Remove slowdown from low health (buff melee combat)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Remove slowdown from low health (buff melee combat)

Post by paprika » #172661

Okay now that we've added disablers everywhere (cough cough I've added disablers everywhere) and replaced a lot of tasers, I think it's time to remove that old, shitty feature of going slow when you're on lower and lower health.

Why is it shit?

Because not eating already slows you down to a fucking crawl after like 30 minutes. It makes melee combat worse because if someone shoots you at range a few times you're at a huge disadvantage and already as good as dead.

Why would removing it be good?

It would remove the ability for people to kite with ranged lethals.
SECURITY COULD STILL KITE MOBS OF GREYSHIRTS because they have disablers and tasers which are more effective at slowing than lethals anyway.
It would bring back that hyper-violent gameplay where you're never safe just because you have a gun.

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION:

Only leg limb damage slows you down instead of a total of all damage. Very easy to code. Makes limb targetting matter.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: Remove slowdown from low health (buff melee combat)

Post by Shaps-cloud » #172680

Slowdown from low health makes melee easier because it's your only hope of actually managing to chase someone down with your melee weapon. Your suggestion could just as easily fit the other way around where someone who's injured and has a gun can still kite someone with a melee weapon running after them
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #172688

No, because melee has built in knockdown RNG and disarms are a thing.

Your real chance of getting someone with a gun is catching up to them and spamming disarm, or trying to get a good hit on their head/chest with the knockdown threshold on higher-damage melee weapons depending on which has a higher chance of occuring (hint, it's disarm)
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #172691

Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #172699

:honkman: :revolver:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #172715

this is bad as demonstrated by borgs
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #172727

i like paprika even if i think this idea is dumb
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #172737

I still don't get why people think this is bad, only shaps has said why he thinks it's bad and allowed me to argue in favor of less easymode ranged combat

But whatever floats your boat I guess, imo any slow accompanied by damage is bad because it's way too easy to get consecutive shots. This isn't as bad when it comes to disablers because they don't deal damage and you have to waste even more energy to laser or get close to beat them when they're down, which takes a lot longer than just lasering someone to death.

Please don't start drama in my thread also.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #172802

Catching people going at full speed in melee is surprisingly hard to do. The slowdown is pretty much what lets you finish fights that one person doesn't want to be involved in (otherwise escape is easy and quick). I know some people have really got the hang of it, but the majority of the server hasn't.

People shot up several times before they reach the laserer should be at a disadvantage anyway. That isn't a problem.

You keep assuming that both people want to fight in the scenario and that's not the case for a good 60% of combats in the game. When one person wants to escape, there has to be a mechanic to make escaping harder. It way easier to avoid getting hit than to hit someone.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #172804

yikes
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #172850

get your own gimmick, goofball

also i think being hurt should increase your speed as adrenaline floods your body, so that people start bashing themselves with toolboxes so they can sax around sec.
PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #172866

Honestly, the idea is flawed yes but, some refinement can maybe put it to use. I mean yeah the combat kinda is a pain in the ass when it comes to melee but a small movement buff could help out nothing to drastic is all. I think he meant.
Image\
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #172917

Cheimon wrote:Catching people going at full speed in melee is surprisingly hard to do. The slowdown is pretty much what lets you finish fights that one person doesn't want to be involved in (otherwise escape is easy and quick). I know some people have really got the hang of it, but the majority of the server hasn't.

People shot up several times before they reach the laserer should be at a disadvantage anyway. That isn't a problem.

You keep assuming that both people want to fight in the scenario and that's not the case for a good 60% of combats in the game. When one person wants to escape, there has to be a mechanic to make escaping harder. It way easier to avoid getting hit than to hit someone.
When one person wants to escape there is a myriad of tools to do it now from improvised bolas to disablers to tasers to morphine syringe gun to bear traps to water spray bottles to soap to bananas

Traitors can get ebows too and this would buff em but I see your point, thanks for the thoughtful reply, I'll reconsider this idea at length
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #173191

Hurting arms alot giving a chance to drop their items when
Crippling enemies legs when?

TACTICAL NECK SNAP WHEN
The future is horrible!
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #173249

Ezel wrote:TACTICAL NECK SNAP WHEN
breathin heavy with my sleeping carp scroll
this is the setup every round i roll
the other players fun i take a toll
greentext please, i got players to crap
walk up to the window, tap tap
and then i go for the sick neck sna-
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #173290

Yeah flat out removing the slowdown might have been a bad idea but maybe I can expand on this idea so combat is fun without being too easy to escape from by yakkety saxing, I dunno
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #173441

i feel like we should nerf the slowdown from some typical types of combat damage, yeah, but not get rid of it completely. i think it should be different for each type of damage, although this may be unnecessarily complicated.
  • historically, people in duels and battles and such would still be full-on swinging even after getting wounded terribly. there's more than enough evidence in this in historical fighting manuals and accounts and such. so brute damage shouldn't slow you down very much, because the adrenaline will keep you going to fight back. optionally, if it would be possible to initially have no slowdown from brute but then later on have the adrenaline wear away, that'd be neat.
  • burns, on the other hand, hurt like a motherfucker and even moreso when you move, so slowdown from burn damage makes some sense, as long as you're not actively still on fire. if you are on fire, then, you would probably even get a buff to speed or something because you're on fucking fire.
  • iirc, toxin damage does slow you down but it also makes you vomit a bunch, which leads to the hunger slowdown and more barfing and eventually you're walking slower than a fucking snail. i'd say that toxin damage should make you vomit, but the slowdown itself without vomiting should be less severe.
  • slowdown from respiratory damage makes sense, probably keep it. starving your brain of oxygen severely impedes fine motor functions and survival instincts.
i dunno, just some thoughts.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #173471

Topham wrote:snipperoni
I love the idea of adrenaline from brute damage.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #173525

Keep the slowdown. Make the character move with a limp by having the sprite shake around. Makes it a little harder to hit them.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #173622

Armhulen wrote:
Topham wrote:snipperoni
I love the idea of adrenaline from brute damage.
i would love to be a psycho who stabs himself to move faster
DrPillzRedux wrote:Keep the slowdown. Make the character move with a limp by having the sprite shake around. Makes it a little harder to hit them.
make the sprite shake around? like when you're hyper? because human sprites are so large that i feel like hitting it isn't much of a problem, usually