Optimizing the SS13 UI: Lanes & You!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Optimizing the SS13 UI: Lanes & You!

Post by paprika » #171856

Now anyone who's played a long time, especially in security roles or if they consider themselves robust, know what 'lanes' are.

Sure, maybe that isn't the word you use for it (if you have one at all), but you know what I'm talking about.

Let's consider some things:

Space Station 13 is a game of hallways. Visibility and projectiles are big parts of the gameplay in the main traffic areas of most maps, and while all maps are different in some way, most have these same kind of 'lanes'.

These are where your direct threats are, and need to be unblocked at all times. Currently, this isn't the case with the UI. People coming from the south of your screen have the jump on you because they could be hidden by your UI elements. It's horrible.

However, all is not lost. There are sections of the screen where you're very unlikely to have an enemy hiding under, and if you do, he's likely behind an obstacle do to the nature of ss13 maps.

I suggest we move the UI elements out of these three-tile-wide 'lanes' completely, which would not be that hard to do. It would allow a much better UI that almost never gets in the way on station maps.

Thanks for reading.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Re: Optimizing the SS13 UI: Lanes & You!

Post by Topham » #171869

I understand the problem but I'm iffy on the solution. I haven't paid enough attention to UIs before so I'd have to take a look at different examples, both good and bad. If I do do this, I'll try to share some examples I find.

To be fair, our UI as it stands actually does relocate some of the clutter into more compact and out of the way areas. Equipments and action buttons are what comes to mind.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #171877

Well you're always gonna be in the center of the screen, almost always gonna take projectiles from 4 directions, almost always gonna shoot in those 4 directions if you want to be accurate.

That's why it's important, at the very least, to have those 4 directions (as close to the center of the screen as possible) opened up so nobody has a disadvantage.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #171919

I never actually thought of it like that. Having things centered on the bottom feels more natural though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #172003

This is a very good idea. I'll look into UI code and start contacting spriters.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #172019

It feels more natural on the bottom because that's what other games do. SS13 is very atypical with it being from a topdown perspective, and unlike a lot of other games with isometric views it is NOT turn-based so the UI can and does get in the way when you don't need it to.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Topham

Post by Topham » #172023

I suppose if we want to try to change the UI, we might as well research what makes a UI good or bad. You don't have to read these, but I like learning about something before coming up with ideas for it.

Game UI By Example: A Crash Course in the Good and the Bad - Goes over the basic necessities of designing game UI, and poses good questions to ask yourself when designing one. Since SS13 UI is (and has to be) pretty minimal, I don't know how much it helps our issues here. This one also provides examples of good and bad UI.

User interface design in video games - Goes over different types of UI. With our shamelessly 2D spessmen game, this is only moderately useful, but a good read nonetheless.

Video game user interface design: Diegesis theory - Basically an expanded explanation of the above.
Zilenan91 wrote:It feels more natural on the bottom because that's what other games do. SS13 is very atypical with it being from a topdown perspective, and unlike a lot of other games with isometric views it is NOT turn-based so the UI can and does get in the way when you don't need it to.
This is true. It's hard to think of examples of other games that would be closely-enough related to SS13's gameplay style to make a decent comparison. As far as top-down games go, we have, what, shooters and adventure games? Shooters need hardly any UI and adventure games need shit-tons for all those menus and shit, and we're somewhere in between.

Off the top of my head, the best I'm thinking of is maybe putting the four intents on the top of the screen and...uhm...any of you not use hotkeys? Can we get an opinion from someone who doesn't use 'em? Because since I use hotkeys, I would literally just get rid of stuff like the stop pulling button, throw button, drop button, stuff like that. Maybe make the resist button bigger so you don't have to aim your cursor at a fucking tictac to stop being on fire.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #172031

Please if you mess with the UI make it an option. I quite like the current UI and do not much care about losing that small amount of visibility at the bottom of the screen
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #172042

Wyzack wrote:Please if you mess with the UI make it an option. I quite like the current UI and do not much care about losing that small amount of visibility at the bottom of the screen
I made the current UI and maintain what I said back then: A good unified experience is far better than offering options. The only thing that needless options do is create maintenance problems down the road and complicate development down the line. Yes, I know, "muh interface". I never said this was a popular stance, but it's the correct one in the long run as the alternative runs to more difficult development. The thing is, you can make options for absolutely everything. But you very, very quickly make your code completely unmaintainable this way. For this sort of stuff, opinionated and unified design is way better.

If you can improve the UI, improve it. Don't keep the current one because people are used to it, keep the one that is better. People will adapt. This comes with a warning though: Only change it if it's an improvement. If you can't create something, which is clearly and significantly better, then don't. Forcing people to adapt is sometimes necessary, but should only be done if there is a real benefit to it.

PS: You can put things outside the playing screen too. So you could have a completely empty 15x15 view with the interface around it. The issue (and reason why I didn't do that way back when) is sprite scaling. Running the game at 2x sprite size means that the best experience is with a screen 960 pixels high. This means the "play area", so without the byond header, the menus, the bottom description bar, the text input field and the windows task bar. As it turns out, that's how much space you have on a 1080p display. Adding an extra row of icons for the UI would cause the tearing that you see if you have "stretch to fit" enabled on non-1080p monitors or with byond not maximized. Unfortunately Byond uses nearest neighbour for scaling, which makes this awful. I used to play on a 768 pixel high laptop. It was awful. Each sprite was stretched to about 48x48 pixels, which meant that every other column of pixels was stretched horizontally to 2 pixels and every other row was stretched vertically to 2 pixels. This means that for every area of 2x2 pixels, the top-left one was normal, the bottom-left one was 2 pixels high, the top-right one was 2 pixels wide, and the bottom-right one was 2 pixels high and 2 pixels wide. Needless to say, it was horrible.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Topham

Post by Topham » #172046

LiamLime wrote:I made the current UI
it was you?

i love you
LiamLime wrote:I used to play on a 768 pixel high laptop.
you and me the same. i still play on it, everything looks like shit but i'm so used to it by now.

but yeah, the stuff you said, i agree. if you can come up with an interface that is legitimately better, prettier, more functional, whatever then we should just make the transition to that. i mean, take the older UIs for example. terrible. when LiamLime made our current one, people probably wanted an option to keep the old one, but everyone adjusted anyway and we're probably better for it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #172061

I'm not suggesting a re-make of the current UI, simply a moving of elements to make things more streamlined for everyone involved.

I'll show you some examples later.