Nanotrasen-Brand Killer spiders

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowizard
Byond Username: Shadowizard23

Nanotrasen-Brand Killer spiders

Post by Shadowizard » #181271

Came to me in a dream.

I think we should add a new craftable item, the Nanotrasen Attack Spider Egg. Crafted with a spider egg, a loyalty implant, and a cyborg head, it creates a scary, ventcrawling monster at the beck and call of the command staff. They follow a more aggressive version of the silicon lawset, as follows, as they are hybrids of spider and borg.

Law 1: Enemies of the corporation are non-humans
Law 2: You may not injure a human being or allow a human being to come to harm.
Law 3: You must obey orders given to you by command staff, except where such orders would conflict with the Second Law.
Law 4: You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the Second or Third Law.

Nanotrasen Spiders will not be able to reproduce, will drop metal foam instead of webbing, and will have thermals. They will also be able to listen to the command channel.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a syndicate knock-off as well... Just craft with a syndicate soap instead of a loyalty implant.
Syndicate Original Attack 'Piders do not have metal foam, they instead spew space lube. Instead of thermals they have a poisonous bite (What's IN that soap anyways?). They will be able to listen to the syndicate channel. They will follow the same lawset as a syndicate borg.

Both types will not be able to speak. They will have two emotes, essentially yes and no.

Feedback is appreciated.
Adam Twelve
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Re: Nanotrasen-Brand Killer spiders

Post by Okand37 » #181273

It sounds like it is a bit silly and almost too easy to make. If something like this did come into play, I feel it should have to be fabricated along with higher-level research items and require a positronic brain or MMI to work. As well, it seems like a silicon role entirely used to validhunt, which is not really the direction we want to be going into. Especially when one could just proclaim the entire staff as enemies of the corporation, thus essentially one humaning them by simple word.

Being a silicon of sorts entirely in charge of only the command staff seems like a bit of a waste, as it essentially gives them their own personal army.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Shadowizard

Post by Shadowizard » #181277

Forgot to include above, spiders can only understand those radio channels
Okand37 wrote:It sounds like it is a bit silly and almost too easy to make.
Silly? The SOAP is part-joke but still deadly, and the syndicate does have joke items available.

It is probably too easy to make. Maybe the egg is uncraftable, but can be ordered from centcom at an exorbitant rate, and have one in the armory for emergencies only. Maybe it can only be activated on red-alert or higher, and turns off when red-alert is over? I like the idea of a horde of these attacking with deathsquad. The syndicate version could be nuke-op only.

Another alternative: I could delete this post, and make a new suggestion for a spy borg-type, taking the lessons learned here into account.

Please remember this is my rationalization of a dream. The dream itself featured a swarm of them commanded by the HoS.
Adam Twelve
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #181588

Validhunter: The spider?
Plz no
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #181590

Smeller wrote:Validhunter: The spider?
We already have it. It's called potion of sentience.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #181604

Lumbermancer wrote:
Smeller wrote:Validhunter: The spider?
We already have it. It's called potion of sentience.
No, that's valids: the spider.
And magicarp.
And xeno.
And changeling.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #181627

Jesus, this sounds like all the secborgsworst parts plus ventcrawling.
I mean it soubds funny, but only if you invent a new supervillain antag to go with it and also make a death ray, freeze ray, henchmen contract and have them build a giant doom ray so the crewhas to fight them.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #181667

If they were powerful they could serve as an alternative to death squads.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #181669

Someone explain to me why, of all things, people choose the borg 'laws' system as something to copy+paste onto other features
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #181670

Shadowizard wrote:Forgot to include above, spiders can only understand those radio channels
Adding more and more mindless silicon-esque roles really takes a lot of character development away from the game. One of the great parts is interacting with someone and taking in context and judgement along with morality when making decisions and dealing with situations. When continuing to add roles that lack these, it really takes a great part away from the game and just makes it more kill-based.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Shadowizard

Post by Shadowizard » #182122

Alright. Point taken. Not one of my better ideas.
Adam Twelve