced).

I have believed for years that SS13 would be better and have far more room to grow if placed on a planet though.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169525

A planet map would need soft and hard boundaries to progress, not to mention something to enhance security of areas such as the armory and AI upload. They are not nearly as secure when anyone can walk around the perimeter. A lack of vacuum will also make it difficult to kill people as an AI, as they can just stroll outside
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #169531

A planet (or moon) doesn't have to have a human-friendly atmosphere. It could be poisonous to breathe, have too high a pressure, too low a pressure, be subject to extremes of temperature, all that sort of stuff.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #169537

Or we could just make basil the space map and turn Sybil into the planet map and not allow map rotation on it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169569

i'd try it out
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169571

Shuttle between the two servers? Is such a thing even possible?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #169574

We could technically do that if we did it by prefs and made both servers into one big server?

We could have a pref that makes you spawn on the planet or station (your choice) with a shuttle in between

The downside is that this would be ridiculously hard to code, very intensive on the server because of all the tiles that need to be atmos active, and this would be pointless because why would you need two fully functional stations in one map
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #177535

woah haha you posted right as i bumped
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #177537

I didn't post that today what the fuck
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #177544

>zilenan thinking he knows how to code and the best way to do something like that

BYOND supports cross-server functionality
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #177555

Yes, and this would require both servers to be the same in attitude, functionality, and organization which you've said you don't want many times in the past.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Endozworld
Byond Username: Endozworld

Post by Endozworld » #177590

What about the third server? maybe use it as the planet?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #177848

Endozworld wrote:What about the third server? maybe use it as the planet?
ehhh, i don't like the idea of splitting our community.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #177849

I think it would work best with each major department as a building so like, you have a medsci complex, the brig complex, the Main complex (command and civilian), and the supply complex, with minor rooms scattered about
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177858

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I think it would work best with each major department as a building so like, you have a medsci complex, the brig complex, the Main complex (command and civilian), and the supply complex, with minor rooms scattered about
I like it but either combine science and supply or add security to the main complex.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #177867

Underground maintenance tunnels for Engineering with access ladders when?

Man, this reminds me of Doom 3. I loved those corridors.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #177890

DemonFiren wrote:Underground maintenance tunnels for Engineering with access ladders when?

There was an away mission with ladders and levels, why not the mining level be a ladder below maint?
Have it go
Command tower.
Departments.
Basements (backrooms)
Maint.
Mining.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #177894

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I think it would work best with each major department as a building so like, you have a medsci complex, the brig complex, the Main complex (command and civilian), and the supply complex, with minor rooms scattered about
This is kind of the idea I was going for. Each department is their own building. The space station has hallways between departments, the colony has trails between buildings.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177931

DemonFiren wrote:Underground maintenance tunnels for Engineering with access ladders when?

Oh, that'll be good. Maybe we will get some of that mysterious """paranoia""" this game is supposed to have
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177971

PLASMA PLANET! Plasma mens running around naked outside while humans need to get an environmental suit. Oxygen being the deadly gas in the weird pink atmosphere. RIVERS OF LIQUID PLASMA chemist goes out to snatch a beaker and a plasmacarp pulls him in!
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #177973

We dwarf fortress now
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177984

Incomptinence wrote:PLASMA PLANET! Plasma mens running around naked outside while humans need to get an environmental suit. Oxygen being the deadly gas in the weird pink atmosphere. RIVERS OF LIQUID PLASMA chemist goes out to snatch a beaker and a plasmacarp pulls him in!
>human breathes out ever
OH GOD WHYYYY
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #177998

Bouncing some ideas i had about this.
What if mineing is remade into the scavengers that must strike out to bring back food, water, guns and raw mateirals maybe tech they find along the way. Secuirty, engineering and R&D stay the same for their tasks to keep the buildings running smoothly. Could also split it up where players where divided between two or three hidden forts that are competing for resources, players always watching their backs trying not to be followed back home.

Have the player bases start inside hills or underground with secret entrances, with the option to expand down or into the mountain or build a trading outpost outside.

Events:
dust storms
Raiders
monsters tunneling though the floor in areas
rouge machines discovering the location of the base

Round end? a distress beacon is placed in each base, when pressed each other base and some ruines will recive the signal locating the base to other players, if the beacon lives for 25 minutes a rescue ship lands and picks up the survivors.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #178002

Lavaland station.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #178074

Sidon wrote:Lavaland station.
Aaand there it is folks 10/10 fund now
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #178076

Wot if a gas giant station so if you make a breach gas floods in and crushes you instead of flooding out and causing your bloods to burst.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #178082

I think lavaland might be a bit edgy and fantasy to have the main game take place in honestly.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #178083

If this map ever does get made we could have Lavaland be a series of subterranean caverns rather than a far off asteroid. Maybe have auxilliary cave entrances outside of the main outpost in the surrounding wilds. Really though making a planet map is a pretty big undertaking even beyond laying out the map itself. There is a ton of balance and game mode related stuff to consider, not to mention replacing every single Z level aside from maybe centcomm
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #178098

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Wot if a gas giant station so if you make a breach gas floods in and crushes you instead of flooding out and causing your bloods to burst.
I remember this KSP mod that allowed for inflatable balloons so this guy made a cool airship bungerope over the gas giant thing

kinda unrelated but i'd like to find the picture

basically, I like it but if we're in the atmos of the gas giant we're prolly all dead too, considering how much gravity they have.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #178122

That's what the anti-grav generator is for
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #178188

Wyzack wrote:If this map ever does get made we could have Lavaland be a series of subterranean caverns rather than a far off asteroid. Maybe have auxilliary cave entrances outside of the main outpost in the surrounding wilds. Really though making a planet map is a pretty big undertaking even beyond laying out the map itself. There is a ton of balance and game mode related stuff to consider, not to mention replacing every single Z level aside from maybe centcomm
Replacing other z-levels might not be as hard as you think. We have Remie's procedural wilderness generator already in the code, and we could do ruins the same way lavaland does it with them being randomly picked and placed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #178575

Lavaland station would be fine. It's not at all edgy.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #178679

Super Aggro Crag wrote:That's what the anti-grav generator is for
A machine that, once destroyed, immediately destroys the station. Maybe it slowly cracks the outer Windows???
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #179887

An idea I had for the planet map is that it would be a multi-z level affair on a planet, with the upper surface levels being nothing but a small security outpost with turrets that would have to be reloaded by engineers to fend off a trickle of respawning hostile NPC and possibly player mobs that would encroach upon the outpost from the dark, imposing jungle in the distance. If the mobs are allowed in they would likely murder everything inside and kill turrets, letting in additional mobs. Underneath the surface z-level would be where everyone else is, slightly underground where all the living quarters, kitchen, hydroponics bays, and other various current-station jobs are located. There would be periodic invasions of hostile tunneling mobs/player-controlled mobs that would require a response from the security or security-equivalent, and further into the caves would be completely unlit and pitch black territory filled with hostile organic plants akin to venus fly traps that catch and gib people, traps that are hard to avoid without prior knowledge, as well as a sparse amount of mobs to prevent people from suicide running for gear. There would also likely be turrets underground pointed towards cracks in the caves that monsters would occasionally spawn from and attempt to rush the civilians, baying for blood all the way. All turrets would shoot anything that comes in front of their cone of view, and require no upkeep but an occasional refilling of ammo that there is a plentiful amount of in engineering that is also used in their pistols that they would use to hunt mobs and defend themselves while performing upkeep.
Even deeper into the caverns down a static spawned pathway would be a ruined prior outpost set up by Nanotrasen, now the home/hive of an invasive species that must be cleared out by miners at the start of every round so they can use the only entrance within it to get to the more valuable mineral patches even deeper underground. Miners would be given assault rifles and possibly even merged with security to give them something to do. From there, they gun down the ridiculously numerous organisms, mining and smelting metal for ammo on the way, and then going into the Deepest of the Deeps. The Deepest of the Deeps would be mostly what lavaland is right now, with horrific daemonic mobs infesting and corrupting its very surface just under the hellscape blackness that is the caves above. The DotD would be incredibly mineral rich to offweigh the risk associated with killing the invasive mobs, have denser mobs around the miners' entry point, and also have much more unique loot and special ruins and secrets.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #179954

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Wyzack wrote:If this map ever does get made we could have Lavaland be a series of subterranean caverns rather than a far off asteroid. Maybe have auxilliary cave entrances outside of the main outpost in the surrounding wilds. Really though making a planet map is a pretty big undertaking even beyond laying out the map itself. There is a ton of balance and game mode related stuff to consider, not to mention replacing every single Z level aside from maybe centcomm
Replacing other z-levels might not be as hard as you think. We have Remie's procedural wilderness generator already in the code, and we could do ruins the same way lavaland does it with them being randomly picked and placed.
Something thats been bugging me is how z level transitions would work

Space works easy right now because the borders of each z level are featureless and blend in with each other but that's not the case for a planet zlevel. Would gates be an acceptable solution
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #179957

Different levels of it accessible by ladders would work decently.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #179958

Well, you're better off making underground caves or mountains if you want to extend the playable area. Z-levels in byond rarely work well with each other, Even lifeweb's creator knew this despite wanting to "make a huge map" which is really just as big as our maps anyway.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #179961

I'm pretty sure Lifeweb doesn't actually emulate gravity either, it probably just has teleportations between zlevels and deals damage depending on how many you fall, how heavy you are etc.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #180216

paprika wrote:Well, you're better off making underground caves or mountains if you want to extend the playable area. Z-levels in byond rarely work well with each other, Even lifeweb's creator knew this despite wanting to "make a huge map" which is really just as big as our maps anyway.
I suppose this could work too. The edges of the z-levels could have a big dome around them or something. I think that might be a lot harder to do, though, since then we'd have to fuck around with interactions of the terrain between z-levels and such.
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #180231

imblyings wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Something thats been bugging me is how z level transitions would work

Space works easy right now because the borders of each z level are featureless and blend in with each other but that's not the case for a planet zlevel. Would gates be an acceptable solution
Anything that provides a mostly solid barrier with a transition point you can map from a->b would probably work fine, cave entrances, ladders etc.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #180240

I was thinking tunnels but sure gates work as well